PTA or a Undergrad Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chancock0126

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Ive been searching and I cant seem to find the question I need.
Coming straight out of the military ( high school directly before ) I am looking to eventually become Physical Therapist. I have the options start a bachelors degree or work towards my PTA. I want to become a DPT, so would it be a waste of time to go through the PTA program?
If I go right into school for an undergrad degree, what degree would have the most beneficial courses to help get into a PT university (for the requirements and pure knowledge)? I know Exercise Science degree and Kinesiology are good options but is Health Sciences, psychology, or biology also a good choice?

Long story short.. I don't want a career as a PTA but is it worth getting? I really enjoy learning about the human body but don't really know which Bachelors Best suits the PT requirements.

Thanks in Advance for any Input!

Edit: Sorry in advance for the post being in the wrong thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I were to do it all over again, I'd get a BS in Kinesiology. The subject is just mad cool.

Reactions: 1 user
A degree will move things faster than a PTA. Kinesiology major will do fine. They usually include the pre-reqs you need for PT school, and you can take electives that go over things that PTA school teaches (modalities, taping and splinting, and therapeutic exercises).

Members don't see this ad :)
You need a bachelors to apply to DPT programs. Do any undergrad degree that lets you fulfills all the pre-recs for PT school, and do well in all of them to keep your GPA above a 3.5 from the beginning.

If you know you want to go for the DPT, I would go right for the degree. Maybe do a year of college first before tackling those pre requisites...just to get back in the swing of school. This will allow you to get the best grades possible in the pre reqs.

Get your undergraduate. Attend a state school and apply for scholarships and grants. It's okay if you have to pay out of pocket for your first year or so; or take out student loans. SAVE your GI Bill for the DPT program. That means your GPA should be >3.5. pGPA should be higher.

Reactions: 1 user
athletic training is better because if you don't get in right away, you can be employed as an AT. What does a kinesiologist do? other than work in a lab

Agree with saving the GI Bill for graduate school! Undergrad is much cheaper, especially if you start at a community college for the first year or so. Also, I found I could work a lot of hours while taking undergrad level courses and paid my tuition bill each semester (stick to the cheaper in state schools). You won't be able to work that much in DPT schools and tuition is high.

Hey, I took a round about way but ended up in PT school. I did ROTC while a getting degree in Kinesiology, went active duty for 7 years, then back to school for prereqs (stayed in Reserves since). I think the least expensive, most efficient, and better chance of attending is looking for a 3+3 program. You earn a Bachelors in 3 years and DPT in 3 more. Check it out...seems like a good deal.

Hey, I took a round about way but ended up in PT school. I did ROTC while a getting degree in Kinesiology, went active duty for 7 years, then back to school for prereqs (stayed in Reserves since). I think the least expensive, most efficient, and better chance of attending is looking for a 3+3 program. You earn a Bachelors in 3 years and DPT in 3 more. Check it out...seems like a good deal.
We have identical paths! Funny to read. Best of luck to you!