PSLF/ Public Service Loan Forgiveness and Reserves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Windpt21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has asked this question yet but can a reservist that achieves a "good year" more than 50 points active duty qualify for PSLF? or do you have to be full-time active duty to qualify for PSLF?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to be working full-time in PSLF-eligible employment. That pretty much means you need to work for a public entity (county, state, Feds) or a non-governmental non-profit.

Military service only makes you eligible for PSLF because your employer is the federal government. This is also true for non-military civilian physicians working on base for DoD. Nothing special about the military for the purposes of PSLF. And therefore, your part-time military service doesn't meet criteria for PSLF.

You need to be working full-time in PSLF-eligible employment. That pretty much means you need to work for a public entity (county, state, Feds) or a non-governmental non-profit.

Military service only makes you eligible for PSLF because your employer is the federal government. This is also true for non-military civilian physicians working on base for DoD. Nothing special about the military for the purposes of PSLF. And therefore, your part-time military service doesn't meet criteria for PSLF.

In PSLF if you have two part time jobs that equal 30 hours at a qualifying employer you qualify for PSLF. Would reserves be considered a part time job ?

Members don't see this ad :)
In PSLF if you have two part time jobs that equal 30 hours at a qualifying employer you qualify for PSLF. Would reserves be considered a part time job ?
Should.....but you’ll never get 15 hrs/wk in the reserves. If you just want to be in the reserves and also work part time in a qualifying civilian job you can

I would think you would be better off trying to get student loan repayment as an incentive for signing up for another set number of years.

I would think you would be better off trying to get student loan repayment as an incentive for signing up for another set number of years.

yes that would be great but I'm not an MD, only licensed P.T. and military isn't offering HPLRP for P.T.'s this year, I'm considering doing HPSP for med school and trying to figure out how I can do PSLF during med school or if there is any way..