MA/MS Pubs during Master's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroPsychosis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi again,

As I am making my decisions to which programs to go, I am leaning more towards accepting a Master's at this point and then apply to top PhDs afterwards (I am targeting a top PhD. but too late for apps & not the best UGPA). My question is, during master's program, I am aiming to make myself a better candidate for the PhD programs. Other than GPA, how does publishing usually work in a master's program? Or how do I at least get to be an author in some pubs?

If I go for the Master's Plan:

-Get good GPA
-Full time Research lab job
-Get on some Pubs

It would be greatly appreciated for only those who went through a master's route to their PhD to answer this question as being relevant to such an experience is a lot helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Other than GPA, how does publishing usually work in a master's program? Or how do I at least get to be an author in some pubs?
Publishing in a master's program works like in any other scenario, including in a full-time research assistant position. If you develop research questions and conduct your own analyses on either an existing data set, or through a new project with your own data collection, then you can write the paper with the help of your mentor. Your mentor may ask you -- or you may ask your mentor -- to assist on papers.

The typical route in a master's program would be to publish your master's thesis, but it's possible (and recommended, depending on how competitive the programs to which you want to apply are) to do more than that. When you join a lab, ask the PI about opportunities to publish.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a number of research focused masters programs (both clinical and non-clinical) with a design towards feeding into doctoral programs. There are a few listed in an earlier thread but I'll recount those that immediately come to mind from that thread - Ball State, Western Carolina University, Wake Forest, Eastern Kentucky, Eastern Carolina, Texas El Paso, and Barry. I believe there were some others as well. Typically the model in these programs is heavy and early involvement in formal 'research courses' where you are thrown into ongoing projects and expected to produce papers for submission rather quickly. I went through one and, from my masters efforts, came out with several publications, including two first author.

I would recommend you pick a MA/MS program with this as a focus rather than 'clinical' experience. The APPI doesn't allow you to list the clinical hours in the same way as doctoral hours. Meanwhile, research is listed the same (e.g., how many publications do you have). These programs are also designed explicitly to place students in doctoral training programs and often have very good routes to do so. Thus, you have to do less 'discovering how to get involved' and more 'doing what is required/expected of the program' to get the research you need.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the input,

One of the programs I was admitted to & showing interest in, is a pre-doctoral (theory & research) track with clinical emphasis at Pepperdine University. I did not apply to the MFT track because they stated it takes longer and has a licensure requirement to those who wants to practice right away (sounded merely clinical). Since I am aiming for a PhD program, I chose the general, shorter track. Going for the requirements of the program, there seem to be a writing requirement and community project with two domains (domain 1- research, domain 2- clinical site) which one of them states:

"Domain I will focus on an in-depth original research project that includes either a more extensive critical literature review or a research study which includes a briefer literature review, secondary data analysis, results, and discussion. Both types of research projects will be written according to American Psychological Association guidelines" (PSY 691)

I believe that is sort of their way of a "thesis" requirement? Since I am not in graduate school yet, I am unaware what would it feel like to be able to have a hand in publishing (Although I did in undergraduate at a local campus journal). Also, will it take less than a year to have a pub on file? Since next fall I would be applying to PhDs, I am aiming to have something by the time of application.

I believe that is sort of their way of a "thesis" requirement? Since I am not in graduate school yet, I am unaware what would it feel like to be able to have a hand in publishing (Although I did in undergraduate at a local campus journal). Also, will it take less than a year to have a pub on file? Since next fall I would be applying to PhDs, I am aiming to have something by the time of application.

If you are talking about writing and publishing a manuscript in a decent, referred journal, it will generally take more than a year. Heck, sometimes the submission to acceptance can take a year alone.

Reactions: 1 user
"It depends" is the answer. Very often it will take more than a year. Other times it goes much faster. I've had stuff that drug out in review for almost 2 years between the revisions and the long reviews before it showed up online. I've had other stuff written, accepted, and in print in under a year- also in good journals. I believe the average is 1.5 years but thats a wild recollection and there is substantial variability. If you show several under review and presentations stemming from them during application, as well as strong evidence of you acting as a lead - doctoral programs like this. Those feeder programs (the good ones) are aware of the steps/ways to promote you effectively.

As you consider programs, ask about what % of students are successful at entering doctoral programs and the names of some programs graduates attended.

I’m currently in a experimental psych master’s program for exactly the reasons you mention. I am working on a paper as first author for one professor. I am also wrapping up my first research project in the program with another 1-2 to follow. My program has classes about publishing and definitely encourage it. Realistically, I will have one paper in pub and hopefully 2 in process within the next 4 months.

Reactions: 1 user