[Q]Nitrobenzene +Cl2/AlCl3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hunterpostbacst

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's on the kaplan subject test(orgo) and I understand Cl is attached to the meta position of Nitro-benzene. Then, why is it not added Cl more to the benzene? Cl is o/p and No2 is meta, so that there are two places being able to attach Cl more.

Members don't see this ad.

It's on the kaplan subject test(orgo) and I understand Cl is attached to the meta position of Nitro-benzene. Then, why is it not added Cl more to the benzene? Cl is o/p and No2 is meta, so that there are two places being able to attach Cl more.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question!

I do not have the exact problem in front of me, but if you have the NO2 group on the benzene ring, then add Cl, the Cl will go only to the meta position. Since the NO2 is deactivating, more Cl being added to the ring is not likely and will definitely not go to the op positions as activating groups direct to op.

Members don't see this ad :)
no2 is a deactivating...meta directing and so anything that gets added to the ring goes to the meta position

if its clorobezene then anything that gets added to the ring goes to the orto/para position because halogens are deactivating but orto/para directing...

can u tell me what subject test and what number it is? I don't think it's possible to add Cl2/AlCl3