Public Perception of ODs vs OD Perception of ODs

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

That's a really ironic opening you have there. Why don't you listen to your own advice and let it go? It appears others in the thread have.

Because I have devoted all of two posts to the topic. With this to be my last. I'm not abnormally obsessed with the issue. You've devoted dozens. There's a big difference.

The belief of several people, heck one hundred million Americans didn't create WMD in Iraq. Belief in itself doesn't constitute "right" from "wrong".

Um, totally off topic...

If you are going to use "redundant", then I will no longer challenge that (although truthfully it isn't - you can be an MBBC, an MD, or a DO, and STILL be a family physician). But if you use "wrong" in association with character flaws of the "perpetrator", then that implies a fundamental error/sin in its use, which is beyond provability of you or anyone who frequents this forum.

Oh, and BTW,

Dr. John Doe, MBBC, isn't calling himself doctor twice.

Dr. John Does, MBBC doesn't exist. Perhaps you are thinking of the MBBS? If so, in the U.S. someone with an MBBS is granted the right to use the MD designation after their name, so moot point. In the U.K. Dr. John Doe, MBBS, Surgeon actually ceases to call himself doctor completely. Totally different conventions. I assumed we are discussing the U.S.

Again, you don't know their reasons for using the "redundancy". Why assume malice? Maybe they aren't arrogant at all. Perhaps they are so insecure about themselves, that they have to put Dr. John Doe, MD just to feel adequate.

The point is you don't know. On an issue like this, why can't you let people do what they want? I don't care if my next door neighbor writes Dr. and titles. And why should you?

It has nothing to do with "letting" them do what they want. Do not put words into my mouth. They are free to call themselves whatever they want within legal reason, and no one has stated otherwise. I am not trying to stop them. I simply find it to be (objectively) rarely practiced and (subjectively) distasteful. Seems like you are the one trying to stop everyone else from having that opinion.B]

Members don't see this ad.

It has nothing to do with "letting" them do what they want. Do not put words into my mouth. They are free to call themselves whatever they want within legal reason, and no one has stated otherwise.

So you concede, now, that it is not "wrong" (your words) to use Dr. John Doe, MD.

Does this webpage reflect an appropriate use of the title Dr.?

http://www.ucalgary.ca/~psyctree/deptdir.htm

(on the page, you will find)

Dr. Hussam-Ui H. Bawa
MBBS
Assistant Professor

Dr. Jennifer Fisher
MBBS, MRCPsych, FRCPC
Associate Professor

Dr. Safeer Khan
MD, MBBS
Lecturer

Dr. Adeyinka Marcus
MBBS, MRCPsych, FRCPC
Assistant Professor

Dr. Muhammad Naseer
MBBS, MD, DAPAN
Lecturer

Dr. Toba Oluboka
MBBS, FRCPC
Assistant Professor

Dr. Abdul Rahman
MBBS, MRCPsych, FRCPC
Assistant Professor

Dr. Nandini J. Singh
MBBS, FRCPC
Assistant Professor

Members don't see this ad :)
So you concede, now, that it is not "wrong" (your words) to use Dr. John Doe, MD.

Sorry, but I'm not wasting any more energy on this. Especially if you're just parsing semantics. I really hope you're not this pathetically desperate to never be wrong in real life.

Does this webpage reflect an appropriate use of the title Dr.?

http://www.ucalgary.ca/~psyctree/deptdir.htm

(on the page, you will find)

Dr. Hussam-Ui H. Bawa
MBBS
Assistant Professor

Dr. Jennifer Fisher
MBBS, MRCPsych, FRCPC
Associate Professor

Dr. Safeer Khan
MD, MBBS
Lecturer

Dr. Adeyinka Marcus
MBBS, MRCPsych, FRCPC
Assistant Professor

Dr. Muhammad Naseer
MBBS, MD, DAPAN
Lecturer

Dr. Toba Oluboka
MBBS, FRCPC
Assistant Professor

Dr. Abdul Rahman
MBBS, MRCPsych, FRCPC
Assistant Professor

Dr. Nandini J. Singh
MBBS, FRCPC
Assistant Professor

What the heck kind of queer degrees are those? What is an MBBS? FRCPC sounds like its some kind of professional organization...usually go get those designations, you just have to subscribe to the magazine.

