Q regarding going to a D.O. NS program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read in an earlier post something to the effect that is one does a DO neurosurgery residency, then he/she cannot be certified by the American Board of neurological Surgery. Is this correct?
If so, could any DOs in such a program shed any light as to if this could cause a problem with hospital privileges, etc.?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Board certification by the ABNS requires you to complete a residency accredited by the ACGME. The ACGME does not accredit D.O. residencies.

There may be a equivalent D.O. neurosurgery board, similar to the ABNS so that D.O. completing a D.O. neurosurgery program can be board-certified but I don't know of one.

I've just checked. The American Osteopathic Association does all the board certification in the osteopathic profession. You can become board certified by the American Osteopathic Board of Surgery by completing a residency in an AOA accredited neurosurgery program.

Members don't see this ad :)
mpp said:
I've just checked. The American Osteopathic Association does all the board certification in the osteopathic profession. You can become board certified by the American Osteopathic Board of Surgery by completing a residency in an AOA accredited neurosurgery program.

Thanks for the info, mpp. However, the original question still remains: is the AOA (ACOS) board certification equivalent to the AMA (ABNS) when it comes down to securing an attending/privileges post-residency?

I think the answer is that they are ''considered" equivalent certifications but, most likely, discrimination fogs the minds of those responsible for making these decisions...

mpp said:
Board certification by the ABNS requires you to complete a residency accredited by the ACGME. The ACGME does not accredit D.O. residencies.

There may be a equivalent D.O. neurosurgery board, similar to the ABNS so that D.O. completing a D.O. neurosurgery program can be board-certified but I don't know of one.

OF COURSE there is a certifying board. There are a number of DO ONLY neurosurg programs. gotta be certified somehow...

mpp said:

which is EQUAL to the md certifying board for all concerns legally, insurance, and practice related.

not equal how? well, you would have to ask certain mds for their opinion. that is the only way you will hear of discrimination.

I don't want this to sound like a "lifestyle" question, it's not. Regardless of what I choose it will be based on my love for it.
I am just competely ignorant of the world of neurosurgery. I hear various things regarding NS from "you will divorce your family" to "it's really not bad after residency". What does the day-to-day of NS entail? Just curious.

You'll really need to shadow some neurosurgeons to find out for yourself because people will tell you different things. But it certainly takes demands on your time; as much as probably any other specialty.

Procedures can be long and arduous. Outcomes at times can be poor. The patients on the floor can be very sick and require a lot of attention. Because of the nature of the nervous system and consequences of fiddling with it, the threat of lawsuit is always present. There is more than a fair share of neurosurgeons that think their career sucks and regret choosing this field. But there are also many that love what they do and have a great family life.

I think a lot depends on the practive environment and the type of cases performed. Expectation has a lot to do with it also. However, I could forsee in the future some neurosurgeons doing soley minimally invasive spinal procedures on an out-patient basis and living a very, very good life. But for now, it's not that way.

Working 12 hour days, every day; working more weekends than not, even in private practice is not unheard of. Even if there your school does not have a neurosurgery program see if you can find some neurosurgeons out in private practice that will let you follow them around for a day or two to see if it's for you. It can be tough to make that decision since your exposure may be very short, and, more than likely you'll have second thoughts regardless of what specialty you choose.