psychology programs in chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icebreakers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the best clinical psychology programs in chicago? doctorate/matsters programs?
and how are their competitiveness?

????

Members don't see this ad.

Shockingly, I mostly agree with Jon though I would add Univ. of Chicago's program between DePaul's and CMS.

One thing I would add, there are two N.U. programs. Both are good but the Evanston one is better if you intend to do research and the Chicago one is better if you intend to practice/work in public policy/be an administrator.

Shockingly, I mostly agree with Jon though I would add Univ. of Chicago's program between DePaul's and CMS.

One thing I would add, there are two N.U. programs. Both are good but the Evanston one is better if you intend to do research and the Chicago one is better if you intend to practice/work in public policy/be an administrator.

Are you referring to the MSW program at the Univ of Chicago? I went there for undergrad and they don't have any clinical psych program that I'm aware of.

Members don't see this ad :)
btw, if you are thinking of applying solely by geography, I HIGHLY urge you to reconsider, or to at least make sure you have a solid research match. I have SEVERAL friends who tried and all of them are without a school for next year.

Are you referring to the MSW program at the Univ of Chicago? I went there for undergrad and they don't have any clinical psych program that I'm aware of.

Hi,

The human dev. program allows people to obtain clinical hours and is accepted for licensure in most states. It isn't APA accredited, and there are a lot of problems with it, but I still think it is probably better than CES. Just my opinion.

Wow, that's harsh (on CMS).

Not really. I've just been really impressed with some of the alumni and students from Univ. of Chicago. I would probably rank them higher if not for the politics and the utter lack of support for clinical work. CMS is good too, but I think the alumni network and research is better at U of C.

What about IIT? this program is accredited, correct? any thoughts?

I'm definitely planning on applying to IIT as I've had profs recommend the program. I hear it's more clinically focused than most PhD programs, however, so i guess it depends on what you're looking for.

OP, it depends on what you consider "the best".

for research: it depends on what you are interested in researching. each school has VERY different research interests. there is no objective measure for best. Northwestern recently received an NIMH grant, which is fairly prestigious. Loyola's counseling program has produced some interesting research on diversity.

for clinical practice: the apa approved psyd programs in chicago generally follow a similar course load/ training hours. the apa approved phd programs also follow a similar course load with similar clinical contact hours. there are differences between the populations of interest which vary by school.

good luck in your search.

I know a few people who've come out of IIT, and they really enjoyed the program.

Chicago is competitive for psych in general. This includes practicum placements, internship and post-doc. Keep that in mind if you plan on settling here. It's a fabulous place to live :D