What the heck kind of queer degrees are those? What is an MBBS? FRCPC sounds like its some kind of professional organization...usually go get those designations, you just have to subscribe to the magazine.

MBBS is an MD-equivalent degree that is awarded at the undergraduate (or masters) level in many foreign countries. Physicians in the U.K. and India for example earn the MBBS. It stands for Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery in English but the abbreviation comes from the Latin words for the degree, which I forget. Most other countries don't follow the four years undergrand/four years professional school model that the U.S. and Canada have and their degrees are not inherently "doctoral" degrees but upon registration as a physician with whatever credentialing body they earn the title anyway.

FRCP(C) is Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada...

Again, you don't know their reasons for using the "redundancy". Why assume malice? Maybe they aren't arrogant at all. Perhaps they are so insecure about themselves, that they have to put Dr. John Doe, MD just to feel adequate.

The point is you don't know. On an issue like this, why can't you let people do what they want? I don't care if my next door neighbor writes Dr. and titles. And why should you?

I feel that if my neighbors put up lots of pink flamingos in their yard that its tacky. Is it wrong? No. Is it tacky? Most of us would say yes. Same thing here. I'm sure plenty of folks don't care about all of this, but lots of us find it kinda tacky.

MBBS is an MD-equivalent degree that is awarded at the undergraduate (or masters) level in many foreign countries. Physicians in the U.K. and India for example earn the MBBS. It stands for Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery in English but the abbreviation comes from the Latin words for the degree, which I forget. Most other countries don't follow the four years undergrand/four years professional school model that the U.S. and Canada have and their degrees are not inherently "doctoral" degrees but upon registration as a physician with whatever credentialing body they earn the title anyway.

One of the IU OD students was an OMD from an eastern european nation. The degree was 3 years after high school.

I feel that if my neighbors put up lots of pink flamingos in their yard that its tacky. Is it wrong? No. Is it tacky? Most of us would say yes. Same thing here. I'm sure plenty of folks don't care about all of this, but lots of us find it kinda tacky.

That's fine. That's an opinion, and you express it as such. That's fine.

Last edited:
I'm afraid this whole thread is a mud slinging contest. Everyone is acting like spoiled kiddies who got a lump of coal in their stockings for Christmas. And everyone here is supposedly professional or studying to be? This thread and all the childish comments therein are absolutely outrageous to say the least.

I have NO idea why threads like this aren't immediately taken off the forums. And I have NO idea why people who can't behave themselves like adults are still allowed to post.

I'm afraid this whole thread is a mud slinging contest. Everyone is acting like spoiled kiddies who got a lump of coal in their stockings for Christmas. And everyone here is supposedly professional or studying to be? This thread and all the childish comments therein are absolutely outrageous to say the least.

I have NO idea why threads like this aren't immediately taken off the forums. And I have NO idea why people who can't behave themselves like adults are still allowed to post.

Burnett's Law, you lose

:laugh: Warning : Do not read if you only wish to read serious and professional comments. Only intended for :laugh: purposes.

You know what would be nice? If we have something like OD shows or Optometrists in TV serials or commercials or whatever for public awareness. This "unintended" education may do the trick.

Just thought that this was really funny. Wonder if people know about Tyra Bank's America's Next Top Model? Well she was saying how this competition gave girls a chance to shine in the industry.

Now why don't you guys have a " America's Next Top Optometrist". I think that would be so interesting- we could see students suffer during cramming sessions, losing their cool with their roomates bc one of them is reciting the lectures out loud in the shower, looking "fierce" ( as Tyra likes to tell her models-to-be) during patient sessions..... wow then the whole world would be enlightened as to what optometrists really do......

