Prongs collar injury in dogs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anuwolf

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a German Shepherd lover and a dog trainer. I own two German Shepherds whom one I’m training for in Schutzhund – protection dog in Germany.

My male dog managed to stained incredible injury on his Salivary Gland. (I have no idea how this happen but I expected the prong, I might be wrong!) One of his salivary glades started developing a cyst. (A lump on the upper part of his neck). It got as big as a small size Floridian orange. I took him in to my vet who is also a surgical vet. She took a biopsy and did some other tests and the results were benign. (Thank god!) She gave my male couple of prescriptions to take and we then made a schedule appointment for surgery to have the cysts drained (to see if it went away). After couple of months later it came back. It was worse and my poor dog was in so much pain and I could see that he wasn't happy. He became rather depressed. I then took him back to see what was going on. She then re scheduled another appointment for yet another surgery. This time she removed the defective salivary glade that kept getting infected. So far my dog is doing super! However the down fall is that I can never do any kind of protection work with him again by the orders of my vet. I can only do obedience without having to do any kind of correction work around his neck area (This is very difficult to do). I am in the prograss of thinking of other and possible new methods of doing obedience without corrections.

My question is having for you (the vet) ever had any prong injury's that caused this kind of injury before in your patients?

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like it may be a salivary mucocele. If so, the best treatment is removal of the affected salivary gland (they almost always recur if you just drain the cyst). Although the cause of these is unknown, I'm not aware of any evidence that trauma is involved.

That said, the best person to make specific recommendations regarding an individual patient is the attending veterinarian.