Prospective Pre-Med or DPT Student looking for honest advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futurestudent99

Reaction score
Hello Everyone this is my first post and im really sorry if I am in the wrong place. It's a long story but I will try and keep this short. I am switching careers from journalism and marketing. I volunteered with a PT and liked what they did. So im in the process of completing pre-reqs. After maybe a year or so I started thinking about medical school, but i waived it off because of the time it would take to complete it. I research everyday about DPT careers and even sometimes medicine careers. My issue here is DPT seems like the debt that you take on from school does not really look like a good return on investment when you consider the pay. I've always wanted to be a doctor since i was a kid but kind of quickly forgot about it when I took biology in my undergrad (i was forced to go to college and just took whatever classes i needed to finish).

Fast forward to now, I still have this itch about medical school. As I slowly start looking applying to PT school all i can think of is medical school and how the would be the biggest thing for ME to achieve. I feel like as PT my impact would not be as much as I want it to be since PTs get most of their clients by being buddy buddy with different MDs/DOs. I'm really good with people and I want to help people, but I also want to be smart that I can make a comfortable amount of money while maintaining a good work-life balance. Do MD/DOs find a good work life balance? Unfortunate due to COVID no one is taking volunteers and I cant shadow anyone. Is a life in medicine that bad when it comes to never seeing your family or just always being at ? I value work-life balance extremely high on my priority list right next to just being happy and fulfilled in my career. Which is DPT seems to have a good work-life balance as well. Any advice from non-traditional students, second career people, and anyone who has ever been in my situation will be much appreciated !

EDIT: I have looked at similar posts here about this topic, but felt compelled to explain my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: