PS and USMLE maneuvers on ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHMer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone could clarify the following ERAS issues for me. My school seems to be useless in giving us advice on this stuff.

1. USMLE score release: I've taken and am happy with my step1/2CK scores. However, I just took my CS exam. I was wondering if there is a way release my Step 1 and Step II CK not my CS results until I know I passed. Because I took CS before Sept 1, I don't think I can automatically release my USMLE transcript without my CS grade getting forwarded to programs when it comes in(even if I somehow didn't pass).

2. I have multiple personal statements, as I am applying to more than one specialty and am customizing some of them to emphasize my ties to certain geographic areas. How do you go about getting multiple PS versions into eras and submitted to the right programs. Do you have to do that before you certify?

thanks in advance for the help. Like I said, we get little help from our school. I also get paranoid about submitting things and not being able to make changes after the submission. I don't want to inadvertantly shoot myself in the foot.

cheers

Members don't see this ad.

When u request ur USMLE transcripts on ERAS it will ask u if you wish ur new scores to be transmitted automatically or not. So I guess u can answer no to that question.

As far as the PS is concerned, u can create as many as u want in ERAS. Just give them each a title which tells you which PS is which. When u apply to programs you will have the option to select which one you want to attach to each program.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info on the personal statements.

As far as the USMLE reports are concerned, my understanding was that if you selected the "automatic transmission" option in ERAS, any available exam results and any PENDING exam results would be forwarded to the programs you are applying to. I believe it states this on their website. Thus, because I have already taken the CS exam and am waiting for the results(likely for a few months), my final grade on this exam will automatically be sent to programs I've applied to.

Anyone know how to circumvent this issue? Do I just select "no" for automatic transmission, and then somehow individually send my StepI/II CK scores to the programs?

thanks for any help.

For USMLE transcript release, my school (which has great advising) told us to click YES for the first box (have your scores released) and NO for the second box (with the caution sign).
That way, you can see your scores first, then release them to individual schools as you see fit.

Once you click yes on the 2nd question and save it you can't change it to no...I did it and tried to switch it to no and it won't let me...Hope my CS goes well too, but can't do anything about it now...

Okay, I think I've got it. Thanks for the info. I was just nervous that even if I didn't choose the auto re-transmit option, my pending scores would be sent as part of my agreement to release my transcript. After having scrutinized the ERAS online manual, I don't think this is the case (hopefully).

Also, I thought that we had to pay an additional $50 or so to USMLE/NBME to have our scores released. However, this is not stated on ERAS or the ERAS manual. Is it just included in our general ERAS fees?

thanks

So, do you need to pay it individually (through the USMLE website or something), or is it included in the basic eras fees? I released my USMLE transcript, but wasn't prompted to pay.

I just want to make sure that my scores get out asap, so I don't want to delay the process by not being aware of what/where to pay.