PTE Recertification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bertelman

Maverick!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So took my RePTE today. Not as bad as I thought. Mostly could have just read Mathew, and reviewed with Conquer the PTE. Not sure the online question bank was valuable or necessary.

More importantly, does anyone know anything about this? Seems that NBE will be changing maintenance of certification. I'm thinking they will be moving to an ABA-type model where you do annual CME rather than cram for a test every 10 years?
Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 5.55.15 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting. I was just about to shell out money for PTE masters as my certification expires next July. Might try calling them to probe for some info first

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t get down with the MOCA extortion scheme and I’m sure as hell not gonna get down with any NBE maintenance of echo board scheme.

Every damn patient is the test. These grifters can keep their greedy hands out of my pockets.

Interesting. I was just about to shell out money for PTE masters as my certification expires next July. Might try calling them to probe for some info first
I found it to be overkill for the RePTE. Website is overwhelming, videos are way too long, information is redundant making it hard to really hit the high yield stuff. Question bank has many obscure and 4th order questions that I just didn't find on my exam.

The RePTE is only 150 question. There's plenty they can test you over without needing to dig very deep into physics or quantitative calculations. There are some questions on those, but easily addressed with a moderate level of study.

If you remember doing well on your initial cert test, I really think just a strong understanding of the obvious areas in Mathew are enough. There are questions at the end of every chapter. Also, do the Burch question book. I wouldn't even worry about the video questions locked up on the CD that you probably won't be able to load in a computer. If you do TEE at least once a week in your job, and you work at a center with a typical cardiac surgical breadth, you will be fine with the videos they show.

HB, I'll give you my report on the ACA cert later this year, in case you want to take it in 2024 :rofl:

Reactions: 2 users
Just contacted the NBE and they sent me this email...

Good morning,

NBE will be transitioning to a Maintenance of Certification (longitudinal learning) process in 2024 which will replace our recertification exams. Since you will be in your “grace year” in 2024, you will be eligible to enroll in our new program without having to take the initial exam again. However, it is our recommendation that you sit for the exam this year, if possible, as many details have not yet been finalized.

The NBE's Board of Directors is in the process of finalizing details that ensure fairness and impartiality to all our constituents. An email will be sent to all testamurs and diplomates detailing exactly what we are doing, how we are doing it, and what is needed from each applicant as soon as we have more information. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Reactions: 1 user
If they do what ABA has done, they'll just spread the ten year exam cost over the same ten year period, and turn your board certification into a subscription service with some added requirements. The direct cost portion isn't bad (is $1000 every ten years really any different than $100/yr for ten years?), it's what those added requirements end up being that can make this an onerous prospect. I wonder if requirements will overlap for those of us with multiple certs or testamur statuses? My Basic cert is up in 2024, but I'm also an Advanced PTE and Critical Care testamur, and debating which, if any, to renew when the time comes.

If they do what ABA has done, they'll just spread the ten year exam cost over the same ten year period, and turn your board certification into a subscription service with some added requirements. The direct cost portion isn't bad (is $1000 every ten years really any different than $100/yr for ten years?), it's what those added requirements end up being that can make this an onerous prospect. I wonder if requirements will overlap for those of us with multiple certs or testamur statuses? My Basic cert is up in 2024, but I'm also an Advanced PTE and Critical Care testamur, and debating which, if any, to renew when the time comes.
Is this useful other than being able to bill?

I took the PTE over half a decade ago but also took the cceexam and ascexam for shts a couple yrs ago. Testamurs in all. I'm definitely not MOC'ing any exam but the PTE.

Is this useful other than being able to bill?
Not really. Most contracts don't even require any kind of certification to bill for echos. I took Basic right out of residency, because I found it interesting, and was doing cardiac without a fellowship. I took Advanced a couple of years later, because I learned more in the interim, wanted to continue doing hearts when I left government service, and Advanced testamur was listed as a requirement at several places. I did the CCE exam when it first came out right after CC fellowship in large part because my PD told us that he expected all of us to take it, and as another merit badge to show I have an idea of what I'm talking about. In reality, none of those exams have meaningfully impacted my career, and just serve as a signaling mechanism to display to hospital credentialing bodies that I may have an idea what I'm doing with an echo probe, and be able to act on that knowledge.

Reactions: 1 users

Good morning,

NBE will be transitioning to a Maintenance of Certification (longitudinal learning) process in 2024 which will replace our recertification exams. Since you will be in your “grace year” in 2024, you will be eligible to enroll in our new program without having to take the initial exam again. However, it is our recommendation that you sit for the exam this year, if possible, as many details have not yet been finalized.

The NBE's Board of Directors is in the process of finalizing details that ensure fairness and impartiality to all our constituents. An email will be sent to all testamurs and diplomates detailing exactly what we are doing, how we are doing it, and what is needed from each applicant as soon as we have more information. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

“Hey so we are going to switch into an annual ‘longitudinal’ learning program but our recommendation is to not miss out on the opportunity to send us $2000 all at once one last time, thanks”

Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
“Hey so we are going to switch into an annual ‘longitudinal’ learning program but our recommendation is to not miss out on the opportunity to send us $2000 all at once one last time, thanks”

Lol
"And we'll totally credit you with ten years of your new annual subscription if you send us the lump sum now. That is, unless we forget that you already paid, in which case, you can feel free to pay yet again to maintain certification!"

Members don't see this ad :)
Fortunately, the Advanced RePTE is only $595 for early birds. Not like that sham of ABA cert. If that gets me another 10 yrs, I'll take it.

Good morning,

r u kidding me lol… i just bought pte masters year subscription cuz my 10 years is up and today was the last day to get the year for $399. On the other hand MOC is much easier… glad this is going to happen.

Lol

Could be worse. This was the response that my friend got from the NBE. She expired in 2021 and hadn't yet taken the recert exam

I hope this email finds you well. Recertification examinations will no longer be offered, as the NBE is moving toward a Maintenance of Certification process beginning in 2024, which will replace them. As your status has expired, you will need to take the initial exam to regain your status and then enter the MOC process in order to maintain it.

If you have any questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them. Thank you and take care.

• Wow
"And we'll totally credit you with ten years of your new annual subscription if you send us the lump sum now. That is, unless we forget that you already paid, in which case, you can feel free to pay yet again to maintain certification!"
Yeah we're talking about an organization that took a YEAR to process our test results and case logs to award board certification in the first place.

And then they backdated it to the day of the exam.

Could be worse. This was the response that my friend got from the NBE. She expired in 2021 and hadn't yet taken the recert exam

I hope this email finds you well. Recertification examinations will no longer be offered, as the NBE is moving toward a Maintenance of Certification process beginning in 2024, which will replace them. As your status has expired, you will need to take the initial exam to regain your status and then enter the MOC process in order to maintain it.

If you have any questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them. Thank you and take care.

I don't think that's accurate. I think you have several years AFTER your diplomate status lapses to just take the RePTE and submit documents for recertification. Their own booklet just says you must pay a recertification fee of $200. Even at the 19th year after initial certification, you can just take the RePTE in years 19 & 20 to recent.

I took my exam in the 11th year, and they were pretty polite about it via email. They had to configure the website so that it allowed me to register for the exam, but otherwise it was pretty straightforward.

Seth, I bet I know where you work. Grew up in Dallas. Know the landscape.

Attachments

• RePTE_Cert_App-2022.pdf
    535.2 KB · Views: 47
The NBE is not even a legitimate Board….NBE is not sanctioned by the American Board of Medical Specialties….

I think I’ll keep my $2,000 😀

Any news on the results? We're onto the 9th week now and anxiety is starting to take hold..

So took my RePTE today. Not as bad as I thought. Mostly could have just read Mathew, and reviewed with Conquer the PTE. Not sure the online question bank was valuable or necessary.

More importantly, does anyone know anything about this? Seems that NBE will be changing maintenance of certification. I'm thinking they will be moving to an ABA-type model where you do annual CME rather than cram for a test every 10 years?View attachment 374767

More importantly, does anyone know anything about this? Seems that NBE will be changing maintenance of certification. I'm thinking they will be moving to an ABA-type model where you do annual CME rather than cram for a test every 10 years?View attachment 374767
Anyone received their exam results from July 2023 exam for rpte?

Sent them an email earlier today, response was that the results should be out this week. Here's to hoping.

Sent them an email earlier today, response was that the results should be out this week. Here's to hoping.
They said 10-12 weeks. Tomorrow is 10 weeks. At least they're staying within their predefined timeline.

The NBE is a fake Board…it’s not sanctioned or approved by the ABMS…I don’t get why people keep giving their money to the NBE…

• Okay...
The NBE is a fake Board…it’s not sanctioned or approved by the ABMS…I don’t get why people keep giving their money to the NBE…

It’s de facto mandatory if you want to practice cardiac anesthesia.

Of course it's not sanctioned by the ABMS. 'Reading an Echo' is not a medical specialty. Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, Cardiac Anesthesiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery- those are medical specialties.

I'm curious. If you needed cardiac care, an ultrasound-confirmed diagnosis, would you prefer it come from a doctor who has completed a fellowship and confirmed his level of knowledge with a universally-accepted certification process?

Or someone who completed a fellowship and just says "trust me, I know what I'm doing"?

p.s. physicians haven't historically had the best record of removing their peers with substandard qualifications or knowledge. Certification exams, as onerous and expensive as they may be, cull the herd. Frankly, I'm proud to say I have passed the initial and recert exams for my specialty. As the medical director of our division, you won't be hired unless you can say the same.

