Pulm Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alicealicealice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a med student going into IM with both pulm consult and MICU subs coming up. I am interested in Pulm/CC and really want to do well on both rotations for possible letters. I read the stickied ICU book thread and just bought Marino since that seemed to be both classic and comprehensible and will likely serve me well during residency.

However, i was wondering what book, if any, might be best to review for a month of straight pulm, which consists of outpatient clinic and inpatient consult? I was planning on reading costanzo again to review the basic physio...what additional reading would you recommend to a motivated student that would be more clinically relevant (if not a book, perhaps key studies or review articles that are considered foundational)?

Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad.

the pulmonology forum -- a subforum of internal medicine -- may give you a better response

(although two prominent posters there also post here)

HH

Thanks HH. Im probably missing it, but I don't see a dedicated pulm forum under IM subspecialities.

Members don't see this ad :)
There isn't a dedicated Pulm forum. Which I'm am a bit cross about.

Pulm can be such a tricky bitch I think it's often hard to have enough context to even use a Pulm book starting out. I like the review of pulmonary physiology - always helpful. Pulm kind of breaks down into three big questions: 1) why is this patient dyspnic?, 2) why is this patient hypoxic?, and 3) WTF is THAT on the chest imaging??? (honorable mention: why does this patient have an effusion?, usually before they've sent the basic labs and tried to figure out themselves) (Disease specific Pulm is mostly guideline driven and straight forward) and I'm not sure I've ever found a book that I thought was good for walking you through the big unknown questions in Pulm. However for a pocket book, I kind of liked the wash manual for Pulm consult and I think of the non-textbook guides that I've looked at it does the best of giving just enough information.

ATS has a reading list. Just google "ATS reading list" familiarize yourself with th consensus statement on ILD and the consensus staying on idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Keep a handy staging guide to lung cancers in your pocket.

That should be a deece start.

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome, thank you! Googling CXR interpretation yields tons of seemingly good sites, but also if you know of any particularly great guides Id appreciate that as well.

Awesome, thank you! Googling CXR interpretation yields tons of seemingly good sites, but also if you know of any particularly great guides Id appreciate that as well.

Pulm looks at chest imaging in context. You won't look at the imaging the same as the radiologist. I don't suggest any imaging books. I simply suggest looking at the imaging of the patients you see. Too much is non-specific by itself and requires the context of the history and exam. Important Pulm pattern recognition occurs in context.

There is no good simple book that I've ever found for pulm, as you had to take the clinical/radigraphic/pathological correlation in context. I'm a fan of the pare and fraiser approach, and their book, but sadly that book hasn't been updated in a while, it's also..a few thousand pages. The best brief book is By Nestor Müller, diseases if the lung. I used it as a quick study book I read through a few times prior to boards.

How do you guys feel about Murray & Nadel's? I've heard that's like the bible for pulmonary medicine.

Principles of Pulmonary Medicine is good - http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Pulmonary-Medicine-PRINCIPLES-WEINBERGER/dp/1455725323

Clinical Respiratory Medicine - http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Respiratory-Medicine-Expert-Consult/dp/1455707929

The Washington Manual Pulmonary Subspecialty - http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Manual®-Pulmonary-Medicine-Subspecialty/dp/0781743761

My favorite book, which was recommended by my attending during my CICU rotation last year, is this - http://www.amazon.com/Critical-Care-Study-Guide-Review/dp/0387773274 - it's a critical care book, but there is great Pulm material in it... It was my attending's "bible" in his fellowship training, I guess he was biased because it was written by his attendings at Temple Pulm/Critical Care Dept, where he went...either way, it is really well written

Like others have stated, you can find some great material online regarding the interpretation of chest X-rays (I.e. Google "signs in thoracic imaging LSU" and should find an awesome power point)...
I can tell you from my experience, in regards to CXRs, I remember only a year ago or so being so intimidated by them....Lol....my third and forth year in med school I can remember so many times looking at a CXR and thinking to myself that it looked bad...only to have my attending look at it for like 3 seconds and say the total opposite...or read the official rads note transcript that said, "no acute abnormality." I remember thinking, "how long is it going to be before I ever feel confident enough to say a CXR has no acute changes?"
Well, a few months into my intern year, after 2 blocks of medicine, a block of ICU and a block of Peds ER, differentiating b/w a good set of lungs vs a bad set is so much easier...it really is night and day. It's funny how much more one learns clinically after graduating....the rotations aren't any different than the ones you take in medical school....but, you end up taking in so much more and growing so much more as a physician once the restrictions of a medical student are lifted. It's quite amazing...
Shizer! This was a thread on book suggestions and I digressed like a crazy man...my bad...Good luck on your rotation and future!