Pschological Associate questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CpC90

Reaction score
Hey all!

I live in Texas if this helps at all :)

If one has a PhD but NO internship the only way to become licensed is by becoming a Psychological Associate; however, does anyone know how the pay works vs. an actual Psychologist? I am also wondering how supervision works and getting paid via supervision? For example, can you do your supervision hours in a private practice and still get paid or do you have to have a private practice under an agency to get paid? As a LMfT you can get directly paid but as an LPC it has to be under an agency so, where does a Psychological Associate fall here?

If you don't know, do you by have any resources for me so I can try and figure this out?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your state of residence is critical in answering these questions, because each state sets their own rules on this. For example, CA doesn't have a "psychological associate" but instead has a "psychological assistant" and a "registered psychologist" (both can refer to unlicensed and in an informal postdoc).

Hopefully someone in Texas can chime in, but these usually apply to pursuing informal postdocs to accrue licensure hours. In CA, you could get paid for a position in private practice when you're at the postdoc level. I knew someone who got $75/session but had to build up their own client base. This person was under a psychologist...maybe an LLC type of business? There were certain rules about marketing, and her psychologist supervisor wasn't allowed to charge her "rent" for the office, but somehow it was legal and completely ethical to take 1/2 the session fee as long as you used the right jargon and the person is an "employee" somehow.

Your state board of psychology will have rules and regulations around this, so that's where I'd look first, but the most useful advice will be from someone who has taken this path in TX.

Hey all!

I live in Texas if this helps at all :)

If one has a PhD but NO internship the only way to become licensed is by becoming a Psychological Associate; however, does anyone know how the pay works vs. an actual Psychologist? I am also wondering how supervision works and getting paid via supervision? For example, can you do your supervision hours in a private practice and still get paid or do you have to have a private practice under an agency to get paid? As a LMfT you can get directly paid but as an LPC it has to be under an agency so, where does a Psychological Associate fall here?

If you don't know, do you by have any resources for me so I can try and figure this out?

Thanks!

Honestly it depends where you work. I have licensure and an LPA and work at a state hospital and a private practice doing testing. At the hospital, I just get paid as you would at any normal job - like a Walmart. At the private practice, I get paid by my supervisors LLC. You can get your supervision and still get paid if you work under the said supervisor. As an LPA, no matter where you work, you have to be supervised by a licensed psychologist unless you've gotten the hours to be considered "independent."

Also, I'm from Texas lol

I'd definitely check with the board, however, because I'm kind of unclear on what is being asked.

Members don't see this ad :)
LPA's can become independent now? It used to be that you'd always need to work under supervision...

LPA's can become independent now? It used to be that you'd always need to work under supervision...

1616446793882.png

Not sure if you can see this, it's tiny. but yeah, LPAs can be independent. Happened in like 2017, or 2018, I want to say...

Reactions: 1 user