[Q] Prematch Offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdoc2b

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have interviewed several good pathology programs and today
I got a prematch offer from Washington University in St. Louis.

It looked like a pretty well organized program when I interviewed there but I would like to hear your opinions about this program.

I applied for AP/CP and I wonder if I should take the prematch
offer.

I also interviewed at Mass General and Cleveland Clinic but they
said they are not going to offer prematch and I don't know how
much chance I have with these programs.

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Could you tell me what sort of minimum qualification make a successful pathology applicant, since you are one.

Thanks

It is quite interesting to note that despite the increase in US grads applying to pathology this year, certain programs still offer prematch. Do they consider themselves less competitive or less attractive to US grads such that they offer prematch?

Members don't see this ad :)
even though everyone says that the number of AMGs has increased in applications to Pathology, the % of AMGs entering Pathology was low to begin with. Even with an increase in % of AMGs filling positions, i think the number of IMGs needed to fill the remaining positions is still decently high.

Getting to my point, i dont think that getting a pre-match offer translates into a program being inferior. Ive heard of people getting Pre-match offers at various somewhat desirable university programs.

i like to think that Pathology is unique in that applicants are not only judged by their USMLE scores, but on the basis of them *really* wanting to be pathologists. I know 2 program directors and both have relayed this to me during conversation. maybe that explains the pre-matches offered. if a candidate really shows interest and a REAL desire to be a pathologist, then he/she has an advantage.

im sure GreatPumpkin will know more about this...

unfortunately for me, next year, there is no pre-match!!! arggh.

cheers
rirriri

newdoc2b,

it sounds like a good opportunity man! but judging by the other places you have interviewed, it sounds like you are a stellar candidate for matching as well.

i guess it all comes down to how happy you are with Washington.

how would you have ranked Washington in a rank order list? near the top or bottom?

and here is another question this brings to mind...if you reject a pre-match offer, does that mean they will still rank you highly or will they move you down in the list thinking you have *less interest* in the program?

cheers
rirriri

I would say if you are getting prematch offers from decent path programs you should also do fine in the match.

I absolutely agree that programs want folks interested in pathology. And, nothing shows more interest than doing rotations at a program you are interested in going to. But, programs do look hard at scores as well. It is usually the only thing they have to directly compare applicants.

I wouldn't say if a program offers prematch positions it has any problems. I am sure they like the certainty of having people that these offers provide.

Can't really answer the question about whether they will rank you lower if you do not except the offer. They shouldn't, because they should rank who they want most just like the applicants should. But, some programs may not follow those sensibilities.

I agree there will still be plenty of FMGs that gain positions this year. But, it will certainly be tougher for them. Not that it wasn't before. Most FMGs that gain acceptance have outstanding stats.

So prematching ends next year?

yes....TECHNICALLY it is supposed to be finished.

maybe if GreatPumpkin can hurry up and become a Program director somewhere, HE WILL TAKE US ALL!!! haha

Hehe, Pumpkin has to do 5 years of path training, not the wimpy 4 years. Not that I am going to go academics anyway.