Protons are blowing Rad Onc's boat out the CMS water

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I said "or", not "and". I don't think you got my point. I'm not supportive of protons for prostate, but I'm saying that the SEER study that was quoted isn't a good way to justify that point. I'm also saying that protons for prostate are much more palatable if they are used as a means to hypofractionate or SBRT. In other words...in general for prostate, protons <<< IMRT but proton hypofractionation/SBRT >>> IMRT conventional fractionation.
Reimbursement wise that is incorrect unless they agree to imrt prices. Still could be wildly expensive even then compared to a standard hospital or freestanding center if they negotiated a ridiculous rate for IMRT.

Apm will screw proton centers the most by a mile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ions are the future of our field. Plain and simple. Do not fight it or you will be left behind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reimbursement wise that is incorrect unless they agree to imrt prices. Still could be wildly expensive even then compared to a standard hospital or freestanding center if they negotiated a ridiculous rate for IMRT.

Apm will screw proton centers the most by a mile

I'm OK with a smaller difference in reimbursement. I think we all need to bear in mind that reimbursement wise, generously doing protons are still MUCH better than IO. Factor in the offlabel IO and it's no contest.

I'm OK with a smaller difference in reimbursement. I think we all need to bear in mind that reimbursement wise, generously doing protons are still MUCH better than IO. Factor in the offlabel IO and it's no contest.
Sure but that wasn't your original argument... Guarantee 44 fx of imrt at most places is still gonna be cheaper than 20 fx of protons in a similar setting, esp when you factor in the IMRT guy isn't going to feel compelled to place a $3k hydrogel with fiducials prior to sim

Reactions: 1 users
Sure but that wasn't your original argument... Guarantee 44 fx of imrt at most places is still gonna be cheaper than 20 fx of protons in a similar setting, esp when you factor in the IMRT guy isn't going to feel compelled to place a $3k hydrogel with fiducials prior to sim
almost 2x that hydrogel cost where I am for the kit

• Wow
Agree on the hydrogel. The urologists here push it and whenever urologist want to do something, I usually know why. When reimbursements start going down (and they will), watch how all of a sudden it’s something they are not doing. Typically, that would also mean more prostactomies will be done again (which I’m still seeing in high risk node positive patients with SV involvement seen on imaging and a questionable bone met).

Agree on the hydrogel. The urologists here push it and whenever urologist want to do something, I usually know why. When reimbursements start going down (and they will), watch how all of a sudden it’s something they are not doing. Typically, that would also mean more prostactomies will be done again (which I’m still seeing in high risk node positive patients with SV involvement seen on imaging and a questionable bone met).
Interesting... Many here have zero interest, esp when they find out they need a special ultrasound setup with a stepper, different from the normal TRUS for transrectal biopsy/fiducial placement

Interesting... Many here have zero interest, esp when they find out they need a special ultrasound setup with a stepper, different from the normal TRUS for transrectal biopsy/fiducial placement
Urologists here also have their own urorads setup.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK but by how much? As I said I'm OK with small increases, because that'd be the price tag for more patient convenience. And I would logically think the SpaceOAR would be more likely placed for IMRT than protons, so that should be added to the cost of IMRT, not protons.

OK but by how much? As I said I'm OK with small increases, because that'd be the price tag for more patient convenience. And I would logically think the SpaceOAR would be more likely placed for IMRT than protons, so that should be added to the cost of IMRT, not protons.

In my experience, it is the proton center that pushes the spaceOAR. The reps from the spaceOAR company point you to their instructional videos, one of which is DR. Fagundes (protons in TN, now protons in miami).

Why would you think that? The proton data hasn't shown any better GI toxicity outcome and anecdotally some worse outcomes. I've also heard the same for others, esp with places that weren't doing IMPT.

My understanding is that they mostly use spacers even now because of the perceived risk, but maybe some prostate proton folks can chime in.

Reimbursement is 2.5-3x imrt per fx last i heard

one explanation for side effects of protons. Sounds like they may have inherent sizable biological “hot spots” due to significant variation in RBE along Bragg peak. I had no idea.

“The linear energy transfer (LET), defined as the amount of energy deposited per unit distance along the particles track, is one important factor that influences the RBE [20]. As particles, such as protons or carbon ions, are slowed down, they lose more of their energy and a maximum is reached at the distal edge of the Bragg peak. As LET is a measure of ionization density, increasing LET leads to denser ionization events along the particle track. This eventually results in more extensive and more clustered biological damage [25]. Indeed, multiple studies have shown that the RBE of protons increases along the Bragg peak profile [26–29]. A comprehensive review of 2014 reported an average RBE for cell survival of 1.1 at the entrance, 1.15 in the center, to 1.35 at the distal edge, and up to 1.7 in the distal fall-off of the SOBP [21]. However, higher RBE values have also been reported [30–34]. For high LET radiation like carbon ions, which are particle beams like protons, RBEs up to 3 have been reported [35].
Even though there is increasing evidence that the proton RBE varies along the SOBP, the debate about whether or not to change the current clinical practice, which uses the fixed RBE of 1.1, is still ongoing [36–41]”

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Why would you think that? The proton data hasn't shown any better GI toxicity outcome and anecdotally some worse outcomes. I've also heard the same for others, esp with places that weren't doing IMPT.

My understanding is that they mostly use spacers even now because of the perceived risk, but maybe some prostate proton folks can chime in.

Reimbursement is 2.5-3x imrt per fx last i heard
Because in practice, it's not really about data as much as it is about clinician comfort/gestalt. Clinicians are much less likely to place a SpaceOAR with protons because they often say "hey, it's protons, it's like having a built-in SpaceOAR". It may or may not be true, but the majority of people think adding a SpaceOAR with protons is just diminishing returns.

And if you are correct about protons reimbursing 2.5x per fraction vs IMRT, do the math and 20 fraction proton isn't that much more than 44 fraction IMRT. Means that proton SBRT is almost certainly cheaper than conventional photon IMRT.

Because in practice, it's not really about data as much as it is about clinician comfort/gestalt. Clinicians are much less likely to place a SpaceOAR with protons because they often say "hey, it's protons, it's like having a built-in SpaceOAR". It may or may not be true, but the majority of people think adding a SpaceOAR with protons is just diminishing returns.

And if you are correct about protons reimbursing 2.5x per fraction vs IMRT, do the math and 20 fraction proton isn't that much more than 44 fraction IMRT. Means that proton SBRT is almost certainly cheaper than conventional photon IMRT.
Nothing in the data has come out to actually prove that though, and some suggest otherwise. Again protons haven't come out with data on balance to prove they are superior in a way imrt was able to against 3D

Nope, anecdotally it seems more likely as what @BobbyHeenan mentioned
I highly doubt it. If there are data, feel free to show me. Anecdotal evidence means nothing to me especially because it makes no logical sense that SpaceOAR is more likely placed in protons than IMRT.

I highly doubt it. If there are data, feel free to show me. Anecdotal evidence means nothing to me especially because it makes no logical sense that SpaceOAR is more likely placed in protons than IMRT.
To me it makes logical sense. Won’t delve into my reasons as to why it makes sense except to say I speculate (anecdotes, seen some things personally, etc) proton people have noticed generally more rectal toxicity in their proton patients and saw SpaceOAR as a salve for that.

Reactions: 3 users
I can third the sentiment that protons does not make it less likely that spaceoar is placed.

I can third the sentiment that protons does not make it less likely that spaceoar is placed.
Afaik there is no data to show protons have superior GI toxicity outcomes in prostate ca, but some data (argue against it all you want) that it might be worse and a lot of anecdotal experience from many of us regarding outcomes as well as the frequency of use of spacer gel by those practices

The data for SpaceOAR is from photons. The majority (100% actually) I’ve seen have been with photons.

