Qualities of a good neurologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samsara

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm considering a residency in neurology. This question is directed to current neurology residents: Which qualities/characteristics do you think are shared by all talented (clinically and academically) neurologists? What qualities do you like to see in your fellow residents?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just be a decent human being, show up in time for work, do your share, throw in a little extra every now and then when necessary, and you should be fine. :)

Being a good neurologist requires good intuition. Just like a good surgeon will have the talent of "great hands". You are born with it. You can cultivate it but some of that talent you are just born with. I have met very well read neurologists (academicians) that throw a quote at you every two sentences they say but who happen to be the worst clinicians ever.

Just an example...

Members don't see this ad :)
Most important things: what Buckley said.

Also important: Intellectual curiosity.

Thanks for your replies.

I agree with Buckley. However, I think these are qualities that every dedicated resident should strive for, and although they are important, I was looking for qualities/characteristics that distinguish neurologists from residents in other specialties. Any other thoughts?

BrainBuff mentioned intuition and exgatr mentioned intellectual curiosity. Neurology is known as one of the more "brainy" specialties, which may perhaps place residents at risk of loosing some of their intuition, because it seems that the diagnostic process in neurology is more mechanistic than in other specialties, and therefore leaves little space for intuition, or not? I can definately see how intelectual curiosity is more important in neurology than in other specialties.

Any other thoughts?

I have always thought that a good neurologist is a good 'detective'. Intellectual curiosity and intuition go pretty much together and the diagnostic process in neurologist is far from "mechanic". If anything, being rigid and "mechanic" in your analysis is what can get you to arrive to the wrong diagnosis.

I agree. The presentations are so varied, so you have to be flexible in interpreting them. My point in my earlier post is that if you want to be a neurologist, you can be one. You dont have to have any uber CSI cerebro-special qualities. I'm not so sure there are qualities that ought to separate us from our colleagues but I think that neurology may need more patience-- in that diagnosis and treatment time is usually longer, and yes, the neuro exam and the notes is longer :) Subjectively, I also find that neuro residents seem to be a quieter, less groupie set up. I like that.

I agree. The presentations are so varied, so you have to be flexible in interpreting them. My point in my earlier post is that if you want to be a neurologist, you can be one. You dont have to have any uber CSI cerebro-special qualities. I'm not so sure there are qualities that ought to separate us from our colleagues but I think that neurology may need more patience-- in that diagnosis and treatment time is usually longer, and yes, the neuro exam and the notes is longer :) Subjectively, I also find that neuro residents seem to be a quieter, less groupie set up. I like that.
Is there any field in medicine that lends itself to thinking, or will make me feel like a bl00dy genius if I am good? I had high hopes for neuro, but from what I gather, it turns out to be a pretty routine-esque job nonetheless. :(

I don't unerstand what you mean. Neurology (and most of medicine) is far from routine-esque. I thought it was one of the few perks of the job :laugh:

I have yet to meet an intern who felt like "a bloody genius" on the floors...

It would feel good just to feel some sense of competence. Trust me, there's enough intellectual challenge as it is.

I'm wondering if someone can give an example of "intellectual curiosity" in the field of neurology.
I love mechanism of diseases. And I especially love deducing the underlying mechanism of a collection of symptoms, signs and lab data. Do you think I have intellectual curiosity?

Thank you!

Well great characteristics to have would really be the same for most any specialty: kindness, intelligence, communication skill, patience etc.

My vote for best characteristic of a good neurologist would be a keen eye for observation/detail.

The neurological examination is elegant and detail-rich. It requires careful observational skill in order to be performed extremely well.

In my experience lots of medical students, non-neurology residents, and neurology residents themselves miss stuff on physical exam. Sure, they "examined" someone. But they often missed nifty little findings because they weren't really paying attention.

Well said :thumbup::thumbup:

Well great characteristics to have would really be the same for most any specialty: kindness, intelligence, communication skill, patience etc.

My vote for best characteristic of a good neurologist would be a keen eye for observation/detail.

The neurological examination is elegant and detail-rich. It requires careful observational skill in order to be performed extremely well.

In my experience lots of medical students, non-neurology residents, and neurology residents themselves miss stuff on physical exam. Sure, they "examined" someone. But they often missed nifty little findings because they weren't really paying attention.

An example of curiosity in a neurologist may be going beyond clinical neurology to dwell into the vast world of neuroscience. That's just for curiosity's sake and it will make you a better clinical neurologist in turn.

Neurology is one of the specialties with the most number of diseases. So much so that groups of different entities are bundled into "syndromes". With so much content, it would only become routine-esque if you draw yourself into a routine.

Neurologists in my opinion need to be methodic and systematic. Neurology signs and symptoms tell you so much about the localization and the nature of the diseases and if you dont do a proper and organized neuro exam you will miss. Nonetheless a neurologist also needs to master the "art" of therapy. With so many different antiepileptics, for example, choosing the right one for the right person at the right dose requires keen observation.

I think those are some of the characteristics of a good neurologist...