Psilocybin Therapy in the Pain Clinic? Gamechanger?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score

"The draft rules also outline what kind of training those administering the substance will need to receive, which would include a minimum of 120 hours of instructional time and 40 hours of practicum. There is also a possibility for “accelerated training hours” that can be given “based on students’ professional credentialing, prior training and education, or relevant experiences.”

Members don't see this ad.

No issue with it for addiction.

It should be used for plenty of things, especially end of life care.

Agree here and PTSD, especially for combat veterans.

Another important question is which psilocybin company to invest in at this point?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you should have to have a Dx to use it, but I think certain ppl meeting certain Dx should be offered it as Tx.

There should be available cash pay options too. I've done shrooms several times and benefitted significantly from each experience.

If you haven't ever used them, I would recommend you seek it out.

• Okay...
I don't think you should have to have a Dx to use it, but I think certain ppl meeting certain Dx should be offered it as Tx.

There should be available cash pay options too. I've done shrooms several times and benefitted significantly from each experience.

If you haven't ever used them, I would recommend you seek it out.
Respect! Even though this board is somewhat anonymous, honesty often requires bravery.

On another note, are you a boxer (from your picture)? I used to box and am planning on getting back into it very soon, now that I'm in the process of making some big life changes.

Respect! Even though this board is somewhat anonymous, honesty often requires bravery.

On another note, are you a boxer (from your picture)? I used to box and am planning on getting back into it very soon, now that I'm in the process of making some big life changes.
Those are my son's hands after a Saturday in our basement. I did Muay Thai and BJJ for yrs. Now, I just train him.

It could work well for Modic-related back pain, treatment-refractory non-operative neck pain, painful diabetic polyneuropathy, medial branch causalgia, and cluneal neuralgia. It's opioid-sparing.

• Haha
It could work well for Modic-related back pain, treatment-refractory non-operative neck pain, painful diabetic polyneuropathy, medial branch causalgia, and cluneal neuralgia. It's opioid-sparing.
That's great bc all those Dx are being seeing at epidemic levels. Sweeping across the nation.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Wondering what they consider “relevant experiences.” If you toured with the Dead or Phish, can you get trained in 30 minutes?

If shrooms are endorsed for psych, why not kratom for pain

Members don't see this ad :)
Wondering what they consider “relevant experiences.” If you toured with the Dead or Phish, can you get trained in 30 minutes?
Deadhead for the past 25-30 years. Any others in here? I'm interested in trying to put together a cover band. Anyone else in here play and relatively local to me. PM me if there are any takers.

There's profound benefit in using psilocybin, with zero addictive potential.

Not true for kratum.

Deadhead for the past 25-30 years. Any others in here? I'm interested in trying to put together a cover band. Anyone else in here play and relatively local to me. PM me if there are any takers.

I play a mean tambourine but my wife is the big Deadhead.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't claim to be an expert, but psilocybin is a potent serotonin and dopamine agonist. It's not risk free.

"What is its effect on the body?
The physical effects include: • Nausea, vomiting, muscle weakness, and lack of coordination

What is its effect on the mind?
The psychological consequences of psilocybin use include hallucinations and an inability to discern fantasy from reality. Panic reactions and a psychotic-like episode also may occur, particularly if a user ingests a high dose.

What are its overdose effects? Effects of overdose include: • Longer, more intense “trip” episodes, psychosis, and possible death"

I don't claim to be an expert, but psilocybin is a potent serotonin and dopamine agonist. It's not risk free.

"What is its effect on the body?
The physical effects include: • Nausea, vomiting, muscle weakness, and lack of coordination

What is its effect on the mind?
The psychological consequences of psilocybin use include hallucinations and an inability to discern fantasy from reality. Panic reactions and a psychotic-like episode also may occur, particularly if a user ingests a high dose.

What are its overdose effects? Effects of overdose include: • Longer, more intense “trip” episodes, psychosis, and possible death"

So you don't have a clue what you're talking about right? That's obvious.

There's risk driving a car and walking down steps.

Everything on Earth has risk.

In a controlled environment, psilocybin is a very powerful treatment for many things, and in an uncontrolled environment with an emotionally unstable person you're talking 4-6 hrs of emotional turmoil from which you emerge nearly 100% of the time unscathed longterm.

