Psychiatry residency top 25 STEP1 (last similar topic 2014 sorry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waldeinsamkeit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have spoken to my residency advisor from my school, I have talked to the MedEdits advisor (huge mistake), and I cannot get a reasonable estimate of which institutions I am competitive for. I finally shook 240's are average for the top 1-5 programs. What about the other schools? I am getting so frustrated because I have no idea where to set my goal.

Average step for psych when I was prepping was 220, it went up to 224 this year I heard. I am just trying to figure out where my reach, middle, and safety range is.

If you got into a psych residency this year and don't mind on sharing your score and where you got in, I would be eternally grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I have spoken to my residency advisor from my school, I have talked to the MedEdits advisor (huge mistake), and I cannot get a reasonable estimate of which institutions I am competitive for. I finally shook 240's are average for the top 1-5 programs. What about the other schools? I am getting so frustrated because I have no idea where to set my goal.

Average step for psych when I was prepping was 220, it went up to 224 this year I heard. I am just trying to figure out where my reach, middle, and safety range is.

If you got into a psych residency this year and don't mind on sharing your score and where you got in, I would be eternally grateful.
Ooh, ditto... but you mean last year, right? Match is next month.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

What's your step 1 score?

Also, I think you should consider other other factors that make a significant impact on your chances too: region, school tier, AOA, pubs, CK score, CS pass (did you ever fail?), US vs DO vs foreign, class rank/quartile, clinical grades, and any red flags. A stellar step score doesn't automatically negate poor performance in all of the other categories.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with womb raider. Step score matters, but psych is one of the field where other aspects of your application are really important. LORs and evals in MSPE (had mulitple programs tell me I got an interview based on these alone), commitment/interest shown in the field, research, etc. Psych isn't like ortho or derm where a sub-240 is going to eliminate you from anywhere on it's own, but there are other factors which definitely can (like less than outstanding LORs).

Reactions: 1 users
What's your step 1 score?

Also, I think you should consider other other factors that make a significant impact on your chances too: region, school tier, AOA, pubs, CK score, CS pass (did you ever fail?), US vs DO vs foreign, class rank/quartile, clinical grades, and any red flags. A stellar step score doesn't automatically negate poor performance in all of the other categories.

Average STEP, abundant research, 10 years experience with psychiatric patients prior to medical school. So kind of a mixed bag.

You may get better advice in the psychiatry sub-forum: Psychiatry
Just one thing: please wait till it’s Friday before posting your WAMC there (it’s too stressful for those who are SOAPing right now).