Putting together MD (and DO?) school list for International Student (520 MCAT, 3.73 GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlyingSashimi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As seen in the title, I'm putting together a list of schools to apply to this cycle. Looking at the new MSAR and my premed counselor's list of schools that frequently accepted graduates from my college, I narrowed my list to 10 schools that accepted at least 5 international students for this upcoming cycle. I wanted your help in expanding my list, since I would like to apply to at least 20 schools.

Basic info:
-Chemistry BA from top 3 liberal arts college.
-Cumulative GPA: 3.73, Science GPA: 3.55 (with upward trend in science gpa from ~3.4-3.5 from freshman&sophomore year to >3.7 in junior& senior year). Dean's list every semester
-MCAT: 519, not 520 (lowest subsection score was CARS: 128, highest subsection score was psych :132)

Clinical experience:
-70 hours shadowing in gen surgery, EM&ICU, neurology clinic, respiratory clinic
-did summer research in a lab the last 3 years of college (+500 hours)
-currently working as a clinical research assistant (+2000 hours and counting) in my gap year. Got 1 abstract published this year as second author. Currently involved in self-initiated research that will hopefully lead to a first author abstract publication in 2018

Stuff that make me stand out:
-I work as a freelance artist and have sold my paintings and other artwork for upwards of +$100. I had my art exhibited in professional gallery shows. I have won art contests from middle school to college, and once won an art merit scholarship that covered a whole semester of my college tuition. I was 3 classes short of completing studio art as a second major, and I received all A's and A+'s in my art classes. All of my ECs are art-related.
-I'm the first in my family to attend college in the US. I'm also the first in my family to pursue an MD, if that means anything.

Current school list:
Mt.Sinai, Albert Einstein, Columbia, NYMC, Weill Cornell, Northwestern, Sidney Kimmel, Stony Brook, Dartmouth, St. Louis.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

As seen in the title, I'm putting together a list of schools to apply to this cycle. Looking at the new MSAR and my premed counselor's list of schools that frequently accepted graduates from my college, I narrowed my list to 10 schools that accepted at least 5 international students for this upcoming cycle. I wanted your help in expanding my list, since I would like to apply to at least 20 schools.

Basic info:
-Chemistry BA from top 3 liberal arts college.
-Cumulative GPA: 3.73, Science GPA: 3.55 (with upward trend in science gpa from ~3.4-3.5 from freshman&sophomore year to >3.7 in junior& senior year). Dean's list every semester
-MCAT: 519, not 520 (lowest subsection score was CARS: 128, highest subsection score was psych :132)

Clinical experience:
-70 hours shadowing in gen surgery, EM&ICU, neurology clinic, respiratory clinic
-did summer research in a lab the last 3 years of college (+500 hours)
-currently working as a clinical research assistant (+2000 hours and counting) in my gap year. Got 1 abstract published this year as second author. Currently involved in self-initiated research that will hopefully lead to a first author abstract publication in 2018

Stuff that make me stand out:
-I work as a freelance artist and have sold my paintings and other artwork for upwards of +$100. I had my art exhibited in professional gallery shows. I have won art contests from middle school to college, and once won an art merit scholarship that covered a whole semester of my college tuition. I was 3 classes short of completing studio art as a second major, and I received all A's and A+'s in my art classes. All of my ECs are art-related.
-I'm the first in my family to attend college in the US. I'm also the first in my family to pursue an MD, if that means anything.

Current school list:
Mt.Sinai, Albert Einstein, Columbia, NYMC, Weill Cornell, Northwestern, Sidney Kimmel, Stony Brook, Dartmouth, St. Louis.

Thank you!

Hi! Did you get into medical school? I am also an international student applying this year and the process and odds for admission seem daunting.