Heroic doses have consequences on poorly selected individuals, but those consequences are gone 4 hrs later.

You shouldn't get an heroic dose if you're inexperienced, so...don't give those ppl huge doses.

Microdosing is virtually risk free.

Addiction risk is practically 0%.

So you don't have a clue what you're talking about right? That's obvious.

There's risk driving a car and walking down steps.

Everything on Earth has risk.

In a controlled environment, psilocybin is a very powerful treatment for many things, and in an uncontrolled environment with an emotionally unstable person you're talking 4-6 hrs of emotional turmoil from which you emerge nearly 100% of the time unscathed longterm.

Heroic doses have consequences on poorly selected individuals, but those consequences are gone 4 hrs later.

You shouldn't get an heroic dose if you're inexperienced, so...don't give those ppl huge doses.

Microdosing is virtually risk free.

Addiction risk is practically 0%.
Wow dude, you seem angry. Go chew some plants.

• Haha
Im not sure there are any documented cases of fatality from psilocybin overdose, if there are, they are exceedingly rare. I tried a quick search, but couldn't find anything.

Wow dude, you seem angry. Go chew some plants.
Not meaning to come off that way.

You seem to have a dismissive opinion about something for which you're pretty ignorant.

I'm not in favor of cocaine or legalizing whatever for whomever, but psilocybin can be beneficial for many people.

I'm skeptical about modern medicine and 95% of the crap I hear about on a daily basis.

there are some risks, that i can see from browsing pubmed.

low risk of addiction. some learned ppl have suggested making this a Schedule IV drug. seems like use under controlled environment eliminates most issues.

and maybe not a good idea for adolescents (similar to medical marijuana).

there are some risks, that i can see from browsing pubmed.

low risk of addiction. some learned ppl have suggested making this a Schedule IV drug. seems like use under controlled environment eliminates most issues.

and maybe not a good idea for adolescents (similar to medical marijuana).

I think properly selected adults in a controlled setting is a great idea.

That's using this for certain Dx such as PTSD, depression and addiction, but especially end of life in say a terminal CA patient.

Acceptance of one's impending death goes a long way, and mushrooms could significantly help with that.

Recreationally, I think it should be available for consenting adults and hosted by experienced coaches.

The hurdle is dose consistency and quality control. Ensuring your product is reliably potent matters, so when a 46 yo soccer mom decides to work some things out over her relationship with her dad, she needs a reasonable starting dose instead of taking a giant sip from Mother Nature's nipple.

Also, packaging it in capsule form helps. The mushroom stalk and cap can be awkward to eat.

Most adolescents lack experience in coping, and they shouldn't use mushrooms bc you've got to be able to handle the potential stress of the situation. If your frontal lobe isn't fully developed I wouldn't do it.

Packaging and quality control help with mitigating potentially stressful experiences. An evenly measured capsule allows for strict dosing. Microdosing is easy in that situation.

I think a beneficial thing about psilocybin is that it can completely reset your perspective on things, and different perspective is something most chronic pain patients desperately need

Minimal effect on dopamine that I’m aware of, and therefore very unlikely to be subject to the typical mechanism of addiction:
“Psilocybin does not act directly on dopamine D1 or D2 receptors (Creese et al. 1975) or on histamine H2 receptors (Green et al. 1978). Very high doses of psilocybin (25 mg/kg) increased levels of the norepinephrine metabolite 3H-normetanephrine (Stolk et al. 1974), but it is unlikely that typical doses of psilocybin used in human research will affect norepinephrine.” (https://maps.org/research-archive/psilo/psilo_ib.pdf)
I’m curious about the effects and particularly microdosing, but too afraid of the legal and career implications to actually attempt to acquire or try it.

