PTCE math questions, help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavenderhearts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am studying to take the Pharmacy technician certification exam by PTCB and I am having a hard time with the math questions because I don't know how to do them. I am hoping you all will help with understanding how to do the questions.

Here are the math questions...

1. A 500mL I.V. bag contains 2.5 grams of a drug. The administration set is calibrated to 16gtt/mL, and set to deliver 5gtt/min. What percentage concentration is the solution?
Answer: A. 0.5%

2. A patient was started on a drip of D10W from a 500mL at 1400. The micro-drip (60gtt/mL administration device was set to deliver 30gtt/min. If the patient is administered the entire bag, how much dextrose will they receive?
Answer: 50grams

3. A patient is receiving an infusion from a 500mL bag containing a 0.5% solution of drug S. The drop factor is calibrated at 12gtt/mL and the flow rate is set to 10gtt/min. If the infusion is to run for 4 hours, how much of the active drug will the patient receive?
Answer: 1000mg

I will really appreciate your help!!!

Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad.