Prospective Job Market & Compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yappy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The writing on the wall says that demand for ICU services will dramatically increase through the years as the baby boomers and subsequent gen X & Y age. I've also read that chronic disease is on the rise, so much so, that the millennials' children may not out age their parents' life span.

Taken together these factors make me assume that critical care physicians will be in great demand in the future. I was wondering if you guys feel this is a correct assumption and what you foresee future compensation being?

Form my reading ICU staffing mode is increasingly employed by hospital systems as "intensivisst". Is this an advantage to future physicians in terms of income and autonomy? Do ICU physicians currently enjoy their positions within hospitals? What is a mean competitive compensation and how do you predict the affordable care act to impact it.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The writing on the wall says that demand for ICU services will dramatically increase through the years as the baby boomers and subsequent gen X & Y age. I've also read that chronic disease is on the rise, so much so, that the millennials' children may not out age their parents' life span.

Taken together these factors make me assume that critical care physicians will be in great demand in the future. I was wondering if you guys feel this is a correct assumption and what you foresee future compensation being?

Form my reading ICU staffing mode is increasingly employed by hospital systems as "intensivisst". Is this an advantage to future physicians in terms of income and autonomy? Do ICU physicians currently enjoy their positions within hospitals? What is a mean competitive compensation and how do you predict the affordable care act to impact it.

Thank you.

I think your prediction that demand for CCM services will be high in the future is very reasonable. The COMPACCS study is over 10 years old, but other, more recent studies also seem to point to this. Future compensation is harder to predict.

Very tough question and very real. No body knows.
I think many factors will affect the future and how does it plays out is hard to predict.

But one think for sure, trained intensivist will always be required. Job profile may change, compensation will fluctuate, but their will be always demand for intensivists.