PT SCHOOL INTERVIEW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pttotherescue

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I feel that I have a very strong application for PT school, however sometimes I cant make the correct words come out during pressure...ie interviews. I was wondering if anyone knew any resources that talk about potential questions that are asked, and maybe even how to develop an answer that is both concise and effective. BTW my stats are as follows:

Overall GPA: 3.92
Science GPA: 3.87
Hours in outpatient PT: 300
Hours in inpatient PT: 150
Have 3 letters of rec.
GRE scores:

Math: 161
Verbal: 157
Essay: 5.3

Members don't see this ad.

There is a book on Amazon that is done well! It has great reviews! I have heard some good things about it from people. It has over 40 answers to the most common pt interview questions and will give you examples of bad answers, good answers, etc. It will also sort of teach you how to formulate your own answers. Here is the link to it:

Amazon product

That is actually a very good book! I had applied to about 11 pt schools, and I had an interview for one school. I was denied from that school, and bought that book and I got into the next three schools I interviewed for! Lots of good information in the book, and I would definitely recommend it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Develop an idea about what you want to say but try not to memorize exact words. The more you try to exactly memorize a response, the greater you'll be thrown off if you forget something. When preparing for my interviews, I practiced my responses in the mirror and sometimes recorded them to see how I'd sound and assess my body language. Trust me, its definitely not easy listening or watching yourself but it helps a lot! Also, ask friends/family to mock interview you with a few questions.

Thanks for the advice GrandeFasciaeLatae! I will definitely start practicing that. I have heard some good things about the book. Has pretty good reviews. I think I am going to pick up a copy of that. I just know that its getting increasingly competitive to get into schools and want to make sure I am putting in 100% effort.

I just wanted to give everyone a follow up. I got into PT school! Three of them to be exact. I got into Northwestern University in Chicago Illinois, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Delaware. That book was amazing and really helped me to organize my thoughts and relay them in the interview! Thank you Gaurav Khanal.

Reactions: 2 users
What types of questions were you asked in your interviews? Were any of them technical questions?

What types of questions were you asked in your interviews? Were any of them technical questions?

It depends on the school. Some schools will make you sit with several applicants and basically see who shines the most. Some schools will ask you direct questions about your unique application, your motivation and intentions with attending their specific program, and bounce ideas off what you say.

At the end of the day, know why you want to attend that school (even if it’s not your top choice) and avoid saying “ummmm.” If you need a moment to think, that’s okay. Take a deep breath and collect your thoughts.

The question I got asked a lot was “what makes a good PT.”

Reactions: 1 user
I figured out for myself that when I am asked a question and have no idea what to answer, it is better to say /make up SOMETHING even if this SOMETHING does not make any sense. As long as you look like you are confident in what you are talking about, it will work out. At least I have done that quite a few times and passed the interviews. I am sure this strategy will not work for everyone, but may be something worth to consider :)