PRS & Army

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinednh09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to pursue reconstructive surgery for wounded warriors, and recently i've been looking into joining the reserves when I start residency. My main concern is that when you leave residency, you have the potential to deploy for up to 120 days (and only once every 15-18 mos), or if you don't deploy you may have to go work at an army hospital while those surgeons go abroad (again, 120 days max). If you don't deploy, you can work 2 days a month at a VA in the area. My concern is that coming out of residency if I have these committments, will I be able to get a job? Will an academic department not take me because of the possibility (3 years) that I would deploy for 120 days? What about private practice?

The only incentive to committing now is that if I know I want to do it, I can have the benefit of loan repayment throughout residency and leave residency loan-free.

Any thoughts about how jobs might view this in plastic surgery would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Another option if you want to help treat soldiers is to work for a military hospital as a civilian.

I am also interested in the reserves and PRS. I know that as you mention above you can still treat soldiers, but will being in the reserves make it harder to get a civilian job after residency?

Bump, I'm in the same situation and set to swear in next month. Will this effect my civilian career if I want to do academics?