Purpose of Visiting Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foodcoma

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to finish up my visiting rotation in a few days and I wanted to know if i should be asking for a letter of rec for my ERAS application. I've been told that asking for a letter is NOT advisable since other programs will see that i did a rotation elsewhere (i.e. not their program) and will consider it an offense. However, this institution is higher ranked than my home institution in philly and i always believed that it could be impressive to have a letter. So then if not to get a letter, what is the real purpose of doing a visiting rotation (apart from showcasing your skillz?)
peace out

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about to finish up my visiting rotation in a few days and I wanted to know if i should be asking for a letter of rec for my ERAS application. I've been told that asking for a letter is NOT advisable since other programs will see that i did a rotation elsewhere (i.e. not their program) and will consider it an offense. However, this institution is higher ranked than my home institution in philly and i always believed that it could be impressive to have a letter. So then if not to get a letter, what is the real purpose of doing a visiting rotation (apart from showcasing your skillz?)
peace out

I'd get the letter

Members don't see this ad :)
peace out

Thats a total load of BS. Get the letter.

Get the letter, but I think doing an away rotation also allows you to demonstrate that you are extremely interested in a certain program and that you are a hardworker to boot!

Peace,
John

I think it's worth asking for the letter if you think it will be a good one. You don't have to send it to all the schools. When programs see a letter from their school they will definitely weight it more than letters from other people... for better or worse.

The other point of an away rotation is getting to know about the program and helping them know about you. If you read your own application and personal statement and a couple letter's of rec - would you feel like you knew yourself? No way - that's the whole point of an interview. Get to know what you're really like above and beyond what you've done.

I think that's the key distinction - interviews and aways tell people who you are. Not what you have done. :)