Psychologists/Psychiatrists for Medical Professionals/Spouses

dalmat04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

My husband (3rd year EM resident) and I live outside Pittsburgh. I was wondering if anyone had any resources they could share to help me find a mental health professional to speak with in the Pbgh area. I feel that my marriage is struggling under the weight of his residency and that I have no one to really talk to who understands this process and the unique stress that accompanies it. I have looked online and come up empty so any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.

My husband (3rd year EM resident) and I live outside Pittsburgh. I was wondering if anyone had any resources they could share to help me find a mental health professional to speak with in the Pbgh area. I feel that my marriage is struggling under the weight of his residency and that I have no one to really talk to who understands this process and the unique stress that accompanies it. I have looked online and come up empty so any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Try calling the University of Pittsburgh Counseling Center and ask if they can provide a referral to an appropriate couples therapist. The psychiatry department at the Medical Center may also have good leads as would the psychology department. For an online listing of therapists, you can try www.psychologytoday.com and search for a therapist in the Pittsburgh area. Therapists from a variety of backgrounds are listed and the quality varies greatly, but you can at least get a sense if some of them appear to be a good fit and worth further inquiry.

I hear ya....I get a lot of support from Doctor's Wives blogs. Google "lives of doctors wives blog" and you'll be amazed by the outpouring of support online. It may help you cope between now and the time you find a health professional to discuss it with...

The communities you will find often have the theme of "we didn't know who to talk to who understands our unique stressors so we came online." Check them out. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it highly unlikely you will find a professional psychologist who has the insight you seek in this special kind of relationship, although a good psychiatrist will "get it,"but agree with victoriah that online you will find many spouses who can help you a lot. Its unlikely you would be of interest to an MD psychiatrist but one might direct you to the better marriage counsellors who may have special insight. One place that I know is GREAT for marriages, and has a wonderful telephone counselling service is divorcebusting.com. Highly recommend any books by Michelle Weiner Davis, an advocate of marriage and SBO (solution-oriented brief) therapy. As a spouse (29 years), daughter, sister of doctors, I know your pain. Medicine is unlike any other profession, including dentistry, pharmacy, and some of the other health care specialties and each specialty seems to attract its own personality types, not exclusively, of course, but notably. Medical training changes people forever, and it can be helpful to learn about this from those who live with them. I and many long-time medical spouses are glad to mentor, so I would also encourage you to go to an alliance meeting, or reach out to the wife of an older doctor, or attending, in your spouse's hospital. I bet someone would love to help, listen, and mentor your marriage. Please feel free to PM me. I think I have (almost) seen it all, and can give you, perhaps, some perspective.

Hello.

Many thanks!

First, I just wonder have you discussed how you are feeling with your husband. He probably is so absorbed with his residency that he does not realize the distress you are experiencing. I find that in alot of my couples work that simple, mere communication is missing or the other person does not really listen when the other tells of their plite.

I think it highly unlikely you will find a professional psychologist who has the insight you seek in this special kind of relationship...

Can people who have been abused only be helped by an abuse survivor? How about an amputee who needs help coping with the loss of a limb, should they only seek out help from someone who has also had an amputation? And my favorite....someone with a drug problem, should they only work with someone who has also had a drug problem?

Get help sooner than later. It's important to work through these issues because life continues to get busy (and so does work). Residency is demanding, but life after residency can be just as demanding - if not more.