PT School - Your Experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patrickd223

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering going to school for a DPT but I cant find any information about the diffuculty of it online. I asked a therapist I work with and she said that everyday is 8 hours in class with mostly activities. What have been your experiences? Do you think that the science classes are similar to those of medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

PT school is intense. I went to Ohio State's graduate PT school. We started at 8 am took 10 minute breaks every 50 minutes and didn't stop till noon. We got an hour for lunch and then two days a week we had three to four hour labs in the afternoon. Half the class were TTh, the other half was MW. Once a week we had journal club where we researched evidence based articles and performed critically appraised topics telling us how valid, reliable, etc. the articles were. We did get fridays off to study, but most people used it to work or relax. Classes consisted of anatomy, neuroscience, pediatrics, geriatrics, orthopedics, neurology, and complex case studies to name the biggees. Not a lot of chemistry used, but quite a bit of physics. We did take a course on pharmacology, and one quarter specifically on pathology, but pathology was indirectly taught in every class since therapists know how disease and trauma impact impairments, functional limitations, and disability. we concentrated on the NAGI model of disease, which begins at the cellular level, which is where PT school will differ the most from medical school. Medschool will look much closer at the genetic and cellular level of disease. I would say the amount of information, at least the first year, is compareable to what you would encounter in med school.

The aspect of PT school that I disliked were all the little extra things they had us do, like service learning projects, writing 1-2 10-15 page case studies each quarter, or making your own company with motto, marketing strategy, pamphlets, etc. and then presenting them to the class and faculty. Oh yeah, putting together a 20 minute learning project presentation in front of the entire class and department was nice and not relaxing.

Clinicals were so so, but they are not near the length of what you have to do for medical school and of course there is no residency. We did 2 four week clinicals in orthopedics and neurology, and 3 eight week clinicals; one had to be in acute care, and the other two were your choice. I chose inpatient rehabilitation and another outpatient sports medicine and orthopedics. This is the best I can recall, but i'm sure I could think of some of the other hoops they made us jump through if you want. Bottom line is PT school is hard and challenging. While no one failed out of my class of 35, some were put on academic probation because you had to maintain above a 3.0, and you could easily fall behind if you let yourself. Happy New Years, and much success with your decision!!!

Reactions: 1 user
PT school is intense. I went to Ohio State's graduate PT school. We started at 8 am took 10 minute breaks every 50 minutes and didn't stop till noon. We got an hour for lunch and then two days a week we had three to four hour labs in the afternoon. Half the class were TTh, the other half was MW. Once a week we had journal club where we researched evidence based articles and performed critically appraised topics telling us how valid, reliable, etc. the articles were. We did get fridays off to study, but most people used it to work or relax. Classes consisted of anatomy, neuroscience, pediatrics, geriatrics, orthopedics, neurology, and complex case studies to name the biggees. Not a lot of chemistry used, but quite a bit of physics. We did take a course on pharmacology, and one quarter specifically on pathology, but pathology was indirectly taught in every class since therapists know how disease and trauma impact impairments, functional limitations, and disability. we concentrated on the NAGI model of disease, which begins at the cellular level, which is where PT school will differ the most from medical school. Medschool will look much closer at the genetic and cellular level of disease. I would say the amount of information, at least the first year, is compareable to what you would encounter in med school.

The aspect of PT school that I disliked were all the little extra things they had us do, like service learning projects, writing 1-2 10-15 page case studies each quarter, or making your own company with motto, marketing strategy, pamphlets, etc. and then presenting them to the class and faculty. Oh yeah, putting together a 20 minute learning project presentation in front of the entire class and department was nice and not relaxing.

Clinicals were so so, but they are not near the length of what you have to do for medical school and of course there is no residency. We did 2 four week clinicals in orthopedics and neurology, and 3 eight week clinicals; one had to be in acute care, and the other two were your choice. I chose inpatient rehabilitation and another outpatient sports medicine and orthopedics. This is the best I can recall, but i'm sure I could think of some of the other hoops they made us jump through if you want. Bottom line is PT school is hard and challenging. While no one failed out of my class of 35, some were put on academic probation because you had to maintain above a 3.0, and you could easily fall behind if you let yourself. Happy New Years, and much success with your decision!!!

Hi, I am wanting to attend OSU. Do you mind sharing your GPA, Pre req GPA, and # of volunteer hours when you applied. I know its been almost a decade since your probably applied but I would still like to see. What did you do to stand out. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Next time PM the person to see if they are still active on the forum instead of bumping an 8 year old thread.

Reactions: 3 users
Bro im not a geek like you who sits on the computer lurking on this site to have that little bit of hope of getting into PT school. .I just made this account to get one piece of information, next time dont even reply saying the most doltish of things.

Bro im not a geek like you who sits on the computer lurking on this site to have that little bit of hope of getting into PT school. .I just made this account to get one piece of information, next time dont even reply saying the most doltish of things.

Bro, do you even common sense?

While this forum is relatively anonymous, we are all future colleagues. Please try to be civil, especially if you are asking for information.

lol...

i_aint_even_mad_493_You_mad_Bro-s485x364-193971-580.jpg