Minimal effect on dopamine that I’m aware of, and therefore very unlikely to be subject to the typical mechanism of addiction:
“Psilocybin does not act directly on dopamine D1 or D2 receptors (Creese et al. 1975) or on histamine H2 receptors (Green et al. 1978). Very high doses of psilocybin (25 mg/kg) increased levels of the norepinephrine metabolite 3H-normetanephrine (Stolk et al. 1974), but it is unlikely that typical doses of psilocybin used in human research will affect norepinephrine.” (https://maps.org/research-archive/psilo/psilo_ib.pdf)
I’m curious about the effects and particularly microdosing, but too afraid of the legal and career implications to actually attempt to acquire or try it.
I don't think it would be very difficult to obtain and/or to hunt for. I'm a mushroom hunter myself (non-psychedelic morels) on my farm. Depending on where you're located, psilocybin cubenis is usually much easier to find than morels. P. cubenis doesn't grow where I am.

Just visit your local cattle pasture if you're in the right region. Like the poppy plant, where morphine and codeine derive from (morphine is used to make heroin), p. cubenis and other psychedelic plants are far more commonplace in the US than most people realize. Plants containing chemical structures classified as illegal drugs by the DEA, are ubiquitous in the US and literally surround us. I'm a very amateur horticulturalists.

If I were to hunt for them, I would definitely want to know what I was doing as the poisonous ones can kill you. They're also pretty easy to cultivate if you so desired. Just create a sterile terrarium and obtain some spores. As far as I know, spores remain legal since they do not contain anything to be considered illegal, just like hemp seeds.

I WOULD NEVER ADVOCATE USING ILLICIT SUBSTANCES NOR RECOMMEND ANYONE DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL EVER but I think some people would be more concerned about whether or not you're ready to use them than the legality of it or career implications. Not that I would know but once you open the doors of perception you can never fully close them again. With regard to work, the main concern I would have is that you would want to return to it afterward.

"Taking LSD was a profound experience, one of the most important things in my life, ...LSD shows you that there's another side to the coin, and you can't remember it when it wears off, but you know it. It reinforced my sense of what was important — creating great things instead of making money, putting things back into the stream of history and of human consciousness as much as I could." -Steve Jobs

Those are my son's hands after a Saturday in our basement. I did Muay Thai and BJJ for yrs. Now, I just train him.
How old was your son when you started training him? I want my twins to train in BJJ but I don't want them to get bored with it and I would never force them. They're just out of the toddler stage and are getting pretty good at riding horses but I'd love for them to get into the martial arts. Both are girls.

Medicine is a science. Cannot advocate for eating plants in the wild like cavemen and hoping for a treatment. How come no one advocates for willow bark extract anymore? 81mg is ok, 325mg too much?

Identify the molecules that may be useful, use chemistry to purify, and test for potency/safety/efficacy for a particular dx.

Recreationally: sprinkle on pizza and chillax.

Medicine is a science. Cannot advocate for eating plants in the wild like cavemen and hoping for a treatment. How come no one advocates for willow bark extract anymore? 81mg is ok, 325mg too much?

Identify the molecules that may be useful, use chemistry to purify, and test for potency/safety/efficacy for a particular dx.

Recreationally: sprinkle on pizza and chillax.
Probably because willow bark extract was thought to result in ulcers (probably marketed by aspirin makers) more to an extent than NSAIDs (not sure if this is true anymore) Sometimes all of the molecules found in plants are not that easily identifiable and these agents work synergistically together. Sometimes, science can't emulate or explain nature.

Trust a pharmaceutical company with a major vested interest or a culture that has been using plants, or a combination of plants, for thousands of years for medicinal purposes. I don't think the answer is that straightforward.

How old was your son when you started training him? I want my twins to train in BJJ but I don't want them to get bored with it and I would never force them. They're just out of the toddler stage and are getting pretty good at riding horses but I'd love for them to get into the martial arts. Both are girls.
He is in 7th grade now, and started BJJ in 2nd grade. He's taken a few hiatuses bc of other sports (track and field, soccer, baseball, America Ninja Warrior), but he's done quite a bit of it. One Gracie Academy and one Straight Blast Gym. We started striking this year. I hold mitts for him and we do rounds on the weekends. He did 6 rounds Sunday (3 min round with 1 min break).

Fortunately or unfortunately, him and his sister were born to me, which means you have to be able to throw down. Sorry kids!

LSD and psilocybin are extremely safe. You take a large dose and your entire existence will be put under scrutiny in ways not possible without the drug. The self-inspection that takes place can be ugly (at heroic doses) bc most people have unrealistic opinions of themselves. We have blind spots and make excuses, but LSD/psilocybin cuts right through that BS...

Microdosing is good too, but it simply does not put your back to the wall and force you to confront your problems. Microdosing is a cross country meet; the heroic dose is the 100m.

Reactions: 2 users
He is in 7th grade now, and started BJJ in 2nd grade. He's taken a few hiatuses bc of other sports (track and field, soccer, baseball, America Ninja Warrior), but he's done quite a bit of it. One Gracie Academy and one Straight Blast Gym. We started striking this year. I hold mitts for him and we do rounds on the weekends. He did 6 rounds Sunday (3 min round with 1 min break).

Fortunately or unfortunately, him and his sister were born to me, which means you have to be able to throw down. Sorry kids!

LSD and psilocybin are extremely safe. You take a large dose and your entire existence will be put under scrutiny in ways not possible without the drug. The self-inspection that takes place can be ugly (at heroic doses) bc most people have unrealistic opinions of themselves. We have blind spots and make excuses, but LSD/psilocybin cuts right through that BS...

Microdosing is good too, but it simply does not put your back to the wall and force you to confront your problems. Microdosing is a cross country meet; the heroic dose is the 100m.
7th grade and can go for six 3 min rounds. Not an easy feat. He must be well-conditioned already.

Plan on getting my 5yo daughter started in BJJ soon. Wanted her to do KM, but nowhere in this area for that young. I really want her to be able to defend herself.

As a Catholic who goes to confession regularly and has an amazingly honest wife, I don't need drugs to put my existence under scrutiny. ;)

7th grade and can go for six 3 min rounds. Not an easy feat. He must be well-conditioned already.
He could go 8 most likely, but he's 12 and growing like a weed.

I worry about shoulders and small joints in the hands and wrists bc he starts getting excited when he gets loud.

Hard BJJ days are a different animal. No ceiling IMO. It is not as rough on the body as striking at full go bc there are so many opportunities to rest (guard, side control, etc), and far less dynamic than striking.

Kids start popping pads loudly and they like that noise so they hit harder and their form breaks down.

I'm building skills #1, and the cardio and physical benefit comes last.

To anyone considering BJJ in kids - BJJ does not make athletic kids more athletic. The contrary actually. Invaluable skill building.

Where BJJ > everything else is the sparring. You can go full speed several times a week and not get injured. By 6 months, you've gone against a live opponent several dozen times. That experience can't be replicated in a muay thai or boxing gym bc you can't hit people in the head full speed every day.

Mushrooms rule...

I definitely question the scientific basis for anyone saying that LSD is “extremely safe”.
Go on...

Take care not to mention any experiences with LSD created in a paint bucket in someone's garage.

I definitely question the scientific basis for anyone saying that LSD is “extremely safe”.

It’s actually true. Hard to believe for those who lived through the Reagan years, admittedly. These compounds are very safe if done in the right “container.” Not hard to find a lot of info on this subject. This is one of the most popular subjects in America currently. Lots of money going into it as well. I too believe it will have big benefits for much of the chronic pain crowd one day.

Please provide us with this evidence then.
Yeah, I'm gonna spend time looking up articles on LSD.

I can't imagine how either substance could be dangerous in any way to an individual in decent health using a clean formulation in a reasonable dose.

It makes no sense that would be dangerous.

I can only explain my personal experience with these substances, which have all been very positive.

I do not know anyone nor heard of anyone using LSD or psilocybin who was injured or harmed in any way from the substance itself.

You could find stories of maybe poisoning from ppl making LSD in their basement.

When ppl use too much they have a bad experience, but no harm is done.

So, don't use too much.

I can link you a ton of data explaining the harm of EtOH AND data regarding medications that you Rx people every day.

99% of the time I encounter someone with a negative opinion of LSD or psilocybin that person has no experience with either substance.

What's your favorite single malt bro?

He could go 8 most likely, but he's 12 and growing like a weed.

I worry about shoulders and small joints in the hands and wrists bc he starts getting excited when he gets loud.

Hard BJJ days are a different animal. No ceiling IMO. It is not as rough on the body as striking at full go bc there are so many opportunities to rest (guard, side control, etc), and far less dynamic than striking.

