psychology requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grim317

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is psychology definitely a must have in order to be accepted to an optometry school? Can I get accepted if I have already graduated with a BS, but without that pre-req?

Thanks,
grim

Members don't see this ad.

Hi grim:

You can review the ASCO 2002 School Specific Prerequisites here - http://www.opted.org/info_profile1.cfm

From the chart, you can determine if a Psychology course is required or recommended, and how many courses you will need to take.

If you have received your B.S., you can take a required psych course at a junior college/community college.

I would also contact the admission offices of the schools you are planning to apply to, and ask them for any suggestions if they do require a psychology course. Sometimes, they may defer the prerequisite to be completed at a later time.

Best wishes,

Rosanna

I had already grauated, but took psych at the local community college to fulfill the pre-req. If it's listed as a pre-req for the school you have to take it. It's very rare that they wave a pre-req. The only cases I've seen that they've done that is if you take a class that's HARDER or of a higher level than the required pre-req.

But call the school to find out which community college they recommend if you're going to take a night class. Some schools look more favorably at one college than another.