Afaik there is no data to show protons have superior GI toxicity outcomes in prostate ca, but some data (argue against it all you want) that it might be worse and a lot of anecdotal experience from many of us regarding outcomes as well as the frequency of use of spacer gel by those practices
My general sense is (and sure I’m like a blind man commenting on a Picasso here) that proton shoppes used bigger PTV margins and infaust beam arrangements due to the various and sundry proton uncertainties. And, lo, protons were then found not to be in and of themselves magically rectal sparing.

A general rule is RBE increases by 5% at 4 mm from distal edge of Bragg peak. RBE increases by 10% 2mm from distal edge of bragg peak. 1.1 is a simplification. What this means is that any critical structure which is distal and close to the distal end of bragg peak may end up getting way more dose. robustness and monte carlo calculation is important. It is a common misconception that OAR directly behind abutting the target can be completely sparred with particle therapy. You need to be very careful with RBE uncertainties. For example if you allow a max pt dose to brainstem with protons to be 60gy, you have to understand that the surface of the brainstem could easily be getting hotter than what the TPS is showing you (Robustness, monte carlo, eval scans are important)

comparing carbon and protons, protons have no fragmentation after the Bragg peak while carbon ions fragment after the bragg peak.

Last edited:
A general rule is RBE increases by 5% at 4 mm from distal edge of Bragg peak. RBE increases by 10% 2mm from distal edge of bragg peak. 1.1 is a simplification. What this means is that any critical structure which is distal and close to the distal end of bragg peak may end up getting way more dose. robustness and monte carlo calculation is important. It is a common misconception that OAR directly behind abutting the target can be completely sparred with particle therapy.

comparing carbon and protons, protons have no fragmentation after the Bragg peak while carbon ions fragment after the bragg peak.
And what is “fragmenting”

These are all good reasons why I’d squirm if I were made to give up my Xrays. I think in protons it’s a bit “let go and let God,” hope for the best, and see where the clinical chips fall after coming up with the class solutions. There is/was some of that with Xrays too... but I, and tons of published experiences, have already slogged myself and my patients through it.

And what is “fragmenting”

These are all good reasons why I’d squirm if I were made to give up my Xrays. I think in protons it’s a bit “let go and let God,” hope for the best, and see where the clinical chips fall after coming up with the class solutions. There is/was some of that with Xrays too... but I, and tons of published experiences, have already slogged myself and my patients through it.

Look at figure 20.1

fragmentation refers to the tail of the carbon ion compared to protons (no tail)

Look at figure 20.1

fragmentation refers to the tail of the carbon ion compared to protons (no tail)
Learnin’ from the croc

• Haha
None of those regimens caused significant gi toxicity like doing simple non modulated field arrangements with protons did, thinking the bragg peak will take care of everything.

This came out earlier this year.

Devil is in the details:

No difference was seen in the rates of late toxicity between the groups, with late grade 3+ GU toxicity of 2.0% versus 3.9% (odds ratio [OR] 0.47; 95% confidence interval 0.17-1.28) and late grade 2+ GI toxicity of 14.6% versus 4.7% (OR 2.69; confidence interval 0.80-9.05) for the PBT and IMRT cohorts, respectively. On multivariable analysis, no factors were significantly predictive of GU toxicity, and only anticoagulant use was significantly predictive of GI toxicity (OR 1.90; P = .008).

Its not significant, but quite a trend towards worse GI toxicity in the proton group similar to what was seen in the Sheets analysis. At best, it shows toxicity is no better with protons. At worst...the role of protons for prostate cancer could be even more questionable.

I think enough of us have said it but we don't need to have extremes of pro and anti-proton camps. I personally think the exponential expansion of proton therapy to treat everything under the sun is an example precisely how not to advance medical technology (at least requesting higher level billing for unproven technology). That said, there are going to be times protons are better. People just need to think about the physics of the technology a little more. Prostate is a great example. There is PTV overlap with the rectum for most guys. BP uncertainty could easily be predicted to increase dose more than photons in this setting and it really shouldn't be a shock that late GI toxicity might be higher with protons here. Esophagus? No question that heart and lung dose will be lower with protons and that might be meaningful especially if long-term oncologic outcomes continue to improve. My feelings on the total toxicity score cited above have been very well documented on prior posts. But in some instances first principle counts for something...as long there is not data suggesting the exact opposite might be true.

Reactions: 4 users
A general rule is RBE increases by 5% at 4 mm from distal edge of Bragg peak. RBE increases by 10% 2mm from distal edge of bragg peak. 1.1 is a simplification. What this means is that any critical structure which is distal and close to the distal end of bragg peak may end up getting way more dose. robustness and monte carlo calculation is important. It is a common misconception that OAR directly behind abutting the target can be completely sparred with particle therapy. You need to be very careful with RBE uncertainties. For example if you allow a max pt dose to brainstem with protons to be 60gy, you have to understand that the surface of the brainstem could easily be getting hotter than what the TPS is showing you (Robustness, monte carlo, eval scans are important)

What about estimates of RBE increasing by 1.3 and 1.7 towards end of spread out bragg peak. It seems like there is a lot to work out here. Its not like RBE is a very precise/exact quantity and probably has tissue/tumor specificity and (maybe even fraction size) it is actually quite nebulous.

Last edited:
My anecdotal experience is that all proton centers use spacers or balloons. Anecdotes are meaningful when there are only a small number of centers...

What about estimates of RBE increasing by 1.3 and 1.7 towards end of spread out bragg peak. It seems like there is a lot to work out here. Its not like RBE is a very precise/exact quantity and probably has tissue/tumor specificity and (maybe even fraction size)
The honest answer is yes it could be. There is a lot we don’t know. We know as much as we can know but also known uknowns and unknown unknowns. This has to be taken into account when pushing the limit on OARs with particle therapy so you don’t hurt someone

To me it makes logical sense. Won’t delve into my reasons as to why it makes sense except to say I speculate (anecdotes, seen some things personally, etc) proton people have noticed generally more rectal toxicity in their proton patients and saw SpaceOAR as a salve for that.

I can third the sentiment that protons does not make it less likely that spaceoar is placed

My anecdotal experience is that all proton centers uses spacers or balloons.

How's this: in my anecdotal evidence, proton centers are much less likely to have SpaceOAR inserted. Happy?

This is what you get with anecdotal evidence...the war of "he said" and "she said".

And FWIW, not all data show higher GI tox with protons: A case-matched study of toxicity outcomes after proton therapy and intensity-modulated radiation therapy for prostate cancer - PubMed

Last edited:
modern image guided IMPT for prostate cancer has pretty good results. UF has published on this. Sheets paper is a problematic paper.

How's this: in my anecdotal evidence, proton centers are much less likely to have SpaceOAR inserted. Happy?

This is what you get with anecdotal evidence...the war of "he said" and "she said".

And FWIW, not all data show higher GI tox with protons: A case-matched study of toxicity outcomes after proton therapy and intensity-modulated radiation therapy for prostate cancer - PubMed
Can you really believe results from authors who capitalize the word “gray?”

• Haha
Have heard rumors about Uf data and protons. 5 yr PFS of 99% in intermediate risk? Protons controlling regional nodal and distant disease?
Protons rev up the abscopal effect… Mic drops!

Yes less “low dose bath”, less inmunosuppression. DUH folks!
Let’s publish this in the red journal. We get a few big wigs, claim we are choosing wisely and we’re good!

Last edited:
Prostate is a great example. There is PTV overlap with the rectum for most guys. BP uncertainty could easily be predicted to increase dose more than photons in this setting and it really shouldn't be a shock that late GI toxicity might be higher with protons here. Esophagus? No question that heart and lung dose will be lower with protons and that might be meaningful especially if long-term oncologic outcomes continue to improve. My feelings on the total toxicity score cited above have been very well documented on prior posts. But in some instances first principle counts for something...as long there is not data suggesting the exact opposite might be true.
Muti room proton centers are not viable without prostate.

