PT and AT as an undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timberpine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on what specifically to major in for my undergrad.
I want to be able to get a bachelors in AT but also still be able to apply to PT schools for a masters program. My mindset is that both program over lap with a lot of the studies and I can go ahead and begin working after my bachelors (I know this is getting phased out in 5-7 yrs). I'm not sure if this is possible though or if people in the past have done so. I've heard of doing a dual degree on the graduate level (which I also plan on doing) but nothing for undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Lot's of people go into PT after getting their bachelor's in athletic training. That being said, unless you're outside the U.S., you can't get a Master's in PT anymore. All of the programs in the U.S. are now required the confer the DPT.

Reactions: 1 user
AT will require a master's for new licensures soon, but I'm not sure exactly when. If you can still become an ATC with a bachelor's 4 years from now and you are seriously interested in sports rehab it is a highly advisable undergrad degree. However, AT school is no walk in the park. You will be working a lot harder in undergrad than you would with any other degree, mostly because of the clinical education component.

Edit: apparently the cut of is that no baccalaureate AT students may be matriculated after fall 2022. So it is still possible, though I think a large number of programs are already doing away with there bachelor's programs. But there's gonna be a few that will hold out to the bitter end I'm sure. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the AT field though so hopefully someone else can jump in here.

Last edited: