Puerto Rico Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAwsome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to and/or received an interview in Puerto Rico derm program? I wonder how many applicants they have.

Members don't see this ad.

DrAwsome,

Dude, you have to calm down. Still a long ways to go. You're reminding me of me, which is bad because I'm headed to an early grave. Remember the words of Kralwok, "no interviews until a day before thanksgiving, ended up with 9 total." This single phrase is keeping me from dropping the hair dryer into the bathtub whilst I lather my sweet meats.

At the end of this whole thing you'll be sending puerto rico a postcard of your taint with the punchline "taint never gonna get this, suckas!"

Members don't see this ad :)
DrAwsome,
Remember the words of Kralwok, "no interviews until a day before thanksgiving, ended up with 9 total." This single phrase is keeping me from dropping the hair dryer into the bathtub whilst I lather my sweet meats.

You have to remember, though, I didn't match ;). But seriously, it is still early. I know a lot of programs have sent out invites, but there are many many left. Also, many of the programs that have sent out invites will be sending more.

Wish I could have applied to PR derm. I think it would be fun to live there for a few years -- it's warm, nice beach, probably laid back. Unfortunately my spanish isn't good enough.

You have to remember, though, I didn't match ;). But seriously, it is still early. I know a lot of programs have sent out invites, but there are many many left. Also, many of the programs that have sent out invites will be sending more.

Wish I could have applied to PR derm. I think it would be fun to live there for a few years -- it's warm, nice beach, probably laid back. Unfortunately my spanish isn't good enough.

Do they mainly taken University of Puerto Rico grads? Does anyone have any info on past residents there?

Do they mainly taken University of Puerto Rico grads? Does anyone have any info on past residents there?

They usually take iguanas. When they run our of iguanas they take manatees.

In both cases, they better damn well speak spanish!

i would greatly appreciate it if you would stop with the hilarious posts. they are causing unwelcome interruptions in my incessant weeping, leading to awkward moments at my pity party for one. thanks in advance for your cooperation ;)

There's been a pity party in my pants since the day I was born.

DrAwsome,

Dude, you have to calm down. Still a long ways to go. You're reminding me of me, which is bad because I'm headed to an early grave. Remember the words of Kralwok, "no interviews until a day before thanksgiving, ended up with 9 total." This single phrase is keeping me from dropping the hair dryer into the bathtub whilst I lather my sweet meats.

At the end of this whole thing you'll be sending puerto rico a postcard of your taint with the punchline "taint never gonna get this, suckas!"

I know. :( I just have this horrible feeling I won't match! I have seen quite a number of people not match at my school and I worry that I'll have the same fate. The only thing that's keeping me sane is that I have a pretty decent number of prelims currently so I'll least I'll match (hopefully!) to one of those programs and then I can maybe connect with a derm program where I do prelim or something if things don't work out! To be honest, if going to Puerto Rico is what it took for me to do derm, I'd gladly do it. :) At least you have 3 interviews sore eye assess. Congrats for getting them but it's tough for those of us who don't have anything. :(

Kralwok,

You had so many interviews!! How come you didn't match? I find that so surprising. I know a number of people who had 3 or 4 interviews and matched. You have to be awsome to have gotten 9 interviews! Did you try to re-connect with the programs that interviewed you or anything?

hm.. i didn't know they had dermatologists in puerto rico...

in reference to the above posts, i had 3 interviews at turkey day, 15 total. most interviews come late. it's not time to put your hopes outside the states quite yet. i have no idea how the puerto rico programs work or how popular they are...

Members don't see this ad :)
hm.. i didn't know they had dermatologists in puerto rico...

in reference to the above posts, i had 3 interviews at turkey day, 15 total. most interviews come late. it's not time to put your hopes outside the states quite yet. i have no idea how the puerto rico programs work or how popular they are...

Wow that's awsome. I take it you matched in derm right? :)

i am socially ******ed :confused:

I highly doubt that. That's a pretty good number of interviews you got! You should ask your school to take you as outside the match or do a fellowship or something. You clearly have what it takes.

