~* Proofreadin' *~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heyitscyndi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who would you suggest would be the best to proofread an application/essay? My school has a writing center where English students will go over essays with undergrads, but I don't know how much experience they have with this type of essay. Should I ask an old English comp. professor? I don't know how much help my advisor would be on proofreading and offering suggestions. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

My school had a writing lab that would offer assistance at any stage in the writing process. I found this to be one of the most helpful proofreading tools because whereas most people proofread your writing at a very superficial level (spelling and mechanics, etc.) the writing lab was able to make stylistic and structural suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used essayedge and would use it again in a heartbeat. Not only did they edit my essay but also helped with wording to get my points across more clearly. The editor I worked with also helped me cut 100 words from my essay to get it under 950 words. I considered using a professor but didn't want to drag out my essay editing process seeings how professors can be pinched for time.

I had my essay edited, revised and re-edited in 48 hours with essayedge. I felt that the editor that I worked with had a really good grasp on what I was shooting for in a personal essay for a health professions school and gave me some good ideas on how to tweak my essay that helped it flow better while still getting my points across.

In short, I was very impressed with the service I recieved and felt that it was money well spent.

How expensive is using that essayedge? I haven't really looked into it, but I have heard that it they do a good job.

heyitscyndi said:
How expensive is using that essayedge? I haven't really looked into it, but I have heard that it they do a good job.

They might have raised their rates, but last summer I was charged ~$100 for their service and felt it was well worth it. As far as writing centers go, you have nothing to loose. Afterall, most are usually free and a deal doesn't get much better than that. The writing centers that I have experience with are usually staffed by either English graduate students or seniors and they have seen a wide range of papers. It shouldn't matter that some of them might not have come across a personal statement designed for dental school admissions - afterall the premise of such an essay is rather universal: 'this is who I am, this is my goal, this is why I choose it, here are some credentials, pick me.' I believe that a good statement, whether it be for dental school or not, should be able to stand independant of the application and supporting documents: anybody should be able to pick it up, understand what you are stating. Hopefully you will find someone there that is willing, and able, to proof-read your essay, examine your argument, guage the strength of your opening and conclusion, and make appropriate recommendations. I would suggest you run your essay by your writing center before (and if you decide to) send it to EssayEdge. Best of luck!

Your pre-health advisor.

i had my dentist proofread my essay.