Psychiatry Moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jordansnfootball

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently a PGY-2 in Indiana. Looking for moonlighting opportunities (preferably telehealth).

I also wanted to know if there were any good resources or groups that provide resources for strengthening psychiatry experiences (e.g. boosting resume/CV).

Any insight is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would strongly discourage telehealth moonlighting at the start of PGY2. You have no outpatient experience and should do this under supervision before independently seeing patients. The best options early in training for moonlighting are in-person inpatient units or EDs that have attendings that can support you by phone. I am sure someone can yadda yadda about NPs doing this with far less training but why race to the bottom and not standup for appropriate medical education before taking someone's life into your hands.

Reactions: 8 users
Omph. Do moonlighting at places that previous residents at your program have moonlit at. Particularly as a PGY-2....that is very early to be considering moonlighting at all. I'm kind of surprised Indiana allows it. I know most states don't. You do not need to boost your resume or CV as a PGY-2. You already have a full time job lined up for the next 3 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Ethical concerns aside, I think this is also financially a bad idea. I think even the best trained PGY-2s would have knowledge deficiencies and may not be able to achieve the *minimal* standard of acceptable care when examined in a court of law. In addition, most places would not pay well if you are only a pgy-2, and places that give you $$$ might be sketchy and offer poor care which opens you up to potential lawsuits.

tl;dr IMO its too legally risky to moonlight as a pgy-2 without supervision

EDIT: Im old and got my months confused. I was thinking this is April instead of July. OP did you *just* start your PGY-2 year? Please don't practice independently

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested in something similar however I am a PGY-3. Does that extra year of training change anybody's opinions?

No, a PGY-3 doesn't change anyone's opinion. You should work at places that other residents from your program have worked at and had good experiences.