I highly doubt that. That's a pretty good number of interviews you got! You should ask your school to take you as outside the match or do a fellowship or something. You clearly have what it takes.

ummm, yeah, unfortunately that is not how it works around here.
i have heard that it is much harder to get interviews the second time around and am now starting worry that is true. you would think programs would take pity on a well qualified applicant who "slipped through the cracks", but that doesn't seem to be the case so far. only time will tell...

ummm, yeah, unfortunately that is not how it works around here.
i have heard that it is much harder to get interviews the second time around and am now starting worry that is true. you would think programs would take pity on a well qualified applicant who "slipped through the cracks", but that doesn't seem to be the case so far. only time will tell...

That's interesting. I know a number of the residents and even classmates who got in on the second time around. Have you not had any luck with your own school?

That's interesting. I know a number of the residents and even classmates who got in on the second time around. Have you not had any luck with your own school?

Umm... don't want to go into details, but I would be very surprised if my home school took me even though the PD is willing to go to bad for me at other programs. :shrug:

Umm... don't want to go into details, but I would be very surprised if my home school took me even though the PD is willing to go to bad for me at other programs. :shrug:

:( Sorry to hear that. I think I am officially giving up. I don't have a single darn interview, not even from my own school, despite working in the PD's lab and being loved by the faculty. I guess derm is not in the cards for me. :(

Hang in there kralwok! I think you'll be fine.

:( Sorry to hear that. I think I am officially giving up. I don't have a single darn interview, not even from my own school, despite working in the PD's lab and being loved by the faculty. I guess derm is not in the cards for me. :(

Hang in there kralwok! I think you'll be fine.

I know it is easy to lose hope, but don't give up just yet. Last time I applied I had no interviews at this point, but the next thing you know I got a phone call from Yale of all places inviting me to interview. It seemed totally crazy considering I had NO interviews, but then they just kept rolling in from there. I sincerely hope this will be the case for you.

I know it is easy to lose hope, but don't give up just yet. Last time I applied I had no interviews at this point, but the next thing you know I got a phone call from Yale of all places inviting me to interview. It seemed totally crazy considering I had NO interviews, but then they just kept rolling in from there. I sincerely hope this will be the case for you.

Thanks, but I am not sure this is going to happen for me. I mean if great candidates like you slip through the cracks, I don't think I stand a chance!
Despite all the work I've put into my MD and grad degree, it seems like I am just not good enough. Oh well.

I just don't know what else to do. My electives obviously were geared towards derm. How can I possibly apply to something else, even after a prelim?

This is depressing. :(

Thanks, but I am not sure this is going to happen for me. I mean if great candidates like you slip through the cracks, I don't think I stand a chance!
Despite all the work I've put into my MD and grad degree, it seems like I am just not good enough. Oh well.

I just don't know what else to do. My electives obviously were geared towards derm. How can I possibly apply to something else, even after a prelim?

This is depressing. :(

Keep your chin up. So much of it is luck, who you know, being in the right place at the right time, etc... I don't know how "great" I am, but what I do know is that I know a lot of people who have matched that don't have the greatest board scores or grades but had some other quality residency programs were looking for I guess.

Not saying this will happen to you, but I was told by my dean that you can scramble into something else entirely at the scramble even if you match a prelim. You can back out of the prelim, and it won't be a match violation if you decide you want to do e.g. psych or peds or whatever else you desire. Also, there are tons of specialties that require a prelim year and have pgy-2 spots outside of the match. I know this is particularly true for anesthesiology. Point being, there are tons of options open to you if this does not work out or you decide you are ready to give up. If you are a great candidate, other specialties will be begging for you even if you have only shown an interest in derm.

(But don't give up now cause it is still early.)

hi Dr Awsome, do not give up hope. You may match into derm.

I had a buddy that did not match into Ortho (was probably about as competitive as derm at the time). He took a prelim spot in IM and went onto Pulmonary/Sleep Medicine. He is now probably rolling in the money and has time to enjoy it.

Try to keep a positive perspective. You will do okay, even if you do not match into derm.