PTA requirements, getting into PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Romiette

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
So, I'm in desperate need of good advice. I currently attend a four year university in Texas and am in the process of earning my Bachelors of Science in Kinesiology, excercise Science with a minor in biology. I chose this degree plan because I have high hopes for getting into PT school somewhere in Trxas. I'll have about a 3.45 at the end of my junior year(may 2016) and will be applying to PT school in fall 2016. The only problem is I'm pretty worried that I'm not going to get into any of the 8 programs, thus a friend who is a PT now suggested I graduate and get my degree and work as a PT assistant/tech to gain experience for a year and THEN apply for PT school. Can you guys give me any advice on this? Is she right? And if so, it it possible to work as a PTA PT tech after getting my degree?

Members don't see this ad.

A PTA is different from a tech/aide, as scrawny guy said you need an associate's degree. Working as a tech/aide does give you some experience, however, I don't think it will make up for poor GPA/GRE scores, so if those are decent I suggest you just apply to PT school off the bat (provided you don't WANT that year of experience as a tech). I think you should just make sure you get good GRE scores and finish out with a strong GPA and apply to programs that accept students with similar credentials. Personally, I don't see much of an added benefit to working as a tech/aide for a year as long as you have the decent stats and observation hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. Apply. If you don't get in you can work as a tech/aide and strengthen your app to apply again.

I would also go ahead and apply. Your GPA is low but not the worst. Try to get some work as a tech right now. Then, make a plan to retake some classes just in case you don't get in the first round of application. Target any pre req classes that you have a C in for retakes.