Edit: clearly, I stand corrected below. But I don't disagree with the spirit of my post.
It’s de facto mandatory if you want to practice cardiac anesthesia.
It's de facto mandatory if you want to be a cardiologist reporting Echo, stress, etc. Not really sure where this guy is coming from.

Last edited:
It's de facto mandatory if you want to be a cardiologist reporting Echo, stress, etc. Not really sure where this guy is coming from.

This is not true. None of the cardiologists at my facility including the director of our echo lab have NBE boards even though several of them are true echo nerds. They read and report thousands of echo exams every year. I think echo training and competence is implied for cardiologists. There must be echo content in the primary cardiology boards. Ask your cardiology friends.

Last edited:
Just got the email for initial certification. Pass! What a crazy test.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Passed!! This was the biggest challenge for me as of yet. Halfway through my anesthesia residency program, not even in fellowship yet, wanted to challenge myself but never really expected I'd actually pass.

• Wow
Passed!! This was the biggest challenge for me as of yet. Halfway through my anesthesia residency program, not even in fellowship yet, wanted to challenge myself but never really expected I'd actually pass.

That’s awesome. Congrats!!

This is not true. None of the cardiologists at my facility including the director of our echo lab have NBE boards even though several of them are true echo nerds. They read and report thousands of echo exams every year. I think echo training and competence is implied for cardiologists. There must be echo content in the primary cardiology boards. Ask your cardiology friends.
Well. Too late to delete my post above? :rofl:

So does it exist more for the sonographers? Is it an age-related thing? More prevalent with younger guys?

I checked the 3 most proficient guys at our hospital, in particular the ones that perform TEE. All three obtained initial certification and diplomat status. Two renewed, another passed the exam but did not certify. And I work at a community center, nothing prestigious.

The advanced exam? That's impressive to get done as a resident.

The advanced exam? That's impressive to get done as a resident.
Yessir the advanced exam. Doing echocardiagrams intraoperatively is something I really enjoyed, so it was not difficult to find the motivation to sit and read and go through tens of echo case images and reports.

Reactions: 3 users
Yessir the advanced exam. Doing echocardiagrams intraoperatively is something I really enjoyed, so it was not difficult to find the motivation to sit and read and go through tens of echo case images and reports.
Well done. That’s awesome. 👍🏽

Hopefully you reviewed tons, not tens.

Already impressed that you are a CA-2. To think you did it reviewing 50-60 images is just disheartening.

Hopefully you reviewed tons, not tens.

Already impressed that you are a CA-2. To think you did it reviewing 50-60 images is just disheartening.
Sorry, not tens. I did about 50 echos myself in the cardiac rooms, but for every echo i did, i reviewed about 10 from our archives. I also went through all of PTE Masters exams and course materials, 3 times, in addition to Prof Zimmerman's daily mailing list. For the last two months before the exam I consistently reviewed and reviewed.

Reactions: 6 users
Sorry, not tens. I did about 50 echos myself in the cardiac rooms, but for every echo i did, i reviewed about 10 from our archives. I also went through all of PTE Masters exams and course materials, 3 times, in addition to Prof Zimmerman's daily mailing list. For the last two months before the exam I consistently reviewed and reviewed.
Not too different from @dchz who passed the exam between CA2 and CA3 I believe. Animals. I don't think I could have mustered the motivation to prepare for that test on my own, not without the fellowship.

Yep, i did that. For about 3 years we had one resident each year do that in my residency. I was the only one that did a fellowship after.

There is still a huge knowledge gap between fellowship and just the test. You're not on earth anymore, you are at the ISS, but the fellowship trained people are on the moon (or mars for some crazy practices).

Are you in Utah? I heard it’s not uncommon there.

Without the clinical experience, it’s just knowledge. You need wisdom.
Without knowledge there is no wisdom.

Grats @shangabmajid that’s a big boost to your cardiac career. With that exam behind you, every echo you do will be more meaningful. 👍🏽

Great program. Anesthesia runs echo lab there. We have a few of their fellows and they are top notch.

I'm actually in the United Arab Emirates! One of the first anesthesia residents in the country actually. We don't have cardiac anesthesia fellowships here, though the plan is to go abroad for that and bring it back later here.

• Love
I'm actually in the United Arab Emirates! One of the first anesthesia residents in the country actually. We don't have cardiac anesthesia fellowships here, though the plan is to go abroad for that and bring it back later
Without knowledge there is no wisdom.

Grats @shangabmajid that’s a big boost to your cardiac career. With that exam behind you, every echo you do will be more meaningful. 👍🏽
Thank you! The hope is that this helps me in my applications for fellowships in the future.