Pulmonary shunt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nick8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I want to assess a lung shunt in a patient who is on a ventilator, do I have to set FiO2=100% or I can assess the shunt on any FiO2?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it was 100% O2, but my memory fades me at this point.... I'll relearn it for Step 3/internship/residency.

If you're talking about the calculation of shunt fraction from the forumla below, then yes.

Qs/Qt = (CcO2 - CaO2) / (CcO2 - CvO2)

FiO2 is set to 1.0 to make the calculation of CcO2 easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're talking about the calculation of shunt fraction from the forumla below, then yes.

Thank you for your answer.
However does the shunt depend on FiO2? If yes, Iwill have different shunts in different sets of FiO2 in one patient.

Thank you for your answer.
However does the shunt depend on FiO2? If yes, Iwill have different shunts in different sets of FiO2 in one patient.

Traditionally, I believe the thinking is that the shunt equation, when calculated with an FiO2 of less than 1.0 will be a mix of both shunt and venous admixture as opposed to shunt only.

Which is to say, FiO2 is set to 1.0 to assume a ScO2 (sat post-ventilated capillary) of 100%

Unless you have crazy diffusion impairment, you can simplify this equation to:

Shunt % = (1-SaO2)/(1-SvO2)

The shunt fraction does not depend on the FiO2, but the PO2 and SaO2 and SvO2 will