PTCB Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foomba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DAH! im taking the exam in 2 days and I feel so unprepared... i keep hearing that it is easy, but there is so much information. I am using the mosby's review guide and im only done with chapter 1. :( For anyone that took the test... do i need to know all the conversions? Metric, household, apothecary, apothecary metric? I've never even heard of apothecary... Any advice on what i should be focusing on?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about apothecary. I don't remember even seeing it once on the test.

For the conversions, you should know the basic stuff that you see in retail on a daily basis (teaspoons in a tablespoon, ml in a teaspoon, ml in an ounce, grams to a pound, etc.) Be comfortable with the metric system. Be able to calculate days' supply and translate common sig codes to longhand and vice versa. And basic algebra plus dimensional analysis will get you through most of the calculations. All of this should be in your review book.

At this point, you don't have time to learn a lot of brand/generic equivalents, but that shouldn't hurt you too much, since myself and most people I've talked to saw very few brand/generic questions.

If you can do these things, you'll be a long way toward passing. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
just came back from taking the test. My preliminary result was: Passed... How accurate is this result?!?!? hahaha i dont know if i should trust it or not. Anyone? And also was just wondering. what is the process after passing the exam? i took this so that i could apply for jobs and hopefully snag a tech position... do i need to wait for the certification to come and apply to some board? or can i just apply to retail pharmacies saying im certified? heh thanks for the help in advance!

just came back from taking the test. My preliminary result was: Passed... How accurate is this result?!?!? hahaha i dont know if i should trust it or not. Anyone? And also was just wondering. what is the process after passing the exam? i took this so that i could apply for jobs and hopefully snag a tech position... do i need to wait for the certification to come and apply to some board? or can i just apply to retail pharmacies saying im certified? heh thanks for the help in advance!

If it says you passed, you passed. It's not going to lie to you.

Start looking for jobs now, don't wait; it can sometimes be difficult to get your foot in the door so you might as well start ASAP.

Don't worry about apothecary. I don't remember even seeing it once on the test.

For the conversions, you should know the basic stuff that you see in retail on a daily basis (teaspoons in a tablespoon, ml in a teaspoon, ml in an ounce, grams to a pound, etc.) Be comfortable with the metric system. Be able to calculate days' supply and translate common sig codes to longhand and vice versa. And basic algebra plus dimensional analysis will get you through most of the calculations. All of this should be in your review book.

At this point, you don't have time to learn a lot of brand/generic equivalents, but that shouldn't hurt you too much, since myself and most people I've talked to saw very few brand/generic questions.

If you can do these things, you'll be a long way toward passing. Good luck.

im planning on takin the ptcb soon, and still waiting to apply because i started studying the vocabulary section and wasnt sure if I should remember any vocab stuff or just concentrate more on learning how to do math & know the top 200 drugs. i have some workbooks that i use to study. how long did you study for? :)

im pretty sure you passed. congratulations :)
how long did you study for and how was the exam?

im planning on takin the ptcb soon, and still waiting to apply because i started studying the vocabulary section and wasnt sure if I should remember any vocab stuff or just concentrate more on learning how to do math & know the top 200 drugs. i have some workbooks that i use to study. how long did you study for? :)

dont bother memorizing the top 200 drugs. i went in not knowing any of them... there were more than i expected on the test but it was more focused around calculations and administration/law stuff. know your conversions for sure and sig codes... with that alone you should be fine.

im pretty sure you passed. congratulations :)
how long did you study for and how was the exam?

i had no previous pharmacy experience but i studied for around 2 days. just sat down and went through the mosbys review for pharm techs. took some practice tests and i was fine. this site was very helpful... http://www.pharmacy-tech-study.com/

the practice exams in the book psyched me out... cuz the questions were a little complex. but the level of difficulty on the practice exams on that site were way more accurate. dont stress :) it wasnt that bad.

If it says you passed, you passed. It's not going to lie to you.

Start looking for jobs now, don't wait; it can sometimes be difficult to get your foot in the door so you might as well start ASAP.

Im applying online and there is a portion where it asks... "Are you a licensed pharmacy technician or are pending licensure?" and "Are you certified with the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board?"

Since i did pass the PTCB test should I answer yes for both of these...? I feel like it would definitely look better and is somewhat true or will be eventually true, in the near future...? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Im applying online and there is a portion where it asks... "Are you a licensed pharmacy technician or are pending licensure?" and "Are you certified with the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board?"

Since i did pass the PTCB test should I answer yes for both of these...? I feel like it would definitely look better and is somewhat true or will be eventually true, in the near future...? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Being licensed and being PTCB certified are two entirely different things. Yes, you passed the PTCB. But did you apply to your state board of pharmacy for an actual pharmacy technician license? If not, you'd have to answer "no" to question one.

i had no previous pharmacy experience but i studied for around 2 days. just sat down and went through the mosbys review for pharm techs. took some practice tests and i was fine. this site was very helpful... http://www.pharmacy-tech-study.com/

the practice exams in the book psyched me out... cuz the questions were a little complex. but the level of difficulty on the practice exams on that site were way more accurate. dont stress :) it wasnt that bad.

ok thank you so much. :):)