Pros vs cons, MWU or UIC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmderose

Reaction score
Title: Midwestern University vs. University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry ( both are in-state for me)

School 1: MWU

Pros:
  • Not in the city
  • Better equipment? (from what i've heard)
Cons:
  • More expensive
School 2: UIC
Pros:
  • Slightly cheaper
  • Have worked with many dentists that went there and have heard nothing but good things
Cons:
  • Not too excited about being in the city
Summary: I am currently a junior in undergrad at UWP and plan on taking the DAT January of 2023 and then will start applying June, IL is my place of residence, not WI. These two schools are my top choices because they are instate but I would love some feedback about deciding between the two.. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Im also instate and am attending MWU-IL! Since I have had the pleasure of visiting both schools, I will say that in my personal opinion, I liked MWU-IL for the atmosphere as well as faculty. It is more expensive for sure, but I have heard great things about the program and outcomes from students who have attended MWU and graduated. However, I would always encourage the cheaper option if you have that choice once you do apply

Hi! Thank you for input! Do you know of any events or anything I could attend at MWU upcoming that would look good on the application next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Title: Midwestern University vs. University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry ( both are in-state for me)

School 1: MWU

Pros:
  • Not in the city
  • Better equipment? (from what i've heard)
Cons:
  • More expensive
School 2: UIC
Pros:
  • Slightly cheaper
  • Have worked with many dentists that went there and have heard nothing but good things
Cons:
  • Not too excited about being in the city
Summary: I am currently a junior in undergrad at UWP and plan on taking the DAT January of 2023 and then will start applying June, IL is my place of residence, not WI. These two schools are my top choices because they are instate but I would love some feedback about deciding between the two.. Thanks!
cheapest

Reactions: 2 users
No hesitation, UIC. Midwestern has gotten way too expensive to be worth it. And class size just keeps increasing

Reactions: 2 users
Im also instate and am attending MWU-IL! Since I have had the pleasure of visiting both schools, I will say that in my personal opinion, I liked MWU-IL for the atmosphere as well as faculty. It is more expensive for sure, but I have heard great things about the program and outcomes from students who have attended MWU and graduated. However, I would always encourage the cheaper option if you have that choice once you do apply
Can you elaborate more on why you like MWU-IL? I am also in the same boat as @jmderose and deciding between UIC and MWU!

Can you elaborate more on why you like MWU-IL? I am also in the same boat as @jmderose and deciding between UIC and MWU!
Definitely! Ive had the pleasure of visiting both schools, but the one thing that really stood out to me about MWU was that they dont have any specialty programs. This means students get more clinical exposure on cases which would make you more prepared for practice after graduation. I also really like the overall atmosphere of the school. Another big reason I chose MWU was that you dont have exam blocks, you have them every week so it make sit far more manageable for someone like me with ADHD to organize myself and keep up with the material. Its def more $$$ but I felt like it fit me better in terms of how I am as a student

Definitely! Ive had the pleasure of visiting both schools, but the one thing that really stood out to me about MWU was that they dont have any specialty programs. This means students get more clinical exposure on cases which would make you more prepared for practice after graduation. I also really like the overall atmosphere of the school. Another big reason I chose MWU was that you dont have exam blocks, you have them every week so it make sit far more manageable for someone like me with ADHD to organize myself and keep up with the material. Its def more $$$ but I felt like it fit me better in terms of how I am as a student
Gotcha ~ makes sense! That's awesome. Thanks! :)
When you say you like the atmosphere, what do you mean by that? I'm also curious if MWU is as competitive as you would imagine UIC to be? Or are students also the same way at MWU?
I did undergrad in Chicago for a year and then switched to a school in the Iowa suburbs. I noticed there to be a big shift in student attitude and overall vibe, as Chicago students seemed more cutthroat and Iowa students were more chill and collaborative.

Gotcha ~ makes sense! That's awesome. Thanks! :)
When you say you like the atmosphere, what do you mean by that? I'm also curious if MWU is as competitive as you would imagine UIC to be? Or are students also the same way at MWU?
I did undergrad in Chicago for a year and then switched to a school in the Iowa suburbs. I noticed there to be a big shift in student attitude and overall vibe, as Chicago students seemed more cutthroat and Iowa students were more chill and collaborative.
MWU is competitive, but also very collaborative like you experienced in Iowa! I haven't started officially yet, but that is the vibe I got and what I have been told from students who are in their D3 year at MWU :) I do love UIC also as a school, but I didn't necessarily fit into the atmosphere of the student body and I figure its important to go where you feel most comfortable because dental school is tough in general and feeling a sense of belonging will really help

MWU is competitive, but also very collaborative like you experienced in Iowa! I haven't started officially yet, but that is the vibe I got and what I have been told from students who are in their D3 year at MWU :) I do love UIC also as a school, but I didn't necessarily fit into the atmosphere of the student body and I figure its important to go where you feel most comfortable because dental school is tough in general and feeling a sense of belonging will really help
Gotcha ~ makes sense! Thanks for sharing, that's very helpful. & It's great that you're going somewhere where you feel comfortable, as I think too that's important. Life's easier when you have a good group of people around you lol! Good luck at MWU, you will do awesome. :)