[PsyD] Do I have to identify faculty I want to work with in personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilylovex3

Reaction score
For clinical and counseling psych. PhD programs, you have to identify in your personal statement at least 1 faculty you'd like to research under and be mentored by. Is this the same for psy.d programs?

Since PsyD programs are more clinical I thought you didn't have to. But then a few PsyD programs seemed to highlight faculty's research. So it made me think, huh, maybe you have to pick a faculty member you'd like to research. But it's not clear to me. (Maybe there are a few psyd programs where you have to? If so, then should my personal statement be the same as my clinical/counseling psych phd personal statements?).

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the PsyD Program. Some university-based PsyDs function similarly to balanced PhD programs and even have a mentorship model, in which case you should identify faculty of interest. If the website is highlighting faculty research, chances are that's the case. I would also see if they are highlighting student research. If so, then it can be beneficial to discuss potential faculty mentors of interest.

Reactions: 2 users
It depends on the PsyD Program. Some university-based PsyDs function similarly to balanced PhD programs and even have a mentorship model, in which case you should identify faculty of interest. If the website is highlighting faculty research, chances are that's the case. I would also see if they are highlighting student research. If so, then it can be beneficial to discuss potential faculty mentors of interest.
Thanks PsyDuck! Do you recommend that I reach out to their Admissions to confirm if I should identify faculty?

I'm guessing I won't have to change my personal statement (for clinical/counseling psychology phd programs) that much then if apply for PsyDs that also emphasize research?

Members don't see this ad :)
'm guessing I won't have to change my personal statement (for clinical/counseling psychology phd programs) that much then if apply for PsyDs that also emphasize research?

It's wise to have a specific personal statement for every program you apply to since each program has their own set of training experiences to offer you.

Reactions: 2 users
For clinical and counseling psych. PhD programs, you have to identify in your personal statement at least 1 faculty you'd like to research under and be mentored by. Is this the same for psy.d programs?

Since PsyD programs are more clinical I thought you didn't have to. But then a few PsyD programs seemed to highlight faculty's research. So it made me think, huh, maybe you have to pick a faculty member you'd like to research. But it's not clear to me. (Maybe there are a few psyd programs where you have to? If so, then should my personal statement be the same as my clinical/counseling psych phd personal statements?).

This is not a true statement. That being said, you may want to broaden where you apply to increase odds of matching and obtaining full funding. And yes, you should discuss faculty research interests that align with your own as it relates a goodness of fit with the acceptance committee.

Reactions: 1 users