Kids start popping pads loudly and they like that noise so they hit harder and their form breaks down.

I'm building skills #1, and the cardio and physical benefit comes last.

To anyone considering BJJ in kids - BJJ does not make athletic kids more athletic. The contrary actually. Invaluable skill building.

Where BJJ > everything else is the sparring. You can go full speed several times a week and not get injured. By 6 months, you've gone against a live opponent several dozen times. That experience can't be replicated in a muay thai or boxing gym bc you can't hit people in the head full speed every day.

Mushrooms rule...
I'm not sure how we have a thread going on about BJJ and psychedelics but I guess that's what happens.

I wrestled and boxed in highschool and did MMA including bjj here with much younger kids. Once I cut down to 2 days per week I'm going to start it up again.

I've gotten pretty hurt doing BJJ but agree that it's not the same. I wear head gear but still don't like getting hit. It takes me some time to recover afterwards. I don't think it's the same as getting hit when you're younger. I also wear ear guards. It seems that the younger kids want cauliflower ears as a rite of passage but I definitely don't.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how we have a thread going on about BJJ and psychedelics but I guess that's what happens.

I wrestled and boxed in highschool and did MMA including bjj here with much younger kids. Once I cut down to 2 days per week I'm going to start it up again.

I've gotten pretty hurt doing BJJ but agree that it's not the same. I wear head gear but still don't like getting hit. It takes me some time to recover afterwards. I don't think it's the same as getting hit when you're younger. I also wear ear guards. It seems that the younger kids want cauliflower ears as a right of passage but I definitely don't.

joe rogan podcast = fighting and psychedelics
These are probably 2 of the 5 most popular topics in the United States.
I have no evidence for this statement.

• Haha
I don't think it's been easy to study things considered illegal. Most research came to halt once the govt cracked down on it in the 70s. Here's a review that seems to indicate, at least by studies set to standards from several decades ago, that it appears to be pretty safe overall.

Two cases of serious adverse effects were reported...
-tonic–clonic seizure, without subsequent complications, in a patient with a previous history of seizures
-prolonged psychosis was reported in a 21-year-old patient with a previous history of recurrent psychotic episodes... This patient received psychotherapy and antipsychotic medication, recovering without later complications.
-No other serious adverse effects were described in the remaining 565 subjects

More recent studies also seem to show that it's pretty safe:
No severe adverse reactions were reported in modern LSD studies (Carhart-Harris et al, 2016b; Dolder et al, 2016; Kaelen et al, 2015; Preller et al, 2017; Schmid et al, 2015).
This is consistent with the view that LSD is relatively safe when used in medical settings and according to safety guidelines (Johnson et al, 2008)

Seems that it may be safer on average than modern drugs

In the US:
-3 to 7% of all hospitalizations are due to adverse drug reactions.
-ADRs occur during 10 to 20% of hospitalizations; about 10 to 20% of these ADRs are severe
-These statistics do not include the number of ADRs that occur in ambulatory and nursing home patients
-Although the exact number of ADRs is not certain, ADRs represent a significant public health problem

As for hallucinogens overall it seems there are some promising things coming out of Hopkins and NYU.

There are also several trials going on from the commercial side. So far the results seem promising. I follow them to some degree since I'm currently invested in several of these nascent companies. Risky for sure, but anyone looking to get in on the ground floor may see an opportunity.

I don't think it's fair to determine something to be unsafe when it's illegal. If someone is concerned about getting arrested and negatively impacting their career when using a substance, it seems natural that they would have severe anxiety and paranoia if they can't control these emotions when using this substance. That wouldn't really be the fault of the substance but more so the environment of illegality surrounding it. In the right setting, these adverse psychological effects would probably not occur.

as someone who has taken care of an entire family that presented with acute mushroom poisoning, i would not suggest people go looking for them in the wild.

area needs more research before it is something we should be advocating - research in to appropriate dosing, methods of obtaining and giving, etc.

I don't think it's fair to determine something to be unsafe when it's illegal
yes technically legality does not have a direct correlation with morbidity and mortality.

besides marijuana, can you name a substance that is illegal that has no morbidity or mortality? with cannabinoids, there is evidence for psychological concerns in adolescents...