PTO discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SM761987

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much PTO do y’all have? Are you satisfied with it?

Please list type of position (hospital, private practice, multi-specialty group, VA etc) and number of days.

Multi specialty group
20 days PTO (sick and vacation)

Had 10 days PTO in my previous job in private practice

Members don't see this ad.

Had 30 days PTO at MSG job (didnt use more than 20 though)
Had 15 days at a PP job
Now self-employed so none :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
240 hours so 30 days. I think my CME days are considered separate so 5 more days. I do have use it for holidays if on weekday unless on call, but since I don't take call even though my contract says I am supposed to....I guess this amount of PTO that I will ONE HUNDRED percent use all of this year isn't a good look with my recent comments about how much I get paid and how little I work.... hospital.

Since I don't see patients on Tuesdays let's add in another 52 days of effective PTO. The first 6 months of the year I didn't see patients on Thursdays so that is another 26 days. I only operate maybe 2 Fridays a month so another 26 days....

Reactions: 1 users
My PTO accrues at an hourly rate, but it amounts to 22 days per year. 5 CME days. And sick days as well but I maybe use one or two per year so I have no idea how many I get. I’m only scheduled to work 4 days per week, though I occasionally do stuff on Fridays. Like tomorrow I have an ingrown in the OR for a severely autistic Kid because it’s the only day his mom has off, and an inpatient case which is probably the more common reason for me to be in the building on a Friday. Still only happens once every couple of months. Hospital employed.

I have 15 days PTO, but since my income is heavily production based, “PTO” is misleading. If I take a week of vacation, I feel it on my paycheck next month. Such is the downside to PP.

However, if your SO has a decent paying job, you bill well enough on a regular basis, and live so that you are not paycheck-to-paycheck, it’s not awful.

Reactions: 2 users
... since my income is heavily production based, “PTO” is misleading. If I take a week of vacation, I feel it on my paycheck next month. Such is the downside to PP...
Nailed it.

It's that way for most (private) hosp FTE podiatrists, ortho group DPMs, MSG DPMs also.... we're all effectively on productivity/incentive - whether it's % or RVU or total collections. If we use a lot of PTO, generally won't bonus as well that month/quarter/year.

The VA/IHS and some univ docs are the only ones that really have no financial hit for taking 100% of their cme, PTO, holidays, etc... and creating "meetings," "admin time," etc. That's also why their pay is usually low/avg compared to PP owner or private org jobs.

PP associate. I can take off basically whenever I want..but that means I’m not making any money. So there really is no PTO. When I take vacation days or weeks I’ll usually just take Friday/Monday off for 4 day stretches and have my patients for the week moved to the days im in office.

I do that a few times a year. Not taking hospital call doesn’t leave me with feeling I need a vacation too often so that helps a lot. I’m also not that far out from residency so I’m still just enjoying the fact I have actual weekends now. That alone usually keeps me away from feeling burned out, for now at least.

I think no matter what your setup is it’s never fun taking too much time away. You turn away potential new patients and are almost always stuck putting out fires when you return.

Last edited:
VA Hospital:

-49 days of annual paid time off: 26 days annual leave (vacation) , 13 days sick leave, 10 federal holidays
-CME days are also extra (administrative time off)

Had 10 days in my PP associate job before this...

Reactions: 5 users
VA Hospital:

-49 days of annual paid time off: 26 days annual leave (vacation) , 13 days sick leave, 10 federal holidays

1695352665629.gif

Reactions: 1 user
VA Hospital:

Don’t forget technically the days off on the days you show up to work and chill in the office. That’s basically full time PTO

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

:(

Partner in a pod group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hospital employed, 240 hours, so 30 days. Seems pretty standard

32 days PTO/CME with unlimited sick days. Hospital/msg

28 PTO days, 20 sick days, 5 CME days, 11 holidays off, 6 weeks of paid maternity or paternity leave. Full time hospital employed. Salaried so it is a true PTO.

Able to accumulate sick leave that can be be used towards early retirement.

• Wow
25 PTO days (sick days would be in here)
5 CME days

Normal big holidays (7)
4 ‘wellness’ days, cause you gotta stay well, yo

FQHC

Message from associate. 5 days, if I want to take more I have to pay them 100 dollars per day. At 10 days they start cutting off fingers.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hospital employed, 240 hours, so 30 days. Seems pretty standard
Biggest downside of hospital employment there is no paid time off.
There is time off if you want it. But its not paid.

6 weeks PTO. Holidays don't waste PTO days. I never use it all because I like stacking RVUs.

What? Every hospital I worked gave me paid time off. Typically 6 weeks. What kind of hospital do you work at?

That seems really super low if a VA.
I thought it was more like 3mo (12wk) for maternity?
Yea maternity leave you can take 3 months now and it doesn’t count against your pto. You can use this if you or your spouse is having kid.

Not sure what you're talking about. I still get paid when I take my time off. I'm still salaried. Maybe this would be different if you were strictly working on production

Not sure what you're talking about. I still get paid when I take my time off. I'm still salaried. Maybe this would be different if you were strictly working on production
Most hospital pods don't just take the salary... they want production bonus. That is where they reach the bigger money.

That's what he's getting at... time off will essentially be paid - but at lower rate. It will hurt your ability to bonus in that month/quarter/year term. The amount of vaca taken is consequential to your money and maybe your job security or future raises (assuming not a govt/univ hospital job where salary is the vast majority of total ).

Most hospital pods don't just take the salary... they want production bonus. That is where they reach the bigger money.

That's what he's getting at... time off will essentially be paid - but at lower rate. It will hurt your ability to bonus in that month/quarter/year term. The amount of vaca taken is consequential to your money and maybe your job security or future raises (assuming not a govt/univ hospital job where salary is the vast majority of total ).

But it is still being paid for time you are not in the building. Sure my production might dip when I’m out of the office. But my production pay is on top of my base salary. If what DYK said was true (it’s not), then not only would I see lower wRVU for the month, but $25k-ish in base pay would show up as $19k if I were to take a week off and any production/bonus pay would be on top of $19k instead of $25k. Because of PTO, it does not.

That seems really super low if a VA.
I thought it was more like 3mo (12wk) for maternity?
6 weeks paid. Doesn't impact your PTO. You can take 12 weeks but only 6 weeks is paid.

Maternity leave is 12 weeks paid at full pay rate

But it is still being paid for time you are not in the building. Sure my production might dip when I’m out of the office. But my production pay is on top of my base salary. If what DYK said was true (it’s not), then not only would I see lower wRVU for the month, but $25k-ish in base pay would show up as $19k if I were to take a week off and any production/bonus pay would be on top of $19k instead of $25k. Because of PTO, it does not.
He is too busy with his meat right now. But he is 100 percent production I believe.
D-track used to send me meat pics, but now just dyk343 does. We will find an ACFAS where they each bring a smoker and we have a cookoff

So I reread my contract 4x over. It says I get 30 days vacation once off guarentee. When on guarentee I get 14 days paid vacation at my salary rate.
It does not say I am paid anywhere in the contract for time away vacation when working production.
I am fairly sure that I dont get paid at all if I am gone. I hope I am wrong but thats how I read the contract.
I believe I am production based only.
Ill clarify and ask more when I can get a meeting with managment. I think I have one scheduled this friday but im not sure.

Edit I found some buried fine print. I need to find another document "abscence policy" before I know if im paid. Its not included in the original contract or supplemental paperwork I got with the contract. But it does say paid time off according to the board of directors absence policy.

Last edited:
So I reread my contract 4x over. It says I get 30 days vacation once off guarentee. When on guarentee I get 14 days paid vacation at my salary rate.
It does not say I am paid anywhere in the contract for time away vacation when working production.
I am fairly sure that I dont get paid at all if I am gone. I hope I am wrong but thats how I read the contract.
I believe I am production based only.
Ill clarify and ask more when I can get a meeting with managment. I think I have one scheduled this friday but im not sure.

Edit I found some buried fine print. I need to find another document "abscence policy" before I know if im paid. Its not included in the original contract or supplemental paperwork I got with the contract. But it does say paid time off according to the board of directors absence policy.
You should probably talk to the owner's wife to make sure you are understanding everything.:cool:

• Haha
PP associate. I can take off basically whenever I want..but that means I’m not making any money. So there really is no PTO. When I take vacation days or weeks I’ll usually just take Friday/Monday off for 4 day stretches and have my patients for the week moved to the days im in office.

I do that a few times a year. Not taking hospital call doesn’t leave me with feeling I need a vacation too often so that helps a lot. I’m also not that far out from residency so I’m still just enjoying the fact I have actual weekends now. That alone usually keeps me away from feeling burned out, for now at least.

I think no matter what your setup is it’s never fun taking too much time away. You turn away potential new patients and are almost always stuck putting out fires when you return.
This is similar to me. I get around 21 days off but I don’t use much of it except for combining 1-2 days with a weekend. After I stopped taking hospital call my stress levels plummeted and I don’t really feel burnt out with working clinic majority of the time.

This is similar to me. I get around 21 days off but I don’t use much of it except for combining 1-2 days with a weekend. After I stopped taking hospital call my stress levels plummeted and I don’t really feel burnt out with working clinic majority of the time.
Doing clinic is very low stress... once you realize which notes to be sloppy/templated with and which you need to spend a bit of times on. I was stressed out early in PP since I was trying to do good notes on every pt... big waste of time.

Elective surgery is usually fine and low strees also... if you're good at it.

The on-call, disrupted sleep, weekends on call, inpt early/late work get grindy. Even if you have residents, that sleep deprivation makes you old fast. Between that and the expected admin and meetings and hierarchy stuff, I don't think I could ever do hospital FTE again.

The key is not just more time away from the hospital/office... but usually also having very few mental barriers between you and enjoying your time away from work (backlog notes, pager, on-call, staff drama, financial stress, surgery having complications, admnin headaches, etc).

Doing clinic is very low stress... once you realize which notes to be sloppy/templated with and which you need to spend a bit of times on. I was stressed out early in PP since I was trying to do good notes on every pt... big waste of time.

Elective surgery is usually fine and low strees also... if you're good at it.

The on-call, disrupted sleep, weekends on call, inpt early/late work get grindy. Even if you have residents, that sleep deprivation makes you old fast. Between that and the expected admin and meetings and hierarchy stuff, I don't think I could ever do hospital FTE again.

The key is not just more time away from the hospital/office... but usually also having very few mental barriers between you and enjoying your time away from work (backlog notes, pager, on-call, staff drama, financial stress, surgery having complications, admnin headaches, etc).
Can confirm it’s a grind.

But that golden carrot is hard to pass on.

When I’m older I’m absolutely slowing down. But for now can’t turn away the income w retirement/benefits.

Got some grays.

Maternity leave is 12 weeks paid at full pay rate

I am not a federal employee