Putting Myself Out There for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainPharmacy

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new member of SDN, but have lurked around for years. Just wanted to get advice from my fellow Pharmacists in training/Pharmacists. I am 21 days away from finishing my 3rd year of pharmacy school....hooray! However, I just wanted your take on this and please be constructive, as I can take it (pharmacy school gave me a beating already haha) and love the feedback on improving myself and what I can do. So a bit of a backstory, I am very shocked I am in Pharmacy school and made it this far. I was never one for school and didn't think I was smart enough. So going into that, pharmacy school was tough for me but I do love a challenge. My first year was a bit difficult because I was a semester system type of guy and had to adapt to quarter very quickly. I managed pretty well I think and got the groove of things. Second year however was an extreme nightmare ( I know it's the hardest year in pharmacy school), because as I was getting used to quarter, my school decided block system. Well that quickly went to **** for not only myself but the whole class. Classes were now 7 weeks instead of 14. Material was crammed so fast it was coming out my ass through my mouth haha. Needless to say, our school did not prepare for this very well that at the end of our Cardiology 2 class, over 25 students failed and they had to curve everyone 17% and everyone passed. (more on that...t wasn't our fault really as our professor was very bad and even our new Dean agreed and sent her in the summer to Houston to become a better professor.....current P2s are still struggling with her) It was a very hard year for me as I welcomed a baby boy that summer before and had to deal with all this ( but I'm not complaining as I felt it helped me grow as a person and learn to use time management better. It did take a toll on my mentally and physically for awhile but he helped me through it a lot!). My grades were not that good and I took lots of hits on my GPA. Come third year I was more refreshed and prepped myself a lot better for the year. Well it paid off and I have not got anything lower than a B (which I'm super stoked because I felt I can do this). Now for my question...haha, all that information to this. My GPA will barely be below a 3.00 (3.00 is wishful thinking because I'm hoping it may happen), and I wanted to know from you all if you think I should still apply or save my money and go find a job. I currently am working for a retail chain and have been there for 12 years ( was a tech since 08'). They do want to train me to become a possible manager, but I'm wondering if I should still apply?. I am currently the class vice president, CPhA grass roots delegate, and NCPA business plan coordinator. I have worked heavily with all California school on policies and procedures and was out in Washington D.C to speak to Capitol Hill early this March before being sent home the next day due to COVID-19 :(. I have accolades that may look good but feel my GPA will have them shut the door on me. I feel I'm a very personable person and love to converse with my fellow peers. So yeah, a short story about me follow by a request from you all. Again, I don't mind the constructive feedback because I rather have people be upfront than lie to me. I appreciate you guys taking the time to read this and looking forward to your feedback. Hope everyone is staying safe amidst this pandemic.
P.S- not trying to make anyone feel bad for me or anything, I've worked with the hand I dealt to myself. Just wanted to give an overview.

Members don't see this ad.

hey, i am graduating in june (grad ceremony cancelled, hooooray), but i got grad confirmation email and i am back home now, so i am just your upper-year.
if i were you, i wouldn't feel a bit sorrow for this pathetic profession. there are people having super high GPA and loads of ECs not matching anywhere this year. don't be discouraged, and plz consider alternative career options, ie, cs. this bs profession is never gonna make it even financially for A LOT of people, so take the chance when you still can.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone. I am new member of SDN, but have lurked around for years. Just wanted to get advice from my fellow Pharmacists in training/Pharmacists. I am 21 days away from finishing my 3rd year of pharmacy school....hooray! However, I just wanted your take on this and please be constructive, as I can take it (pharmacy school gave me a beating already haha) and love the feedback on improving myself and what I can do. So a bit of a backstory, I am very shocked I am in Pharmacy school and made it this far. I was never one for school and didn't think I was smart enough. So going into that, pharmacy school was tough for me but I do love a challenge. My first year was a bit difficult because I was a semester system type of guy and had to adapt to quarter very quickly. I managed pretty well I think and got the groove of things. Second year however was an extreme nightmare ( I know it's the hardest year in pharmacy school), because as I was getting used to quarter, my school decided block system. Well that quickly went to **** for not only myself but the whole class. Classes were now 7 weeks instead of 14. Material was crammed so fast it was coming out my ass through my mouth haha. Needless to say, our school did not prepare for this very well that at the end of our Cardiology 2 class, over 25 students failed and they had to curve everyone 17% and everyone passed. (more on that...t wasn't our fault really as our professor was very bad and even our new Dean agreed and sent her in the summer to Houston to become a better professor.....current P2s are still struggling with her) It was a very hard year for me as I welcomed a baby boy that summer before and had to deal with all this ( but I'm not complaining as I felt it helped me grow as a person and learn to use time management better. It did take a toll on my mentally and physically for awhile but he helped me through it a lot!). My grades were not that good and I took lots of hits on my GPA. Come third year I was more refreshed and prepped myself a lot better for the year. Well it paid off and I have not got anything lower than a B (which I'm super stoked because I felt I can do this). Now for my question...haha, all that information to this. My GPA will barely be below a 3.00 (3.00 is wishful thinking because I'm hoping it may happen), and I wanted to know from you all if you think I should still apply or save my money and go find a job. I currently am working for a retail chain and have been there for 12 years ( was a tech since 08'). They do want to train me to become a possible manager, but I'm wondering if I should still apply?. I am currently the class vice president, CPhA grass roots delegate, and NCPA business plan coordinator. I have worked heavily with all California school on policies and procedures and was out in Washington D.C to speak to Capitol Hill early this March before being sent home the next day due to COVID-19 :(. I have accolades that may look good but feel my GPA will have them shut the door on me. I feel I'm a very personable person and love to converse with my fellow peers. So yeah, a short story about me follow by a request from you all. Again, I don't mind the constructive feedback because I rather have people be upfront than lie to me. I appreciate you guys taking the time to read this and looking forward to your feedback. Hope everyone is staying safe amidst this pandemic.
P.S- not trying to make anyone feel bad for me or anything, I've worked with the hand I dealt to myself. Just wanted to give an overview.
I wouldn’t waste my time with residency, especially if the GPA is below 3.5. In fact residency is subjective that fitting in is given more priority than skills/aptitude. There are people with high GPAs and stellar ECs not getting matched due to not fitting in. So don’t waste your time.

If you are still in school, would drop out and pivot to something else like CS

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation with my school changing from quarter--> semester --> block every year. I think that having a low GPA is definitely going to hurt and limit your chances at some programs. Most programs have GPA cut off at 3.0. I wouldn't argue that if your GPA is below 3.5, you shouldn't apply. Mine was 3.2 and I matched in a desirable area of SoCal.
My advice for you is to be realistic with yourself and apply to programs in rural areas or new programs, those will be less competitive than large AMCs and "brand name" programs. Research or ask the residents about GPA cutoffs of the program, if your GPA is low than the cutoff, dont apply there because they will not look at your app. Since you have low GPA, I would say that LOR would be a great way to advocate for yourself, so make sure to do great on rotations. and LOTS OF NETWORKING!!

Reactions: 1 user
I was in a similar situation with my school changing from quarter--> semester --> block every year. I think that having a low GPA is definitely going to hurt and limit your chances at some programs. Most programs have GPA cut off at 3.0. I wouldn't argue that if your GPA is below 3.5, you shouldn't apply. Mine was 3.2 and I matched in a desirable area of SoCal.
My advice for you is to be realistic with yourself and apply to programs in rural areas or new programs, those will be less competitive than large AMCs and "brand name" programs. Research or ask the residents about GPA cutoffs of the program, if your GPA is low than the cutoff, dont apply there because they will not look at your app. Since you have low GPA, I would say that LOR would be a great way to advocate for yourself, so make sure to do great on rotations. and LOTS OF NETWORKING!!
You are an exception not the norm. Even rural residency programs are getting competitive. OP can try it if he or she wants to. But the odds of getting a residency with a low GPA are few and far between. OP would also need some clinical research and get straight A in all the rotations. Then, OP would have a chance