Army Psychiatry Residency in Hawaii

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slw2014

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember many hallways being empty there last century. I went to a staff meeting, and the urologist told us not to refer hematuria to him. I'll never forget that.

I got sent to the pink palace TAD because they needed a break (seeing fewer patients than I was at the time). Stayed at the Hale Koa and drank cheap Mai Tais for a couple weeks. Was pretty sweet

Is it opened for everyone or just who are from US Naval Medical school?
I'm serving in National Guard and I wanna practice in psychiatric field. However, I'm an IMG. Is it acceptable for me to apply for this program?

Is it opened for everyone or just who are from US Naval Medical school?
I'm serving in National Guard and I wanna practice in psychiatric field. However, I'm an IMG. Is it acceptable for me to apply for this program?
TA - An IMG is not eligible to apply for a military residency unless you have an unrestricted license in a US state. Continue with your civilian residency application. Complete a year. Get licensed somewhere in the US then contact a military medical recruiter to apply for an active duty commission. Even as a licensed physician, the transition to an AD commission as a GMO won't be easy. Serve as a GMO for a period of time then apply for a military residency with no guarantee of acceptance.

Are you a US citizen? What's your YOG?

TA - An IMG is not eligible to apply for a military residency unless you have an unrestricted license in a US state. Continue with your civilian residency application. Complete a year. Get licensed somewhere in the US then contact a military medical recruiter to apply for an active duty commission. Even as a licensed physician, the transition to an AD commission as a GMO won't be easy. Serve as a GMO for a period of time then apply for a military residency with no guarantee of acceptance.

Are you a US citizen? What's your YOG?
Thank you for you reply. I'm a US citizen. my YOG is 2015.

Thank you for you reply. I'm a US citizen. my YOG is 2015.
Caribbean?

Bottom line, the military can't help you until you have at least an unrestricted state license. Some states will grant one after just an intern year. But that intern year will have to be through a civilian program.

Caribbean?

Bottom line, the military can't help you until you have at least an unrestricted state license. Some states will grant one after just an intern year. But that intern year will have to be through a civilian program.
No, I'm from Vietnam. I got the emails from recruiters about being practicing medicine in the US. Yes, it requires 1 year in residency in civilian programs. Just asking if there is any change in this Hawaii program. Thank you for answering my concerns

No, I'm from Vietnam. I got the emails from recruiters about being practicing medicine in the US. Yes, it requires 1 year in residency in civilian programs. Just asking if there is any change in this Hawaii program. Thank you for answering my concerns
Assuming you are an enlisted soldier in the guard and you got your MD before you enlisted. Your best shot is civilian Residency.
The program above is reserved for HPSP/USUHS students. on the other hand, even if you get selected by the active duty component program, it’be nearly impossible for the guard to release you to go active duty. The guard is very restrict about releasing people.
Do well on your step 1 and 2 if you haven’t done so, apply residency in your state or neighbor states. ( hate to say it again that the guard will not release you unless you complete your obligation )

Another possibility, and I understand this isn't real attractive, is to go to medical school again in the US. I know one physician in the military (presently a resident) who completed several years of medical school in Vietnam, came to the United States, started over in a US medical school, and participated in HPSP.

I got sent to the pink palace TAD because they needed a break (seeing fewer patients than I was at the time). Stayed at the Hale Koa and drank cheap Mai Tais for a couple weeks. Was pretty sweet
I scored back-to-back 6 week clerkships at Tripler as a USUHS MS3. OB and ... I think it was peds. Stayed in the provided BOQ for part of it. Brought my wife out and stayed in Hickam AFB TAD housing for the rest. Something like $17/night for a 2 bedroom townhouse. Good times.

Another possibility, and I understand this isn't real attractive, is to go to medical school again in the US. I know one physician in the military (presently a resident) who completed several years of medical school in Vietnam, came to the United States, started over in a US medical school, and participated in HPSP.

he/she can’t go to a medical school in the US. No medical school will accept him/her if the person already holds a MD degree from another country. Except NYCOM

some US dental schools accept those who already have DDS/DMD from other countries and provide a two year programs for those graduates

Last edited by a moderator:
he/she can’t go to a medical school in the US. No medical school will accept him/her if the person already holds a MD degree from another country. Except NYCOM
Is that simply an admissions prejudice or is there some rule about it?

I would think most every medical school would be delighted to accept 4 years of tuition from someone with a near-certain probability of graduation and bonus diversity points.