PS help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to get a rough idea-how long should our personal statement for ERAS be? Putting this thing together is not turning out to be a good time!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

NMH2001 said:
Just to get a rough idea-how long should our personal statement for ERAS be? Putting this thing together is not turning out to be a good time!

Thanks!

Mine ended up being about a page with 10 font times new roman...but I just cut and paste and made sure it fit the space. I think it can be short or long just as long as the content is good haha.

Standard advice for EM is to not exceed one printed page from the ERAS site. I forgot exactly how many characters this is, but it gives you an idea...

The good thing about EM is that if you can say it all in 1/2 a page, even better!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some programs really like 2-3 page (minimum) personal statements with emotional detail about why you chose emergency medicine because of a puppy named Scraps you had when you were 9 years old....

Just Kidding - one page, short and sweet. Sell yourself in a page - if you can't do that, how will you ever call in a chest painer taking 20 meds...

NMH2001 said:

Thanks!

And don't stress on this, it's just a rite of passage. Most of us don't have the time or patience to read 300 versions of "The EP who sewed up my finger when I was 12 inspired me to give my life to humanity . . .etc"

But, I do scan it to make sure the applicant doesn't seem to be actively psychotic and meets minimum standards of spelling and grammar.;)

I can't tell you how many I have read (and the thought of being a PD and reading hundreds makes me shudder)..... and the shorter adn more direct the better.

And our PD does the same as BKN... a quick scan and thats it. Basically, can you put together a coherent sentence, be direct and get to the point.

The inspirational stories never are, really. And avoid mountain climbing and waiting table analogies... Please!
:D

Don't put too much stock in yoru PS. Just get it across and done... it doesn't have to be a Pulitzer Prize winner, just convey a simple message. 3-5 paragraphs is the average from what I've glanced at. Read that again. GLANCED at. If there's one reason why Program Directors wear glasses, its beacuse of the Personal Statements (and creating the P.I.F.).

Q

DrQuinn said:
Don't put too much stock in yoru PS. Just get it across and done... it doesn't have to be a Pulitzer Prize winner, just convey a simple message. 3-5 paragraphs is the average from what I've glanced at. Read that again. GLANCED at. If there's one reason why Program Directors wear glasses, its beacuse of the Personal Statements (and creating the P.I.F.).

Q
:cool: So PDs should like the 2 paragraphs I am planning on.

I hate PS sort of things. I feel like such a fake when I write these things. I don't have some great story about the ED. Every time I have gone, I end up waiting like 5 hours and I am already unhappy because I have some problem that is making me go to the ED. I just became interested in the ED because I rotated in a rural hospital and spent time in the ED where they treated me like a real doctor and I fell in love with the feeling. I felt like I was in the right place. I have followed that up with more time in a couple other EDs and I love it more and more. That's it. Nothing inspirational, nothing poetic.

Maybe I should injure myself a couple times so that I have more chances of having an inspirational ED story. (there should be a toe stubbing smilie)

trkd said:
I hate PS sort of things. I feel like such a fake when I write these things. I don't have some great story about the ED. Every time I have gone, I end up waiting like 5 hours and I am already unhappy because I have some problem that is making me go to the ED. I just became interested in the ED because I rotated in a rural hospital and spent time in the ED where they treated me like a real doctor and I fell in love with the feeling. I felt like I was in the right place. I have followed that up with more time in a couple other EDs and I love it more and more. That's it. Nothing inspirational, nothing poetic.

Maybe I should injure myself a couple times so that I have more chances of having an inspirational ED story. (there should be a toe stubbing smilie)

Oh, was I supposed to get hurt in my essay? That would take an extra paragraph....

Structure of my current essay:
Paragraph 1: I like many things, and EM has these things
Paragraph 2: I wanna accomplish some stuff, I can do this by working in an ED

What else is there? :confused: I thought we were past game-playing at this stage??? Is there a p[lace to check out samples?

Hard24Get said:
Oh, was I supposed to get hurt in my essay? That would take an extra paragraph....

Structure of my current essay:
Paragraph 1: I like many things, and EM has these things
Paragraph 2: I wanna accomplish some stuff, I can do this by working in an ED

What else is there? :confused: I thought we were past game-playing at this stage??? Is there a p[lace to check out samples?

check samples at medfools.com

I have this feeling like I would like to write down everything I've ever done in my life in the PS.

However, I don't want my PS to be the prose equivalent of my CV, if they want to know my accomplishments and activities, they can read my application.

I think it's better to focus on one thing in the PS so that it is more enjoyable for the reader. What do you guys think?