Members don't see this ad :)
So would I be wrong to call myself an "optometric physician" or would this be misleading to some to assume I would be an M.D. or D.O.?

I would be very interested in knowing this as well. Don't opt. school tags/coats say "Student Optometric Physician"?

Not at IU. I think mine said "Intern" or something like that. I hate the term "Optometric Physician". Ego stroke, anyone?

I disagree with the original post. I don't think the public sees Optometrists as less qualified. In general, most people only think about their eye care needs when they realize they need glasses. At that time, they decide to go to the "eye doctor", and I would say for the most part don't differentiate between optometrists and ophthalmologists. An eye doctor is an eye doctor, unless they have a more serious issue and need surgery.

When talking about school, however, that can be a different story. When I tell people I'm going to optometry school, they have no idea it's a rigorous 4 year program. They think it should be shorter. I have to explain that it's similar to dental school, then they seem to get it.
I think the difference in public perception between optometrists and ophalmologists is about as significant as the public perception between family practitioners and surgeons.

I think the difference in public perception between optometrists and ophalmologists is about as significant as the public perception between family practitioners and surgeons.

Well that was worth drudging up a six month old thread.

Yeah I think we should fight some more. This hasn't been resolved yet!

In cases you want to make doubly sure that your acquaintance knows the titles you've earned, it's possible to see "Doctor Doctor" for those who have earned two doctorates.

It's usage is actually quite common in Europe:
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. D. Kettler
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/german_to_english/medical/587784-prof_dr_dr_hc_d_kettler.html

Dr. Dr. Michael Stiller
Dr. Dr. Peter Kaulen
Dr. Dr. Klaus-J. Bauknecht
http://www.placet-berlin.de/members.aspx

It apparently exists in Japan:
Dr. Dr. Hiba Abdullah Thabet Al-Shawafi
http://www.dent.niigata-u.ac.jp/microbio/personnel.html

But it exists in North America too:
Dr. Dr. Valentin Fuster
http://www.empowereddoctor.com/doctor_index_2122.html

Interesting thread,

A couple years back I did a survey of my own for an MPH class that I was taking and it was in regard to the public perception of health care practitioners. Needless to say I talked to about 500 or so persons at random and I found:

a) Most people wrongly believe that Dentists, Optometrists, and Podiatrists are MD's.

b) 80+% of the persons I spoke to said "eye doctor" when I asked, "What is an optometrist?" So contrary to some of the negative attitudes exhibited on this silly forum----the Optometrist is "an eye doctor" in the eyes of Joe-Six Pack.

c) Most of the people I spoke to had NO IDEA whatsoever the difference between an optometrist and an ophthalmologist...LOL I heard things like "optomologist, ophthalometrist, the guy who does Lasik, you're the guy that does that laser stuff, the eye guy, etc..."-----I loved the "eye guy" one! that made me laugh. (Most people could not pronounce "ophthalmologist" correctly---now they should be relieved they can say Eye Physician and Surgeon (I am out of breath...whew)----but they wont!

d) Most people have no awareness of the O.D. designation-----they just think an optometrist is addressed as a "doctor" so they must be an MD. So all of us should thank the AMA and medicine for its excellent "brainwashing" of the public for over a 100 years for this one! lol *

e) Have a great Sunday everybody!

Merriam-Webster Dictionary

doc·tor
Pronunciation:
\ˈdäk-tər\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English doctour teacher, doctor, from Anglo-French & Medieval Latin; Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin doctor, from Latin, teacher, from docēre to teach
Date:
14th century
-----wow that pre-dates all of these degrees OD, MD, DDS, DMD, DPM, etc.........So PhD's are the REAL doctors! [/I][/I]

Last edited:
When I tell most "lay" people that I am going to optometry school to become an optometrist....They just say ,"oh so you are going to become an eye doctor."

peace