PS formatting on CAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wooow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone having trouble with indentation for the PS on CAS. It wants to put it in as one blob and when I space it out things look great, I go to preview it looks good, I go to save, then preview again and all spacing is gone???

Anyone with any ideas, I am not computer savvy as you can tell by now.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone having trouble with indentation for the PS on CAS. It wants to put it in as one blob and when I space it out things look great, I go to preview it looks good, I go to save, then preview again and all spacing is gone???

Anyone with any ideas, I am not computer savvy as you can tell by now.

I answered this exact same question just last week (click here for link), but will repost it here in case it is of any help to you.

My recommendation is that you trim down your personal statement to allow a full line between paragraphs. I realize your post stated your "PS won't fit," but I am almost certain that there is a line somewhere that is redundant or excessively "wordy" and can be removed. Ask friends, family, professors, or even those that have previously matched for feedback on your PS and even request that they help you trim it down. To answer your question directly, formatting is difficult on the CAS application as mentioned in prior posts. I ultimately felt like the complete line in between paragraphs was the most clean and professional approach to achieving the objectives of "indenting," though I must admit I felt I was offending my elementary school teachers at my lack of indenting each new paragraph.

Furthermore, I just looked at the PDFs from classmates that have previously matched, and everyone independently used the line in between paragraphs approach, thus suggesting this to be somewhat of the standard. Remember that PDs and admissions committees will be reviewing hundreds of applications, and the more clean, neat, and not-cluttered or overly-wordy your application, the more likely they are to read it. I'm sure there are those that didn't put a line in between paragraphs and still were very successful in the match, so at the end of the day, this isn't really that big of a deal.

Bottom line: edit your PS, eliminate redundancy, and find a way to fit it in the allotted space. If possible, include a complete line in between paragraphs to overcome the inability to indent.