Q for MGH residents or recent grads on categorical pgm at NWH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joseph1988

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(First post and didn't see this covered elsewhere, sorry if I missed it.)

MGH's 'categorical' program does not include the intern year at MGH, but rather far away at Newton-Wellesley Hospital. They mentioned there is an advantage however, as the categorical residents all begin anesthesiology residency first and together, with advanced residents starting later.

Any residents have any input on the categorical program? How was the year at NWH? Any disadvantages to doing a prelim medicine/surgery year somewhere else then joining later, would you be behind those who already started or left out of the loop?

Any other thoughts on the program would be great, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't answer your questions, but most categorical programs are better than the advanced ones for the simple reason that the categorical intern year is better designed around the needs of the anesthesia residency program. Plus interns usually get to rotate in their future anesthesia program for a month or two, which makes them more familiar with/to their future attendings.

Now if you can get a transitional year where you can design a similar or better mix of internal medicine/surgery/ICU/anesthesia with less scut work and stress, more power to you. Just be aware that, as a medical student, you don't know what you'll need to learn as an intern.

In my n=1 experience, internships at community hospitals are easier and more educational than those at big academic hospitals (less scut work, more and earlier responsibilities). However, you might get to do fewer procedures.

Last edited by a moderator:
MGH's 'categorical' program does not include the intern year at MGH, but rather far away at Newton-Wellesley Hospital. They mentioned there is an advantage however, as the categorical residents all begin anesthesiology residency first and together, with advanced residents starting later.
This is correct. The categorical residents actually start at MGH on June 1st, which is 1 month before the traditional July 1st start because that last month of intern year is like your anesthesia elective at MGH.

Any residents have any input on the categorical program? How was the year at NWH? Any disadvantages to doing a prelim medicine/surgery year somewhere else then joining later, would you be behind those who already started or left out of the loop?

Any other thoughts on the program would be great, thank you.

Can't really comment on the categorical year from personal experience because I did my intern year elsewhere, but the general consensus I've gotten from my coresidents that did do the intern year at NWH is that they learned a lot working, built great relationships with the MGH surgery and medicine residents and attendings, and, although not as easy as most TY, it's not as grueling as most of the other categorical intern years.

I personally had a preference for doing a TY and near my medical school. I'm happy with my decision and have absolutely no regrets. Starting later has no affect on your relationship with your coresidents or on your training. After a couple months, no one can tell who started when.

Love MGH and extremely happy with my decision!