Psychoanalysts & Psychometrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrownRain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to find out more about these. What is the difference between the two, what are the job prospects for each, educational requirements for each, where do they usually get hired to work (institutions), etc? Any other info. would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well...they have nothing in common really.

The term "psychoanalyst" refers to a doctoral level professional (MD or Ph.D.) who practices the orthodox form of psychoanalytic psychotherapy practice by Freud. The couch, free association, dream interpretation....the whole shabang. Not alot of these guys left anymore, but they are around here and there. Many practitioners still use psychoanalytic principles in their therapy and/or follow a more liberal form of psychoanalysis (known as psychodynamic psychotherapy) in their practice, but the old-school orthdox analysts are few and far between these days.

The term "psychometrist" describes a BA or MA/MS level progfessional who administers (and usually scores) psychological and/or neuropsychological tests. I did this for 2 years in a outpatient neuropsychology clinic before I sought my Ph.D. Psychometrists are usually suprvised by a clinical psychologist who does the higher level interpretation and formal report writing of the test results.

Last edited: