[Q]Analogous features

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gegogi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why isn't this below false?

Analogous features loo similar and dissimilar embryological origins. (F)

I don't know why it's false. I think it's true.

Members don't see this ad.

This seems like a poorly worded question. Here's why:
It's true that analogous features are different in origin, but it's false to say that analogous features look similar. Let me give you an example to clarify this. Let's consider the wings of the bird and the wings of the fly. Bird wings are made out of feather; whereas, fly wings are membranous. So, these to structures are not similar, but they serve the same function (power of flight), which is why they're considered analogous. Now, it is true that due to the effect of convergent evolution, wings of different organisms have evolved to look somewhat similar, but the above example should clarify why wings of different organisms are not exactly identical. To avoid this kind of confusion we can define analogous structures as structures that are different in origin, but serve the same function (without focusing too much on how they look).

:thumbup: got this question wrong on the topscore test i just took, woulda been cool if i read this a day earlier :laugh:

Also, just to add some info: Homologous structures are similar in structure AND origin, such as the forelimbs of a cat and a dog... did i just compare a cat and a dog? i guess i did....

Last edited: