PT school? Other fields to consider?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KN21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-PT from CSU, graduating this fall
cum. GPA 2.5
pre-req GPA 2.8
last 60 unknown, but lets say around 3.2
Clinic hours: 150 outpatient & counting/currently trying to obtain inpatient hrs
Considering taking the GRE in the upcoming months

So not going to give a whole history, but my prior academic record has been atrocious. I've dedicated WAY more time in this last year to my studies. Anyway, what led me to post is that I'm currently doing an assignment for my last KIN class involving my future schools, career, letters, etc. Well quite frankly, the future is bleak and I most definitely need to raise my GPA and do well on the GRE.

Now I've considered doing the PTA route because I (hopefully) can get into a program here in California. (Considering Loma Linda U, 15 mo program). Aside from looking at PTA, PT and some OT programs, that's all I've ever considered.

What I'm asking is what other paths have you or others considered/taken if PT is not the route?

What is discouraging me is that it'll be another year or so to rebuild my GPA. (I'm 25 & wanna get going!)
I feel like since being a PT is so in demand, the requirements have become high and hearing my professor say 3.2 gpa just won't cut it is SUPER discouraging!
I'm 25. I've been feeling the heat from peer/family pressure. Just wanted to see if there were any alternative fields or schools people could recommend. I've already looked at specific PT schools in regards to which don't factor in GPA, GRE scores, exp hours, etc.

I most definitely want to stick to medical and quite frankly most medical professions interest me. (I had one friend go for PA, similar situation as I and got into a program)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

South College would take you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
I think rebuilding your GPA would be ideal by re-taking some classes. My GPA or pre-req GPA wasn't as low as yours, but it wasn't far off. I worked my ass off taking other classes, working in the PT field as an aide or front desk and have learned the ins and outs of PT. I was able to raise my GPA, take the GRE again, get an interview and get accepted into a program. PT school is definitely competitive, especially out in Cali. If you would be fine with going the PTA route, then I say go for it. If not, then don't settle and be patient. Look at schools out of state and see what they look at (last 60 hours, GRE, etc.) I've been attempting this dream of mine for 7 years (I'll be 30 next year) and I understand the desire and passion to get started. However, don't settle if that's not what you want simply because you just "want to get going." Consider more options than just in state, even if it means moving or spending a little more than you desire. I'm not super pumped I'm moving 6.5 hours from home (GA to NC), but it's not the end of the world. It's 3 years of my life that will benefit me for the better

Members don't see this ad :)
I think rebuilding your GPA would be ideal by re-taking some classes. My GPA or pre-req GPA wasn't as low as yours, but it wasn't far off. I worked my ass off taking other classes, working in the PT field as an aide or front desk and have learned the ins and outs of PT. I was able to raise my GPA, take the GRE again, get an interview and get accepted into a program. PT school is definitely competitive, especially out in Cali. If you would be fine with going the PTA route, then I say go for it. If not, then don't settle and be patient. Look at schools out of state and see what they look at (last 60 hours, GRE, etc.) I've been attempting this dream of mine for 7 years (I'll be 30 next year) and I understand the desire and passion to get started. However, don't settle if that's not what you want simply because you just "want to get going." Consider more options than just in state, even if it means moving or spending a little more than you desire. I'm not super pumped I'm moving 6.5 hours from home (GA to NC), but it's not the end of the world. It's 3 years of my life that will benefit me for the better

Couple questions:
How long and how many units did it take you to rebuild your GPA?
What were your stats like when you applied and what schools?

I'm really considering the PTA route. Not only will I not be in major debt in PT school, I'll still be able to work and make a decent living. Also the time in PTA school will also boost my GPA, and the experience I've gained working as one should be another addition should I pursue a DPT. Who knows? Maybe bridge programs may be developed in the future? The only downside I can really see is biting the bullet, telling my family especially. I could have done this initially when I was slacking and clueless several years ago.

Honestly, I graduated with my Bachelor's in 2009. It wasn't until Summer of 2011 that my ass finally woke up and decided to do something about my GPA after applying when I graduated and the year after and wasting money. My initial GPA from undergrad is about a 3.2 and my pre-req at the time was around a 2.8 because physics KILLED me and I also didn't take the correct chemistry while in college. I took 3 classes in fall of 2011 (9-10 credit hours), 1 class in spring of 2014 (4 credit hours) and then I actually decided to move to Savannah so I could enroll full time at a university that wasn't so crowded and take everything I needed at once for 2 semesters, plus additional stuff to make my application look better. Their program was actually better equipped with classes to prepare me for PT school (pathophysiology, neuroscience, etc.). I took about 24-27 credit hours total while down there. So overall if you combined it, probably 3 semesters worth of stuff to make my application stand out, but it was well worth it. My post bac GPA is now at a 3.85 and my overall GPA rose to about a 3.3-3.4. My pre req increased to about a 3.2 or 3.45 according to PTCAS when it was self-reported. I applied to a university I've never heard of before in NC, because they sent out a randomized email and I figured what the hell? Within 2 weeks, they had my stuff processed, since they don't go through PTCAS, and invited me for an interview, which went incredibly well. They wait-listed me, but we were also the first round of applicants they interviewed. I heard back from them in early August that I was accepted. I applied ED to GA State just for the hell of it, but they denied me for an ED interview and threw me in the general applicant pool, but don't start interviewing until late Oct., which I don't have time to wait around for, especially when I've put my deposit down for another school that actually looks at me as a person and not just another number....
In the past, I've applied to GA State, Brenau, Augusta State, Elon, UNG, Midwestern U, AT Still, Wingate and Armstrong. Brenau, GA State and Augusta U were the recent ones I applied to last year and received a rejection from all, with my stats being what they are as I mentioned above.
I believe I remember seeing some type of bridge program in Ohio I think for PTA to PT? I've heard mixed things about going from PTA to PT. I've heard a lot of schools won't really choose to accept you, even with the wealth of knowledge because they know for a fact the reason you're choosing to pursue your DPT now is more likely for the pay increase. But, I could be wrong? I'm sure there are people out there who've gotten accepted being a PTA, but I haven't personally met anyone or heard much about it actually happening. I know a few of my college buddies who chose to go the PTA route are pretty happy because they still get to do what they want to do, minus more paperwork and an decent living wage.
When it comes down to it, I think it's dependent on what you truly want to do: whether you want to pursue a DPT or not or whether going the PTA route would truly make you happy or you're just doing it to settle. I know when I was struggling myself, I thought many times about saying screw it and going the PTA route, but I had a gut feeling if I did, I would be settling and I'd hate myself for it. So, I worked in the PT field full time, gained tons of knowledge and kept pushing myself. I know it's a tough decision, but ultimately you need to do what you feel is right for YOU, regardless of whether it takes a little more time to reach your goal

I appreciate you taking the time to write all this!

As of now, I don't really know what my gut is telling me. I sent out my progression report to my advisor this week with my list of schools and backups in case. I'll definitely get some insight as to what is the next step. But PTA is really enticing me. At the clinic where I used to work, I had one tell me it wasn't the most strenuous schooling and it allowed him to work decent hours and still sustain a very minimal living situation, rather than being in debt like crazy from PT school. I already work a decent job as it is and pairing it with full-time school has never been a problem.

I don't know what my decision will be yet, but I really do appreciate you sharing your story. Hopefully others can input and use this, because I'm sure there are plenty of others in the same boat.

crush your GREs. had a terrible gpa 2.9 iirc. got a 159 160 on my gres and I got accepted into pt school. They just need proof that you're not a dummy.Also apply early.

The other path I was going to do was industrial Hygiene. I chose Pt because I ultimately want to work for my self, the goal seemed more tangible as a PT then an industrial hygienist.

Last edited: