Psychologists accounted for almost 5% of suicides among healthcare professionals in 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDr

Psychologist
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

The numbers for all healthcare professions from 2020-today are going to be very interesting.

Reactions: 1 users
I question the stat that said that 8% had issues with substance use. My experience has been that substance use is a huge risk factor. I think that it is probably accurate to say that they weren’t identified as having an issue with substance use as it is often a hidden problem. Just in general my patients come to me with all kinds of presenting problems and substance use is often part of the mix and it just isn’t a healthy thing to add to mental health. My own experience has been more like 80% of suicides had substance use involved. Small n and maybe a couple of them were accidental overdoses, but still I think we do need to attend to it. Surprisingly enough, marijuana use was linked to the death of two patients who I worked with. Vulnerability to psychosis plus cannabis, not good. This latter is probably less of an issue with psychologists, but just thought that info should get out there more.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the one hand, this seems to follow the general population in terms of demographics. More men than women, men in their 50s, guns, etc.

On the other, you'd hope that being a psychologist was a little more protective. However, this job can be hella stressful and one wrong move can tank your career or get you screwed by the board.

For example, I've been dealing with an especially stressful couple of weeks. Last week the middle management saw autism dollar signs and wanted to designate us a "center of excellence" without including behavioral health in the decision and we had to "advocate" that the middle manager making this decision has no right to make massive decisions that affect clinical care, and I stupidly volunteered to develop an autism planning clinic (actually excited about that), I had a 10 year old nonverbal patient kill the family bunny over the weekend after working with the family twice (he needs a higher level of care, duh), and I had a crazy mom tell her ex husband that I was being sued for malpractice (to my knowledge I'm not) after she withdrew consent (which is fine because she's cray) because I wouldn't let her record and observe my testing with the child and now wants full custody so I had to call that mom and make sure that she knew I wasn't being sued. Oh and I am waiting for a call back from a divorced dad across the country because we don't have a consent on file and I'm hoping to get at least verbal consent before I meet with them - and this mom was previously seeing a counselor and demanded to see a psychologist "because we're not poor" and is going to throw a fit if I can't reach dad. Also, my kids' daycare shut down two classes because of a stomach bug going around and I have one more sick day left and my wife is doing time sensitive lab stuff (they're in batch this week) and cant take any time off.

Phew. Sorry for the rant.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
My reaction without seeing the entire article is that this is deeply sad. I'm very much an ECP and I can think of at least three psychologist suicides that have impacted my colleagues in the last few years. In talking with them, even as a professional myself, sometimes there are no words.

Reactions: 1 user
On the one hand, this seems to follow the general population in terms of demographics. More men than women, men in their 50s, guns, etc.

On the other, you'd hope that being a psychologist was a little more protective. However, this job can be hella stressful and one wrong move can tank your career or get you screwed by the board.

For example, I've been dealing with an especially stressful couple of weeks. Last week the middle management saw autism dollar signs and wanted to designate us a "center of excellence" without including behavioral health in the decision and we had to "advocate" that the middle manager making this decision has no right to make massive decisions that affect clinical care, and I stupidly volunteered to develop an autism planning clinic (actually excited about that), I had a 10 year old nonverbal patient kill the family bunny over the weekend after working with the family twice (he needs a higher level of care, duh), and I had a crazy mom tell her ex husband that I was being sued for malpractice (to my knowledge I'm not) after she withdrew consent (which is fine because she's cray) because I wouldn't let her record and observe my testing with the child and now wants full custody so I had to call that mom and make sure that she knew I wasn't being sued. Oh and I am waiting for a call back from a divorced dad across the country because we don't have a consent on file and I'm hoping to get at least verbal consent before I meet with them - and this mom was previously seeing a counselor and demanded to see a psychologist "because we're not poor" and is going to throw a fit if I can't reach dad. Also, my kids' daycare shut down two classes because of a stomach bug going around and I have one more sick day left and my wife is doing time sensitive lab stuff (they're in batch this week) and cant take any time off.

Phew. Sorry for the rant.
Just the term “middle management“ would be enough to send me on a rant. This is a tough job and dealing with legal and ethical issues and overall organizational planning is part of why psychologists should get paid and be involved in the decision making. Bean counters making decisions that affect treatment could send me on a whole other level of ranting. Keep on ranting and fighting for the professional practice of psychology is what I would say. Also, they should pay you more. I don’t even know how much you get paid, but I think all licensed psychologists should get paid more.

Reactions: 2 users
Just the term “middle management“ would be enough to send me on a rant. This is a tough job and dealing with legal and ethical issues and overall organizational planning is part of why psychologists should get paid and be involved in the decision making. Bean counters making decisions that affect treatment could send me on a whole other level of ranting. Keep on ranting and fighting for the professional practice of psychology is what I would say. Also, they should pay you more. I don’t even know how much you get paid, but I think all licensed psychologists should get paid more.
I make 100500 a year. I find it just enough to keep me from starting my own thing... I share salary info freely.

Reactions: 3 users
It makes sense, I used to believe that I was an expert at separating work from personal life, but when I became an attending psychiatrist a year ago, I realized that wasn't the case. I think there are days when you bring work home with you, whether its through difficult patients, clueless administrators, stupid policies, etc. I can easily see how psychologists get burned out; I have many difficult patients who see a psychologist and that is definitely why I admire psychologists, having the ability to maintain professionalism for prolonged periods of time. For my difficult patients, its often just 20 minute encounters. I think it definitely takes a large amount of resilience to be in mental health, and over time that resilience can wear down.

I stress this all the time, to do the things you enjoy especially if you're making decent money. Save for the future but enjoy the present. Spoil yourself, or youll end up a patient. I have had to learn to do that myself.

Reactions: 5 users
Our clinic has had a rough past couple of weeks and we're all kind of struggling. I mean I don't know about suicidal thoughts with my colleagues, I'm certainly not having any, but I do get it.

Our clinic has had a rough past couple of weeks and we're all kind of struggling. I mean I don't know about suicidal thoughts with my colleagues, I'm certainly not having any, but I do get it.
whats your clinic setting?

I’d say you are making nowhere near enough to justify what you’re experiencing.
I also get 6 weeks pto, plus a week of cme and sick time... insurance is pretty good too. My wife just got a 20% raise today.

I'm highly passionate about our population, too. Plus, it beats being a school psych.

Members don't see this ad :)
Come to the dark side, jump into the nice warm waters of private practice.
I'd had my doubts, but I'm much happier thus far in PP. I work more, and harder, but I'm happier. I was definitely becoming burnt out previously, although we'll see if the same happens here in a few more years. Healthcare systems are stressful for pretty much all healthcare providers, but my take is that they can be especially so for psychologists, for a variety of reasons.

The good thing with PP is I could just decide to take a random month off if need be.

I'd had my doubts, but I'm much happier thus far in PP. I work more, and harder, but I'm happier. I was definitely becoming burnt out previously, although we'll see if the same happens here in a few more years. Healthcare systems are stressful for pretty much all healthcare providers, but my take is that they can be especially so for psychologists, for a variety of reasons.

The good thing with PP is I could just decide to take a random month off if need be.

Flexibility and high reimbursement definitely has its perks.

I'm highly passionate about our population, too.
This piece really stands out for me. For some of us, our patient population is likely both a protective factor (accomplishment, purpose) while also adding significant stress in our life that might even promote suicidality in some cases.

But moving to different kinds of work or settings, even if it reduces certain patient-driven stressors, may not always be the answer if that new work feels less rewarding. Maybe purely from the perspective of reducing suicide risk but maybe not so much from other quality of life perspectives.

I work in the VA system and willingly took a much harder lateral position that interested me to work with veterans flagged as higher risk for suicide, many of whom have untreated chronic mental health conditions and personality features. My previous job was a breeze compared to this (inpatient at a relatively nonbusy medical center with plenty of downtime to watch YouTube and shoot the **** with colleagues everyday) but I didn’t get as much fulfillment and that started to bug me over time.

Now, I have a lot of incredibly stressful patients but I generally get enough positive reinforcement from the work itself and have pretty good environmental supports (work from home, lower productivity requirements than general outpatient mental health, a supportive team, lots of work-related autonomy) to help buffer the most difficult parts of the job.

But there are definitely days/periods when the stress of the work totally overrides these positives. Generally these periods pass (taking some sick days can help) but I also recognize that I’ll need to continue to tend to this and make adjustments where possible, some personal and some professional and perhaps leave this job if that balance gets too consistently skewed in the wrong direction.

Hope you find some ways to get through this difficult patch!

This piece really stands out for me. For some of us, our patient population is likely both a protective factor (accomplishment, purpose) while also adding significant stress in our life that might even promote suicidality in some cases.

But moving to different kinds of work or settings, even if it reduces certain patient-driven stressors, may not always be the answer if that new work feels less rewarding. Maybe purely from the perspective of reducing suicide risk but maybe not so much from other quality of life perspectives.

I work in the VA system and willingly took a much harder lateral position that interested me to work with veterans flagged as higher risk for suicide, many of whom have untreated chronic mental health conditions and personality features. My previous job was a breeze compared to this (inpatient at a relatively nonbusy medical center with plenty of downtime to watch YouTube and shoot the **** with colleagues everyday) but I didn’t get as much fulfillment and that started to bug me over time.

Now, I have a lot of incredibly stressful patients but I generally get enough positive reinforcement from the work itself and have pretty good environmental supports (work from home, lower productivity requirements than general outpatient mental health, a supportive team, lots of work-related autonomy) to help buffer the most difficult parts of the job.

But there are definitely days/periods when the stress of the work totally overrides these positives. Generally these periods pass (taking some sick days can help) but I also recognize that I’ll need to continue to tend to this and make adjustments where possible, some personal and some professional and perhaps leave this job if that balance gets too consistently skewed in the wrong direction.

Hope you find some ways to get through this difficult patch!

What region do you work in, southeast/north/etc? Just curious, when I was in residency in SE region, I did a ton of VA work. The documentation system was brutal, and took >30 mins to write a note due to some new thing they did, forget what its called. A lot of the psychologists seemed burned out. Even from my end as a psychiatrist, I felt like doing that every day would take its toll. A lot of the patients I encountered were on the more challenging end. Perhaps it was my area/region

What region do you work in, southeast/north/etc? Just curious, when I was in residency in SE region, I did a ton of VA work. The documentation system was brutal, and took >30 mins to write a note due to some new thing they did, forget what its called. A lot of the psychologists seemed burned out. Even from my end as a psychiatrist, I felt like doing that every day would take its toll. A lot of the patients I encountered were on the more challenging end. Perhaps it was my area/region
Employed by a Western VA system while living physically elsewhere but I think these burdens are spread pretty equally nationwide. Some systems may emphasize different particulars where there may be some national ambiguity (should notes be completed within 24 or 48 hours?) and apply pressures uniquely but the overall burden has likely gotten worse since whenever you last worked in the VA in terms of clinical things to complete (treatment plan, clinical reminders, suicide risk evals and safety plans) and timelines to get notes in by, both of which have increased in emphasis even in the few years that I’ve been a trainee and now staff psychologist.

Lots of psychologists are currently leaving nationwide due to these demands and lack of flexibility over things like productivity and schedules, as well as the prospects of more pay or easier pay elsewhere.

I’ve actually come to enjoy our very outdated EMR system (CPRS) and dread whenever we switch over to Cerner. However, I remember this one very old Dell desktop that I had to use during internship where I could literally open CPRS, leave my office to use the restroom and it would still be trying to open by the time I returned. Thankfully, things are better for me now.

whats your clinic setting?

VA community-based outpatient clinic a good distance from the main hospital, so we're bound by many of the main hospital rules without any of the resources. We also are subject to facility-level leadership that don't understand mental health. So either our policies and rules are set by mental health admin in the main hospital who don't understand our local needs, or local leadership who don't understand how mental health works.

We're also in a separate building all by ourselves so we often get neglected. We feel like the redheaded step-children.

• Wow
Employed by a Western VA system while living physically elsewhere but I think these burdens are spread pretty equally nationwide. Some systems may emphasize different particulars where there may be some national ambiguity (should notes be completed within 24 or 48 hours?) and apply pressures uniquely but the overall burden has likely gotten worse since whenever you last worked in the VA in terms of clinical things to complete (treatment plan, clinical reminders, suicide risk evals and safety plans) and timelines to get notes in by, both of which have increased in emphasis even in the few years that I’ve been a trainee and now staff psychologist.

Lots of psychologists are currently leaving nationwide due to these demands and lack of flexibility over things like productivity and schedules, as well as the prospects of more pay or easier pay elsewhere.

I’ve actually come to enjoy our very outdated EMR system (CPRS) and dread whenever we switch over to Cerner. However, I remember this one very old Dell desktop that I had to use during internship where I could literally open CPRS, leave my office to use the restroom and it would still be trying to open by the time I returned. Thankfully, things are better for me now.
cerner is great. The VA is switching to cerner? I think cerner powerchart is actually pretty sweet

I don't want to work evenings!

