Psychiatry PGY2 transfer/swap question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoenberg3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all:

I pored through the archives but could not find a clear answer for the following questions.

If I am attending a psychiatry program as a PGY1 and want to transfer/swap to a different PGY2 program (in psychiatry)

Can I apply for designated PGY2 psychiatry spots -- I understand that UW, Stanford, Yale etc have them -- in addition to looking for swap opportunities/vacancy spots?

And what of the off cycle spots -- are these designated psychiatry positions or due to vacancies caused by dropouts?

Finally, are there any other programs in California besides Stanford that offer the aforementioned designated PGY2 spot? I would assume that the Stanford position would be quite competitive...any insight into this would also be appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t believe Stanford has had any designated PGY2 spots for many years. If they had a vacancy it would be because one has opened up. Programs often have open spots that are not advertised the only way to know is be in the know. Submit your CV and cover letter to any program you are interested in and let them know you would be interested if they have any PGY2 spots open up which can be unexpected. I know UCSF and UCLA had openings in recent years and UCSD often did in the past. Programs like UW have dedicated spots for PGY2s often to allow applicants from other specialties to join after intern yr (though they also accept transfers from other psych programs and those completing 2nd residencies)

I don’t believe Stanford has had any designated PGY2 spots for many years. If they had a vacancy it would be because one has opened up. Programs often have open spots that are not advertised the only way to know is be in the know. Submit your CV and cover letter to any program you are interested in and let them know you would be interested if they have any PGY2 spots open up which can be unexpected. I know UCSF and UCLA had openings in recent years and UCSD often did in the past. Programs like UW have dedicated spots for PGY2s often to allow applicants from other specialties to join after intern yr (though they also accept transfers from other psych programs and those completing 2nd residencies)

Thank you for that response. And good point about submitting letter of interest for potential vacancies.

Still wondering whether there are any dedicated PGY2 spots in California...