Technically the one I posted above didn't either. It was only a trend. If there is a difference it is tiny. And probably very subject to exactly how the data is collected. But recall, the initial hypothesis was that protons are supposed to be better for toxicity. The idea that is universally so was silly at its conception. No technology is one size fits all.

Reactions: 4 users
Technically the one I posted above didn't either. It was only a trend. If there is a difference it is tiny. And probably very subject to exactly how the data is collected. But recall, the initial hypothesis was that protons are supposed to be better for toxicity. The idea that is universally so was silly at its conception. No technology is one size fits all.

using modern techniques and rectal balloon, spacers UW found only 7 % of cases required rectal coagulation.

Last edited:
This came out earlier this year.

Devil is in the details:

No difference was seen in the rates of late toxicity between the groups, with late grade 3+ GU toxicity of 2.0% versus 3.9% (odds ratio [OR] 0.47; 95% confidence interval 0.17-1.28) and late grade 2+ GI toxicity of 14.6% versus 4.7% (OR 2.69; confidence interval 0.80-9.05) for the PBT and IMRT cohorts, respectively. On multivariable analysis, no factors were significantly predictive of GU toxicity, and only anticoagulant use was significantly predictive of GI toxicity (OR 1.90; P = .008).

Its not significant, but quite a trend towards worse GI toxicity in the proton group similar to what was seen in the Sheets analysis. At best, it shows toxicity is no better with protons. At worst...the role of protons for prostate cancer could be even more questionable.

I think enough of us have said it but we don't need to have extremes of pro and anti-proton camps. I personally think the exponential expansion of proton therapy to treat everything under the sun is an example precisely how not to advance medical technology (at least requesting higher level billing for unproven technology). That said, there are going to be times protons are better. People just need to think about the physics of the technology a little more. Prostate is a great example. There is PTV overlap with the rectum for most guys. BP uncertainty could easily be predicted to increase dose more than photons in this setting and it really shouldn't be a shock that late GI toxicity might be higher with protons here. Esophagus? No question that heart and lung dose will be lower with protons and that might be meaningful especially if long-term oncologic outcomes continue to improve. My feelings on the total toxicity score cited above have been very well documented on prior posts. But in some instances first principle counts for something...as long there is not data suggesting the exact opposite might be true.
The problem when using first principles before working out how to deliver the technology you think is better is that you end up with some kids with necrosed brainstems

The problem when using first principles before working out how to deliver the technology you think is better is that you end up with some kids with necrosed brainstems
Might be splitting hairs here but I wouldn't think first principle would really apply in this case (similar to the prostate story). There is no question that protons can reduce low and medium dose bath for disease sites like esophagus. There are a lot of questions as to how to deal with uncertainty related to RBE and BP when targets/OARs are closely associated. This again comes from a poor understanding of the physics of protons and the myriad of uncertainties associated with them. We often ask them to do things that they probably can't really do.

So despite superior dosimetry from PBT, clinical outcomes were the same as IMRT. So what did protons accomplish except increasing costs?

So despite superior dosimetry from PBT, clinical outcomes were the same as IMRT. So what did protons accomplish except increasing costs?
way it works in medicine: usually a drug or intervention looks better in a cohort, but then fails in the subsequent randomized trial.

Context...I posted that link as a response to that overrated seer paper and others that said GI tox with protons was worse and that was some supposed justification to use SpaceOAR more in proton patients.

That was not meant to support protons for prostate. I have already explained that I'm against protons for prostate, but if protons would be used as a means to do more hypofractionation and/or SBRT, then protons may be more "worth it". Because as mentioned above, doing hypofractionation or SBRT is the most important thing IMHO. If having protons makes people avoid 40-45 fractions, so be it. I do it just fine with IMRT, but if having protons is the means towards a respectable end (hypofractionation/SBRT), I have no issues with that.