The latest that I schedule clinical work to start is 1PM. I do most of our daycare pickups. I only do work in the evenings if I jammed too much IME work into my schedule and have deadlines approaching. I sometimes travel for forensic work. Not required, but the money is hard to pass up. So, I don't think evenings are necessary at all. You can probably fill your practice more quickly, and you may more easily get cash pay that way, but I know a lot of people with full schedules in PP who are only regular business hours.

I don't want to work evenings!
I don’t work evenings. Right now I’m barely working mornings. 16 patients next week and that is enough to pay all the bills. I don’t know if the market can support all of us going all cash, but it’s working for me so far. When you have the experience and skills, patients recognize it and if they can pay they will pay. I have a few strategies to help increase access for people that have less resources and this involves some sliding scale flexibility and training other clinicians which also is something I enjoy doing. If I could do 20 hours of direct billable contact and have interns doing their thing for 5 to 10 hours apiece, that would probably work. I see interns as needing less than ten hours a week of my time, but even with that number, that puts me at only 30 hours.

I want to keep my workload low because I also am willing to work with some of the most challenging cases. Local clinicians will refer to me when they are feeling in over their head. This can be stressful, but I also have experience and strategies to manage these types of patients. I also don’t have to worry about anybody else making the decision or second guessing mine. Also, the low workload gives me time to do yoga and we are bringing a regular class into our practice for all of us to use. Self-care, self-care, self-care. I’m pretty resilient so I can neglect that at times and stretch myself a little thin, but if I do that for too long, not good. I have friends and colleagues and support group to all help me remember to take care of myself.

My goal is to make a good living and not work long hours. I was going to say not work too hard but I actually enjoy a certain amount of hard work so there is a balance there. I should probably integrate that concept into my mission statement somehow whenever I get around to crafting that.

I have several reasons for not jumping into the waters of a private practice:

1. Still kinda of figuring this stuff out! I've been licensed 4 years and want to be a little more polished before I develop my own brand.
  2. I've got two young kids. I enjoy being only a block away from their daycare and the flexibility it provides.
  3. My job is more flexible than my wife's and as of yesterday, I am no longer making the most money in the house. So proud of her.
  4. Balance - I am very competitive and driven - even more so when money is involved. I could see myself becoming a real psycho when I am being reinforced with money and the anxiety of starting a practice lighting a fire under my ass. Like one time during the summer after I got my BA, my dad paid me a grand plus expenses to paint the barn, bunk house, and out buildings on the ranch. He thought it would take me at least a week. I got that done, without being half assed, in two 14 hour days without lunch. Even today, I am still do that stuff if I pick up a side gig.
  5. Growth - I'm not sure if I want a traditional testing/therapy practice that's just me. I could do a narrow focused practice that only focuses on ADHD and bring on a nurse practitioner to prescribe meds. Or I could have a broader focus - a center that focuses on the assessment and treatment of the neurodevelopmental disorders. I'd love to include orton gillingham interventionists, speech therapists, bcba's, etc.
  6. I'd want to start big - and at least find a three room shop where I can recoup/rent out offices. Ideally, I'd like to buy a house in the middle of the city and renovate it to kid friendly and family friendly offices. I'm thinking a good start time is when both of my off spring are in public school (daycare is about 2400 a month) and although we have a hefty savings - that's a big burn rate if I go out on my own now.
  7. I'd love to see how well I could do only taking medicaid and cash. Personally, I'd like my cash rate to be competitive and affordable for middle classers in my city too.
  8. I want to be present with the kids.
  9. I kinda like keeping it in the back pocket just in case.
  10. I supply the benefits right now.

Last edited:
I am working on building my finances, as im a younger attending but I can see myself starting a PP in the next five or so years. Whats the expected compensation range generally for outpatient psychologists? Whats the client load each day, and how much does each patient reimburse? Basic questions but I dont know much about the psychology end of things.

Eventually I would prefer to start working for myself for sure..

I am working on building my finances, as im a younger attending but I can see myself starting a PP in the next five or so years. Whats the expected compensation range generally for outpatient psychologists? Whats the client load each day, and how much does each patient reimburse? Basic questions but I dont know much about the psychology end of things.

Eventually I would prefer to start working for myself for sure..
It varies significantly on region and population but this is from 2015: 2015 salaries in psychology

The median in my area is only 65k! I could make more than that being in a school on a 180 day contract.

It varies significantly on region and population but this is from 2015: 2015 salaries in psychology

The median in my area is only 65k! I could make more than that being in a school on a 180 day contract.
I know I'm speaking from a vantage point from which I don't feel the pressures those looking at such jobs would feel, but still:

Please, to all psychologists out there, if you're considering a job for 65k and it isn't part-time or a dreamy entry-level academia job in a low-COA area, DO NOT reinforce even letting someone think they can pay you that much.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I know I'm speaking from a vantage point from which I don't feel the pressures those looking at such jobs would feel, but still:

Please, to all psychologists out there, if you're considering a job for 65k and it isn't part-time or a dreamy entry-level academia job in a low-COA area, DO NOT reinforce even letting someone think they can pay you that much.

Yeah, those numbers are outdated and several of those figures are skewed as they make no sense unless factoring in part-time employment.

Stupid questions, whats the average daily patient load for a psychologist? Im just number crunching since now im on this mindset of entering the private practice world and opening "Dr. Amazing's Clinic for Mild-Moderately Depressed people going through a rough time, by the beach (cash only)"

Stupid questions, whats the average daily patient load for a psychologist? Im just number crunching since now im on this mindset of entering the private practice world and opening "Dr. Amazing's Clinic for Mild-Moderately Depressed people going through a rough time, by the beach (cash only)"
If just doing therapy, 20-27 therapy hours a week is full time.

Are we talking psychotherapy only or evals as well? 5-9/day will cover most of the average. Less if evals and testing are involved.

Last edited:
I have several reasons for not jumping into the waters of a private practice:

Balance - I am very competitive and driven - even more so when money is involved. I could see myself becoming a real psycho when I am being reinforced with money and the anxiety of starting a practice lighting a fire under my ass. Like one time during the summer after I got my BA, my dad paid me a grand plus expenses to paint the barn, bunk house, and out buildings on the ranch. He thought it would take me at least a week. I got that done, without being half assed, in two 14 hour days without lunch. Even today, I am still do that stuff if I pick up a side gig.

This is definitely a thing. When I was in training at a big AMC I was the champion of work-life balance etc. ect. but then I started getting paid per appointment and a switch flipped in my head and I started thinking that working 7:30 to 6:30 with half an hour for lunch was a perfectly reasonable and sustainable schedule. It was sustainable! For about 6 months.

I have had to enforce very strict limits with myself about the hours during which I will see people. I am sacrificing a bit of income but I am still making enough to just have one day a week completely off, like, don't-touch-my-EHR off and still be doing just fine.

Reactions: 4 users
If just doing therapy, 20-27 therapy hours a week is full time.
Not in my mind. If all I am doing is therapy, which I did for almost 5 years straight, I booked a solid 40 hour week, Of course, not all would show but I was also on-call one week out of four which added to the workload. It was a heavy workload, but completely doable and I was well-compensated.
As far as OP's question, there is a lot of variability that would have to be factored in. I have managed therapists for years and it is like herding cats. Psychologists are going to tend to want to be somewhat autonomous or partner with you in some way. Especially if they have a few years experience post-licensure. I personally would offer some type of split and if I take one on going forward, 75% of the billing would be what I would offer. MA level I would offer 70%. Supervisees 50% . That to me seems the easiest way to do outpatient. As I move forward and develop a program, then I will probably start offering salaries. No way could I pay someone a salary without a more predictable workload than a outpatient clinic. In my mind, there has to be financial incentives to ensure productivity in that type of setting.

VA community-based outpatient clinic a good distance from the main hospital, so we're bound by many of the main hospital rules without any of the resources. We also are subject to facility-level leadership that don't understand mental health. So either our policies and rules are set by mental health admin in the main hospital who don't understand our local needs, or local leadership who don't understand how mental health works.

We're also in a separate building all by ourselves so we often get neglected. We feel like the redheaded step-children.

I feel you there. I am housed at a CBOC as well and the only one doing what I do. The most redheaded of the step-children.

The upside to my job - no one has any clue what I do on a daily basis
The downside to my job - no one has any clue what I do on a daily basis

I feel you there. I am housed at a CBOC as well and the only one doing what I do. The most redheaded of the step-children.

The upside to my job - no one has any clue what I do on a daily basis
The downside to my job - no one has any clue what I do on a daily basis
:laugh: Over the years these CBOC positions would pop up. I think w. the right kind of person, they could be a sweet gig; I was not that person though.

The full-time (5 days/week) therapists I know see between 30 - 45 patients/week.

• Wow