PTCAS GPA's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sooners12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the PTCAS system and I'm confused about how the GPA's are reported. Since different programs have different pre-reqs does PTCAS calculate multiple GPA's depending on the program you are applying to?

One of the schools I'm applying to is UT Southwestern Medical Center (Dallas). For the pre-req GPA they take the highest grade of a repeated class which would increase my self-calculated pre-req GPA significantly since I've retaken two classes. Of course many other schools don't do that. Does anyone know how different the PTCAS GPA will be or does PTCAS just hand out one GPA regardless of the program?

I'm sending in all my transcripts this week but I'm antsy and want to have an idea of what to expect before hand.

Members don't see this ad.

Since it is PTCAS. It will send the PTCAS grades. But if schools take the highest grade, they will recalculate it themselves.

PTCAS sends the schools all of your class and grade info, so the individual programs can calculate your GPAs any way that they want to. Some programs use the PTCAS calculated GPAs, and some don't. If UTSW takes the highest grades for repeated courses, then I'm sure they will do their own GPA calculation. Just make sure to mark the courses as repeated when you input it into PTCAS.

You can always call UTSW just to confirm how they will calculate your GPA from the info they receive from PTCAS. I believe this is their first year using PTCAS, so they might just be figuring all this out themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which course gets the repeated mark? The original course or the newest one?

Okay thanks! I think I entered everything correctly....I'll double/triple check before submitting. I definitely don't want any delays because of a mistake I made.

My transcripts span over 5 colleges and 10 years lol I can I'm going to lose sleep over all this lol

Hey what happens if you make a mistake entering your grades and submit? I know delays happen and all that but what's the procedure of fixing it?
Just would like to know just in case

Hey what happens if you make a mistake entering your grades and submit? I know delays happen and all that but what's the procedure of fixing it?
Just would like to know just in case

I think you just go back in and correct it once PTCAS says there was a mistake or something didn't match up

My transcripts span over 5 colleges and 10 years lol I can I'm going to lose sleep over all this lol

I hear you, Alex. I had 5 colleges spanning over 15 years to enter last year!

Is there a way to put in you classes in PTCAS to maximize your GPA score. Are there certain loopholes anyone knows about? Glitches in the system?

Thanks In Advance...

Is there a way to put in you classes in PTCAS to maximize your GPA score. Are there certain loopholes anyone knows about? Glitches in the system?

Thanks In Advance...
Haha pretty sure there are no loopholes...it is what it is. If there were any in the past I'm sure PTCAS shut that down real quick :)

It took me a while. I had 5 colleges over 7 years and discovered a mistake on my original transcripts when entering!