PT and nutrition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puppypaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm planning on applying to DPT school this summer, but besides physical therapy I'm really interested in nutrition. Does anyone know if it's possible to be a PT but also help patients nutritionally as well in more of a dual way? I wasn't sure if this was possible, but I'm hoping that in the future I can work with patients dually with both exercises and nutrition.
Thanks for any input. I haven't been able to find much information on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I wish I could trade my Ex Sci degree for Dietetics so I could have an RD. Not worth an extra year to get it at this point and delay PT track since I was so narrow minded until mid Junior year...

Anyone want to swap degrees with me? :D

I've often wondered how you could incorporate the two fields. I too will have a degree is exercise science but because of the curriculum, I've had to take a lot of nutrition classes (Metabolism I&II, Biochem, Sport Nutrition, Basic Nutrition), and am wondering how many more core classes I'd need to be sufficiently prepared if I wanted to get an RD license....definitely something to look into.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a future PA and I am also looking into doing this as well. Glad to see there are others that have similar interests.

Puppypaws,

This is definitely possible to incorporate the two. You will see it more in the ortho/sports clinics, especially those with an integrated health approach. However, I think you should have a degree in nutrition to claim that you specifically provide that service. However, like personal trainers, strength and conditioning coaches, etc, we all can make recommendations on nutrition. There's no doubt that proper nutrition helps in tissue healing and improving overall health.

I don't know specifics, but seems doable.

Thanks for the replies.
It's nice to know that others have also considered this.
I'm thinking that I could go for PT, and then maybe there's a master school for nutrition or something that would take in students who already have a BS degree or higher.
Going for the nutrition degree first would take an extra year before PT school, though maybe it's worth it.