PSA: Learn to use Anki before the Fall semester starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nave

OMS2
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN friends,

With the Fall semester approaching I wanted to make everyone aware who hasn't used Anki and plans to this semester that there is a significant learning curve. I made the mistake last semester of trying to learn Anki when classes started and it was frustrating. So, please don't make the same mistake that I did! If you want to get the most out of Anki this semester I highly recommend you learn how to utilize it now and not when classes start. Here's my advice:

Before you start making flashcard I recommend you read the Anki 2.0 User Manual and this article on Effective learning: Twenty rules of formulating knowledge. These two should get you started!

Great! Now you can start making flashcards! After you start making your own flashcards and get an understanding of the basics, you should read this thread and watch this four part video series. The thread will provide you with tips, explanations of the individuals options in Anki, and will give you different deck options depending on your goals. The four part video series shows you how to utilize tools like cloze deletion and image occlusion. After all of this you should be well on your way to becoming an Anki pro! If you're still wanting to learn more there is a subreddit dedicated to Anki called /r/anki.

Good luck everyone and let me know if you have any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This was super helpful! Thank you!! Starting an SMP soon and was planning on using anki and but I think I will download it early to get used to it.

Reactions: 1 user
This was super helpful! Thank you!! Starting an SMP soon and was planning on using anki and but I think I will download it early to get used to it.
No problem! Good luck with your SMP :thumbup:

ANKI is such a time-suck to make flashcards that some might be better off with old school flashcards. I like the idea but the interface is less than streamlined and honestly, there are better ways of memorizing than rote memorization (memory palace, etc). None of the world memory champs use rote memorization, look into reading some books on memorization from people like Josh Foer.

Reactions: 1 users